Home

I need help with rushing

This is a discussion on I need help with rushing within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2017, 10:49 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: I need help with rushing

Running outside of the tackle does seem more difficult this time around, but when running, you should keep in mind the type of back you're playing with. Not every guy has the speed to take advantage of those plays, even if the blocking is good. Also, I almost never get outside the cornerback/final defender on the sideline, a great majority of my runs come on an immediate upfield cut after getting outside the tackle. Another tip, follow the fat guy in front of you. His road leads to the promised land.

As for some "money plays," I've found success with the Seahawks playbook and the 01-Trap (or whatever it's called) from the Singleback-Ace look, and Power/Base runs from Y-Trips (where the TE is behind the line of scrimmage in the B-Gap).

Finally, variety is the spice of life. If something isn't working, switch it up until you find something that works. Because of differing players, playbook and sliders, not every play looks the same for everyone.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
Rookie

mjd113's Arena

I feel like no matter what formation. "Quick Pitch" is designed to allow that DE/OLB to be COMPLETELY unblocked. Every time I even consider running it again. 5 yard loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd113
I feel like no matter what formation. "Quick Pitch" is designed to allow that DE/OLB to be COMPLETELY unblocked. Every time I even consider running it again. 5 yard loss.
once you get to all-pro or all-madden level, i find pitch run plays are highly unlikely to succeed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2017, 09:59 PM   #12
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

As someone who absolutely struggled for awhile with running in M17, I'll say u really have to be flexible. Lol. I'm not saying the blocking/running is hyper realistic, but seriously, u really have to watch your blocks, now. And, while running outside is more difficult, in general, I feel like playcalling affects this. If u run up the middle 3-4 times mixed with some passes, THEN run a toss/sweep/stretch, u can get to the outside. And, again, here, u really gotta watch the blocking and/or LB play. If u see the LB flying to the outside, gotta cut inside - if timed well, this can still pick up yardage. If LB is running toward your FB, get ready for the block to happen, and/or MAKE the block happen by running behind/at your FB so that the LB has to run into him. If done, correctly, right when the block happens, hit the sprint to jet away. And, overall, in terms of gameplay or stick skills, specifically, regardless of running inside/outside, u should normally have 1 blocker that u can sort of 'control'. If u run a stretch out of I formation, u can sort of 'control' the FB/LB interaction with your movements. Force the LB to run into the FB. Another piece of advice on that, again, on any given running play, run AT your nearest/next blocker, when u get near him, go around him. Lol. I know that sounds simple, but my point is that when running the ball, sometimes I found myself trying to setup blocks too early, and/or I thought the blocks would be 'here' and 'there' and they weren't. But, if I aim the RB AT the next blocker, if a defender is near, he has the chance of running into the blocker, and again, the better u get at this, u will FORCE the defender into the blocker and then take off. Ultimately, this is actually realistic. And, again, after a season or 2 in M17, I had devonta Freeman running a BS 2.8 yards per carry!! It was totally frustrating. I finally realized how the blocking was working, and that it made a huge difference if I aimed at the blocker instead of avoiding the defender. Now, I rock a solid 4-5 yards per carry and have some big games with Freeman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #13
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

One of the things that I think needs to be improved for 18 is for there to be a better balance between powerful sheds by defenders and controlling blocks by offensive players. On many plays defenders can toss aside a blocker and then make a play on the ball carrier with hyper quick balance recovery and flawless tackling.

Offensive players however rarely take defenders completely out of the play, where the defender is totally off balance or even on the ground, thus causing there to be too many TFL or 0-1 yard gains. Lineman getting to the second level in Madden needs to have a more devastating effect.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #14
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
One of the things that I think needs to be improved for 18 is for there to be a better balance between powerful sheds by defenders and controlling blocks by offensive players. On many plays defenders can toss aside a blocker and then make a play on the ball carrier with hyper quick balance recovery and flawless tackling.

Offensive players however rarely take defenders completely out of the play, where the defender is totally off balance or even on the ground, thus causing there to be too many TFL or 0-1 yard gains. Lineman getting to the second level in Madden needs to have a more devastating effect.

Oh yeah, no doubt. Don't even get me started on screen play blocking, man. . Lol. Biggest gripe for me on screen blocking, especially when the D blitzes. U get that screen pass to the RB, he's got 3 blockers in front of him and u can see only 2 defenders in your path, you're thinking, 'TD time!!!' But what happens consistently? Your most outside edge blocker runs INSIDE to block a trailing LB or something that was completely UNNECESSARY!!! Instead of maintaining his outside blocking edge to block the safety or cb who is the most outside player on the field and often is the ONLY player that MIGHT make a play. Your outside lineman should continue to run up and outfield (towards the sideline in essence) and absolutely CLOBBER the DB, especially if u set him up properly. Now, I've often wondered if madden does this on purpose because, admittedly, I would score a lot more TDs if they blocked appropriately on screens. But, if not, this again speaks to the heart of their blocking AI and WTF is their AI thinking??!! Lol. This game has come a long way in 3 years, and I'm fairly happy with it, but if they can tweak the blocking logic just a little, it could really be amazing. The screen play is the easiest play to run to see some of the ridiculousness in AI choices for who to block. Often, because of the choices that the 3 linemen will make conflict with where they were going, u will see 3 blockers vs 2 defenders, and NO ONE is blocked!!! And, the linemen may just simply run into each other, again, because they are all choosing the wrong targets. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #15
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

I have always used a power back to run with. Also this game rewards patience. Wait for the whole to open up and then get in there. Be happy with a 3 or 4 yard run and move on to the next play, not every play needs to go for 6 points. You will break some runs and they will be more rewarding when they happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
I have always used a power back to run with. Also this game rewards patience. Wait for the whole to open up and then get in there. Be happy with a 3 or 4 yard run and move on to the next play, not every play needs to go for 6 points. You will break some runs and they will be more rewarding when they happen.
This has been my experience thus far. And whatever you do...don't hit turbo(until already running for 6)!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »