Home

I'm having trouble resigning players

This is a discussion on I'm having trouble resigning players within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
I'm having trouble resigning players

Every player I try to resign using the "fair offer" option say the offer is poor, and they wont sign with me. Does the "fair offer" even work, cause each time I've used it, it has ended up completely failing. Am I losing all these players I'm trying to resign? If so, then I'm losing a lot of my good players because they wont resign. What am I doing wrong, do I need to make sure to offer a little more than the "fair offer"? I just offered Bennie Logan a total of 33.2M and he said the offer is poor.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: I'm having trouble resigning players

It works more often than not for me, though if I want to keep a guy enough to give him an in-season extension, I'll often add a little bit to both the bonus and the salary to the initial "fair offer" amount.

In many cases, you have 3-4 chances to get the offer right before the player decides to test FA, and even in that case, you can franchise the player and eliminate the FA option.

I have seen many cases where the player just isn't interested in signing, and I think that's fine. If the player tests FA, you still have a chance to compete for his services on the open market, and you also have a chance to see if you can pay less for similar talent.

A final observation is that if a player has an average or below average year, sometimes their contract demands will be lower in the "last chance" re-signing period that precedes free agency than it was during the season. I've seen this multiple times. I've also seen players' demands go up if you win a SB or they have a crazy good season.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:23 AM   #3
Rookie

In most cases a player takes the proposed contract in re-sign phase or asks for a little bit more. Then you give him 200k more salary or bonus, then he will sign.

Only thing is - it's very difficult to change the proposed contract and negotiate the figures. It's not very logical that you give someone 90% guaranteed and he won't take it, but prefers the normal salary. That's better at the end of the year, but of course you have only one shot then.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #4
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Depends how much bonus was part of that total and did you offer the years they wanted. Offering different no. of years to their ideal means paying more than the fair contract. I often wonder if winning record and strength of FA market often push or lower the point which they will sign. I often resign my own free agents for much lower than asking if I am doing well.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
Rookie

How do you see the amount and years they want? I'm pretty sure I'm losing all of my good players because it says they're not interested a week after they decline my offer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #6
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashhat69
How do you see the amount and years they want? I'm pretty sure I'm losing all of my good players because it says they're not interested a week after they decline my offer.
The "fair offer" is the first contract that is shown when you click on the player to open negotiations the very first time, and it's also displayed on the player's card in the re-signing screen before you click A/X to start negotiating. There's nowhere to see the contract they're actually looking for, but the "fair offer" is generally close to what they actually want about 95% of the time.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashhat69
Every player I try to resign using the "fair offer" option say the offer is poor, and they wont sign with me. Does the "fair offer" even work, cause each time I've used it, it has ended up completely failing. Am I losing all these players I'm trying to resign? If so, then I'm losing a lot of my good players because they wont resign. What am I doing wrong, do I need to make sure to offer a little more than the "fair offer"? I just offered Bennie Logan a total of 33.2M and he said the offer is poor.
If you offer exactly what's on the screen when you open the negotiation screen, 8 times out of 10 they will accept. Occasionally they will say something like 'The length and salary are good but need more bonus' or something, and the next time you go in and bump the bonus a bit. Do not ever lower anything they are asking for, as that will piss them off. (for example, if it says fair offer is 5 million over 1 year and it defaults to 3 million salary and 2 million bonus, do not offer 4 million salary and 1 million bonus).
Old 03-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #8
Rookie

I'm at the end of the season, and when I went to sign free agents, I realized my cap room is negative 3.14M I'm not sure what to do, can someone help?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »