Home

Guide: Scouting Projected Undrafted Players

This is a discussion on Guide: Scouting Projected Undrafted Players within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Pro

Old Man Nathy's Arena

OVR: 0
Arrow Guide: Scouting Projected Undrafted Players

Hi all. As many of you know, conventional wisdom states that scouting prospects projected to go undrafted is a bit of a waste of time in Madden 17 CFM. Even if you get lucky and find a guy worth taking with one of your picks, there's about a 50/50 chance he won't even be available on your board come draft day. For this reason, most experienced players traditionally avoid wasting their scouting points on players who might not even be draftable.

However...

What if I told you there is a pretty foolproof way of knowing which projected undrafted prospects will be available on your board in the draft itself? Read on to find out how!

Who this guide is for
Drafting guys projected to go undrafted isn't going to be a big concern for offline players since there are plenty of late round gems to go around (except for positions like FB, K and P who rarely have players projected to go in the first 7 rounds). But for guys who play online, finding some contributors from the projected undrafted talent pool will mean you can get great value out of your late round picks and gain a competitive advantage over your peers. If you're the only guy in your league scouting that huge pool of projected undrafted talent, you have the potential to hit big on your 5th, 6th, 7th round picks when - traditionally - almost every half decent prospect is off the board regardless of their projected round, and the rest of the league is simming or completely wasting their selections. This is something I've done to great effect in some of my drafts, and snagged players like Steven Jasper. See below. This was in a 32 man online league full of highly experienced drafters, I might add!

And here's a couple of other guys I just drafted when I was messing about a few minutes ago double checking my guidance here is accurate (N.B. you wouldn't take these guys as early as I did, but in a 32 man online league, these two would be incredible value in the 5th, 6th or 7th round):

How the Projected Undrafted Pool Works
There are 224 players (7 rounds x 32 picks) who are projected to be drafted, but under your scouting you will see there are another 126 available, down to number 350. However, this group of 126 extra players does not stay static week to week. If you keep an eye on it, you'll see that players in that undrafted pool move all over the place in the rankings and drop off altogether, while new players come in.

This is because there are two distinct groups of projected undrafted players who cycle in and out of your scouting board week to week. There is some degree of overlap between the two, but generally, if you look at your board in week 4, those guys will reappear in week 6, week 8 etc. but not in week 5, week 7, week 9. And that right there is the key to this whole thing.

The players in POOL 2 are the ones who will be available in the draft itself
Pool 2 players appear in the following weeks of the season:
  • Week 4
  • Week 6
  • Week 8
  • Week 10
  • Week 12
  • Week 14
  • Week 16
  • Superbowl week
  • Off-season Stage 2 (Combine week)
  • Off-season Stage 3 (Pro day week)

As I said earlier, this isn't completely foolproof since some Pool 1 players will also be available on draft day and a very tiny minority of Pool 2 players will not appear on your board, but generally, this method gives you about 95% certainty of which projected undrafted prospects will appear as available in the draft.

So make sure if you're going to scout projected undrafted players, you do it in the weeks specified above!

Top tips for finding projected undrafted gems
Here are a few tips to help you find good players out of the undrafted pool:
  • Add all Pool 2 players to your Watch List in Week 4 of the season. This will stop you accidentally scouting anyone not in Pool 2 during the year.
  • Use my scouting tool: This will help you identify guys who might come in over 70 OVR and rank prospects against each other on a big board.
  • Position changes are your friend: I've had great success moving big, heavy, strong defensive ends to DT (e.g. Steven Jasper above). This is the area you'll experience greatest success.
  • The positions really worth looking at are FB, DE, OLB, CB, FS, SS, K, P, C and G. For other positions, it's incrediby rare to find a player worth drafting amongst the projected undrafted pool, so keep that in mind when you're thinking about where to use your points.
  • For QBs, only scout 'strong arm' archetype players. They're the only ones I've ever seen come out as decent from the undrafted pools.
  • For speed positions (WR, CB, HB), wait until after the combine before using any points on the projected undrafted guys.
  • Pre-combine, try to avoid unlocking more than Skill 1 for any projected undrafted guys. You need to know their combine numbers before you have any idea if they're going to be half decent players, so hedge your bets and wait until after the combine to unlock skills 2 and 3 for guys you like.
  • Prioritise young players. Unless you get ludicrously lucky (or you're drafting a FB, K or P), you're not going to find a day 1 starter in the projected undrafted pool. At most, these guys are going to be 70-73 OVR and probably need to sit and develop for a season. That means finding 21/22 year olds is a better idea, as 23 and 24 year olds cannot afford to sit as they will never develop properly (remember, development is pretty much capped at 26).

Well there you have it, I've given away my biggest competitive advantage! I hope this helps some of you draft more effectively!

v7.1 released 16th October 2018! Check out the thread and download the latest version!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Guide: Scouting Projected Undrafted Players

Yeah this is good information, thanks!

I think I am only going to scout 22 or 21 year olds period (yeah I will miss on some prospects but I can develop the 21/22's easier than 23/24s). So having a pool with UDFA available is going to help identify a few more prospects.

Of course in offline I could probably find these guys in the available free agents anyway (although maybe CPU takes some of them IDK?) but at least this way I won't feel the need to constantly trade 7th round draft picks lol.

I will def use online too if possible, although I think my 2 online ones this is the last season we are doing cause the weeks are moving slower and slower...

EDIT - One question OMN - I know that for DE's (or I guess any position for that matter that the tool says not to draft UDFA) if the projected round is UDFA it tells you not to pick the guy. I tested real quick and even if projected round is UD, it will tell you not to draft. The only reason I mention this is because you mention that DE is a position you should target for UDFA.. Not sure how to handle that but just thought it was worth mentioning

Last edited by burth179; 04-13-2017 at 11:07 AM. Reason: One question
Old 04-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
Pro

Old Man Nathy's Arena

Yeah the main use for this is for online leagues. Offline, if you're not finding 2 or 3 75+ players and 3-4 70-75 players every draft then you're probably doing something wrong, and you don't need to raid the FA pool. But in online, you can find some potential contributors who would otherwise slip between the cracks, and actually make proper use of late round picks.

v7.1 released 16th October 2018! Check out the thread and download the latest version!
Old 04-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
Rookie

Yeah I hear ya about that offline this really wouldn't be needed.

I am just looking for different ways to freshen things up offline.

If I am completely ignoring 23 and 24 year olds this could come into play because I'm basically only scouting half of the draft (or maybe a bit less).. It will at least give me more guys to scout (even if I end up taking none of them).
Old 04-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
Rookie

EricFreakingBerry's Arena

After countless drafts now, it's generally impossible for the game to trick me on who is/isn't a gem or at least "capable" roster player. The quick and simple of it is:

Undrafted QB's = No, just no. Practice squad arms only.

Undrafted RB's = Speed backs make good return men. Some balanced guys can grow into decent backs if given effort.

Undrafted FB's = Physical ones if you want low OVRs with high ceilings. Blocking ones can be decent OVRs from the start but are more limited in development.

Undrafted WR's = Again, speed for return men. Others can all be capable players, Red Zone if you want size, Possession guys with decent combine grades are good development prospects, etc.

Undrafted TE's = Some can be just as good as in the draft itself, especially blockers.

Undrafted OL = Backup-level players only, you'll
rarely ever see a physically stout player here.

Undrafted DE = 4-3 Run Stoppers with 7.0 combines will almost always be great DT's in most systems. We're talking future pass rushers, future run stoppers, and even future nose tackles. Their strength/speed combo + usually good block shedding or power moves make them absolute steals late in the draft. Speed Rushers, Balanced 4-3, 3-4 Vers, and 3-4 Run Stoppers are generally all junk in the undrafted pool.

Undrafted DT = You can find decency here out of Prototype/Balanced guys, but there's really no point drafting them because the 4-3 Run Stopping DE's are all usually considerably better.

Undrafted OLBs = Pass Rushers can be decent backup level players. Prototypes can occasionally do the same. Run Stopping OLBs can usually be better than the undrafted pool of MLB's at actually being a MLB, so if I draft one late I may move him inside prior to cutting him, as he'll have a more successful career path at MLB.

Undrafted MLBs = Rarely good, but Prototype MLBs generally make solid OLBs in 4-3 schemes. They will often go up 4-5 points of overall when transitioning.

Undrafted CBs = When you find a Balanced, Run Support, M2M, or Zone corner with a decent-to-good combine grade in the undrafted pool, these are your 69-72 players that can either help you as a bottom of the depth chart CB or practice squad guy. Prototypes are generally just so bad in coverage you have to take a personal interest to play them and provide XP for them to make them worth the investment.

Undrafted S = these guys are all 68+ it seems, no matter what. Just find a guy that fits your profile for the position and you will never be lacking for depth at safety.

Last edited by EricFreakingBerry; 04-14-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
Pro

Old Man Nathy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFreakingBerry
After countless drafts now, it's generally impossible for the game to trick me on who is/isn't a gem or at least "capable" roster player. The quick and simple of it is:

Undrafted RB's = Speed backs make good return men. Some balanced guys can grow into decent backs if given effort.

Undrafted FB's = Physical ones if you want low OVRs with high ceilings. Blocking ones can be decent OVRs from the start but are more limited in development.

Undrafted WR's = Again, speed for return men. Others can all be capable players, Red Zone if you want size, Possession guys with decent combine grades are good development prospects, etc.

Undrafted TE's = Some can be just as good as in the draft itself, especially blockers.

Undrafted DE = 4-3 Run Stoppers with 7.0 combines will almost always be great DT's in most systems. We're talking future pass rushers, future run stoppers, and even future nose tackles. Their strength/speed combo + usually good block shedding or power moves make them absolute steals late in the draft. Speed Rushers, Balanced 4-3, 3-4 Vers, and 3-4 Run Stoppers are generally all junk in the undrafted pool.

Undrafted DT = You can find decency here out of Prototype/Balanced guys, but there's really no point drafting them because the 4-3 Run Stopping DE's are all usually considerably better.

Undrafted OLBs = Pass Rushers can be decent backup level players. Prototypes can occasionally do the same. Run Stopping OLBs can usually be better than the undrafted pool of MLB's at actually being a MLB, so if I draft one late I may move him inside prior to cutting him, as he'll have a more successful career path at MLB.

Undrafted MLBs = Rarely good, but Prototype MLBs generally make solid OLBs in 4-3 schemes. They will often go up 4-5 points of overall when transitioning.

Undrafted CBs = When you find a Balanced, Run Support, M2M, or Zone corner with a decent-to-good combine grade in the undrafted pool, these are your 69-72 players that can either help you as a bottom of the depth chart CB or practice squad guy. Prototypes are generally just so bad in coverage you have to take a personal interest to play them and provide XP for them to make them worth the investment.

Undrafted S = these guys are all 68+ it seems, no matter what. Just find a guy that fits your profile for the position and you will never be lacking for depth at safety.
Great stuff, agree with all of this.

DE to DT converts and blocking TEs are just about the only position where it's possible to find day 1 starters (unless your roster is truly awful), but plenty of other positions can give you depth from the projected undrafted pool.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
Pro

Dj_MyTime's Arena

OVR: 5

I took an un-drafted receiver in the 2nd round a couple seasons ago (started him day one) -- he came with SS development, an absolute steal.

We've since taken our Spring break, but in just three seasons, and a couple PB's, & end of the year awards he was easily the best receiver on my team, and in the league.

Eventually got his speed from 94-98, the catching / route were maxed once the confidence kicked in along with all the traits. Eventually go this stiff arm up to 80 to compliment to 90 juke. He was the perfect Steve Smith clone, and he's still only 24.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2047473988
Old 04-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFreakingBerry

It became obvious rather quickly this year not to waste high draft picks on defensive tackles and safeties. Like you said later round de are better defensive tackles. You can just keep letting those guys walk and save salary cap money. If your playing a long franchise everybody will have high overall safeties. I remember one free agency period where there were 23 over 75 players available and 22 of them were safeies.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »