Home

Madden NFL 18 Features New Target Passing, Coverage Assignments & More

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Features New Target Passing, Coverage Assignments & More within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #153
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 18 Features New Target Passing, Coverage Assignments & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
For some reason I keep envisioning a reticule on screen that you move around and then press the button when you wanna throw the ball taking into account the fact that you have to lead them to that spot creating over and under throws. When I say reticule I mean something similar to what you'd see in a first person shooter and the size of the reticule is dependant on accuracy ratings and quickness of the reticules movement based on the QB's awareness rating. So with someone like Brady you could whip that thing all over the place and the reticule would be larger making for a bigger catch radius while taking someone like Gabbert would be much smaller and require more time to move around.

I'm sure some would hate it, and I'm not even sure I would like it depending on how it was implemented but it's all I keep envisioning everytime I read about the new passing mechanic/system.
Go on YouTube and look at NFL Fever gameplay, that's exactly what it is. I'd be worried about maddens trajectory issues to trust this system in M18
Old 05-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #154
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

The thing with NFL Fever read and lead, it was just the direction the ball went and was still tethered to the receiver.

The reticle in Fever could be way in front and still go right to the receiver. I'd be surprised if that all target passing is.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #155
MVP

MizzouBravesFan's Arena

OVR: 13

Super curious about the Target Passing...if implemented right, could fundamentally change how Madden is played. I just don't know how they'd put in true untethered passing that doesn't over complicate the control scheme, not too keen on reticles or cones or any of the such.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #156
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
saw this on Twitter. The 50 gig install size is nearly double of what madden normally is on release.

Sent from my LGAS992 using Operation Sports mobile app

4K textures?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-14-2017, 10:20 PM   #157
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
The consumer can't win thanks to the monopoly in place.

There's no monopoly. Anyone can make a football game, it just can't be an NFL game. That's how the NFL has chosen to sell their license.

Should Coke allow Pepsi to make their version of Coke? Is Coke a monopoly? Nope, anyone can make pop, they just can't make Coke.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 05-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #158
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouBravesFan
Super curious about the Target Passing...if implemented right, could fundamentally change how Madden is played. I just don't know how they'd put in true untethered passing that doesn't over complicate the control scheme, not too keen on reticles or cones or any of the such.

Just look at NCAA football back on PSX...it had it. You threw to a spot on the field, not a receiver.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 05-15-2017, 02:31 AM   #159
MVP

OVR: 8

Target passing seems like the biggest risk madden has ever made. I guarantee a lot of madden players are going to hate this new type of passing. This will force the player throw to the spot on the field where they think the receiver is going to be, time the throw, have the knowledge of the route, etc... this is as sim as it could possibly get for a football game. Yet it doesn't really seem like the "sim" crowd is too excited for this pretty bold game change.

My only concern with the mechanic is immersion. I'm just not one to have all of these meters and visual cues on screen during gameplay. I can't imagine having this new mechanic working without some sort of indicator - like many have already suggested (I mean it does have the word "target" in the name). I'm hoping the developers really hit the nail on the head with this one. If they get the passing mechanic to actually resemble real life strategy AND making it fun and easy to use, it could easily be the greatest football game ever made

Last edited by johnnyg713; 05-15-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:02 AM   #160
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
Yet it doesn't really seem like the "sim" crowd is too excited for this pretty bold game change.

I can only speak for myself but I think it has to do with the fact that we have no clue what it actually will be. On one hand I could see it being a vision cone-esque move that changes a lot and is very controversial because of it. On the other hand I could it see it simply being a modified version of what is already currently in place.

I think it will be something like the ball carrier mechanics where there are different tiers of difficulty with auto and assisted options for newer users and full options for experienced users. But again, we don't know anything so it's impossible to say until we see it in action. It's going to be ironic though if it is a gaudy on-screen display like the other things they've added over the last few years when that's one of the main reasons I hear for why they got rid of the vision cone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »