Home

Madden 18 Story Mode - Let's talk

This is a discussion on Madden 18 Story Mode - Let's talk within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #9
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 18 Story Mode - Let's talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
I don't know much about FIFA's story mode. However, my fear for a story mode is a cookie cutter style setup where you have to follow along with some CGI story, and then you juts play games in between.
That's what I think when I compare Story Vs. Career mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #10
Rookie

iFnotWhyNoT's Arena

If it's a one year cut scene and then a full-fledged cfm be a pro style where you can develop into a starter, edit, demand trades, experience free agency, and hopefully reach HOF status then I think it will be a hit. If its a one year story mode that even the game results are scripted then that's just pathetic.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #11
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFnotWhyNoT
If it's a one year cut scene and then a full-fledged cfm be a pro style where you can develop into a starter, edit, demand trades, experience free agency, and hopefully reach HOF status then I think it will be a hit. If its a one year story mode that even the game results are scripted then that's just pathetic.
One thing we have going for us is that EA already had a test drive with FIFA story mode. So they at least have a had feedback from that extent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #12
MVP

marshallfever's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
My concern with a story mode in Madden is that I wonder / fear to what degree Tiburon's hands are tied with respect to how the game represents the NFL. Will the game be able tell an interesting story about a football player that tackles meaningful ground, or will it be a white-washed presentation of the NFL as the NFL views itself in the mirror?

I assume the developers will be able to execute on whatever script they are given at least to a reasonable degree - EA has done it already with FIFA and that got great reviews, and specific to Madden as we've seen with the intro sequences in the past three years the game already supports some level of in-game scripted sequences.
This isn't going to be Ballers are Playmakers, but I think they have some leeway to be creative. I remember back when they moved to 360 and ps3 and they incorporated the specific position mode. This sounds very similar.

Plus I can see them following how 2k doing it with their basketball series. My wife actually got into it before I erased her file by accident. But that seems to be a good mirror as to what they can do. I hope they give the main player some charm and realism. That's one area where I think the 2k basketball games story excelled at, the main character felt like a real person.

The only thing that turns me off to this mode, is probably going to be playing the mode. If it's anything like how the mode was on the ps3 and 360, it's not very fun to play for a long session, it was boring. Basketball lends itself well to specifically playing 1 player, with football, it's much tougher.

All in all, I'm excited for this package of Madden 18
Old 05-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I'm a big career mode player. But I never really cared for Story modes. Where most of the time it is a linear story with little to no variation in story and mostly just only for 1st season. I like the cut scene aspect. But when it gets too caught up with story that you can not control, then it hurts replayability. I don't want same experience for each player I create. Like with NBA 2k. I think the first was 2k10, until 2k13. It was more of a career mode. It started adding more cut scenes and story elements, but user still had more control. Then with 2k14-now, it became story based with little variations in story that lasts for a season. I rather just have cut scenes here and there and have a realistic individual player experience outside of playing games.

My thoughts of how it will be, is that similar to how it was in recent Maddens. Where you select type of player and ratings will be similar where you choose 1st round, mid round, or undrafted. But where you start out with the combine and performance will affect status. Might include interview cut scenes. Then a little draft scenes. After that is where it can make or break this mode. It could be where they force a storyline after that. Make it a simple theme throughout 1st season. I would want the latter. Nothing canned and forced. Just cut scenes here and there, a consistent theme, and playing games.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #14
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I'm a big career mode player. But I never really cared for Story modes. Where most of the time it is a linear story with little to no variation in story and mostly just only for 1st season. I like the cut scene aspect. But when it gets too caught up with story that you can not control, then it hurts replayability. I don't want same experience for each player I create. Like with NBA 2k. I think the first was 2k10, until 2k13. It was more of a career mode. It started adding more cut scenes and story elements, but user still had more control. Then with 2k14-now, it became story based with little variations in story that lasts for a season. I rather just have cut scenes here and there and have a realistic individual player experience outside of playing games.

My thoughts of how it will be, is that similar to how it was in recent Maddens. Where you select type of player and ratings will be similar where you choose 1st round, mid round, or undrafted. But where you start out with the combine and performance will affect status. Might include interview cut scenes. Then a little draft scenes. After that is where it can make or break this mode. It could be where they force a storyline after that. Make it a simple theme throughout 1st season. I would want the latter. Nothing canned and forced. Just cut scenes here and there, a consistent theme, and playing games.
As long as I can mash my controller to run a 4.4 40 or rep 30+ on the bench press, I'm good!

Old 05-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #15
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datninja619
As long as I can mash my controller to run a 4.4 40 or rep 30+ on the bench press, I'm good!

OMG, you just gave me Madden 95 (or was it '96) flashbacks! One of the Maddens in the mid-nineties had you create a player and then run them through a few drills. How well you mashed the buttons was how good your player was. I was terrible at mashing buttons so my WR player had like 65 speed. Needless to say, didn't play that year's Madden for long.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #16
Pro

StayPlation82's Arena

OVR: 12

the trailer looks like it'll be the combine, which could be very cool stuff. i think this will be a story and not a career though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »