Home

Off-Ball Injuries Are in Madden NFL 18, Changes to Hit Stick Functionality

This is a discussion on Off-Ball Injuries Are in Madden NFL 18, Changes to Hit Stick Functionality within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #33
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Off-Ball Injuries Are in Madden NFL 18, Changes to Hit Stick Functionality

I'm nervous to see how they implemented it but I'm very optimistic about the off ball injuries, something I've wanted back in the game for a long time.

Sent from my HTC Desire 625 using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #34
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

With me being strictly a franchise player only, this is great news. A very welcome step towards realism.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #35
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightline
Has the sim bar really been dropped this low?

I am happy to have this back in the game, but this is a difficult one to really give them too much credit for.
Okay, enough with this mentality: would you rather have off-ball injuries in Madden NFL 18, or not have off-ball injuries in Madden NFL for another year?

The bottom line is that the feature didn't exist before, it took man-hours and money spent to build the feature, and now the feature exists. Tiburon did real actual work to give us the "sim" community something we actually wanted to see in the game and something we asked for very loudly. On that account the Tiburon team absolutely deserves credit for doing that work and crossing an item off the community's wishlist.

The alternative mindset is that we can keep moving the goal posts, we can keep discrediting any sim-minded addition which Tiburon can budget into the game, because all the things we want "should already be there", as if we are the only audience Madden has and we're so important. Personally speaking, I'd rather enjoy whatever game they are able to make every year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #36
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I can understand that.

Hell I don't even know what the commentary updates consisted of last year.

I was under the impression that they referenced the NFL season.

I'd rather have no updates then hear something that not only doesn't apply to my franchise but also doesn't even make sense (e.g. if they reference that Joe Flacco threw 3 ints in his last real life game, but in my franchise he just returned from injury)
Yeah this has the potential to be immersion breaking. Say I'm in year two and in the real NFL the 49ers trade for Kirk Cousins, but in my franchise he's still on Washington, and I'm playing against them. Hearing how the 49ers just traded for Cousins while he's still wearing a Redskins uniform is going to be pretty stupid.

So, what we DON'T need is real NFL updates for Franchise. What we DO need is just additional commentary.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Okay, enough with this mentality: would you rather have off-ball injuries in Madden NFL 18, or not have off-ball injuries in Madden NFL for another year?

The bottom line is that the feature didn't exist before, it took man-hours and money spent to build the feature, and now the feature exists. Tiburon did real actual work to give us the "sim" community something we actually wanted to see in the game and something we asked for very loudly. On that account the Tiburon team absolutely deserves credit for doing that work and crossing an item off the community's wishlist.

The alternative mindset is that we can keep moving the goal posts, we can keep discrediting any sim-minded addition which Tiburon can budget into the game, because all the things we want "should already be there", as if we are the only audience Madden has and we're so important. Personally speaking, I'd rather enjoy whatever game they are able to make every year.
I agree. The mindset is kinda like having your cake and eating it to. We ask for a feature, and then when they listen we complain about having to ask.

...We are sorta acting like nagging wives aren't we? lol
Old 06-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucram7777
Off the Ball Injuries eh.....
Definitely a positive direction to take, Madden.

Now I'm intrigued on how these injuries are going to emerge. Is it going to be:

a). Other guys that are making contact beside the tackling?
(e.g. DBs and WRs battling it out, OL/DL men wrestling at the Line of Scrimmage)

-or-

b). When an injury is to happen on a certain play, a random "dice roll" on a random player of all 22 on the field?

Whichever the case, I just hope the injuries make logical sense; I really wouldn't enjoy seeing one of my players - who is miles away from the action, by himself UNTOUCHED - all of a sudden go down to the turf clutching a random body part in agony.

Also, as rare as it happens, it is possible for multiple guys to get hurt on a play. I know that's probably not here now - but I hope it becomes a thing in future Maddens.

Regardless, GOOD shout EA!!
They don't necessarily need anyone to go down if they're injured, plenty of guys get hurt in real life and walk off the field without ever stopping the game. Just have them announce player Xhas left with an injury, more info to come
Old 06-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 1

This makes a huge difference when it comes to roster building with offensive lines. No more filling your back-up slots with scrubs since they won't play anyway, going to have to keep some legit backups around.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #40
Rookie

Sucram7777's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
They don't necessarily need anyone to go down if they're injured, plenty of guys get hurt in real life and walk off the field without ever stopping the game. Just have them announce player Xhas left with an injury, more info to come

Yes, that's very true.

To use your example though:

Commentator: "It appears we have a man leaving the field on what looks likely to be an injury. Let's hope it's nothing too serious." Random guy turns out to be my Nickel Back or Safety.

....then I go back to the replay of that particular down, and it turns out that all the injured party did was drop back into covering a zone without being touched by any other player.

I just don't want to see things like that turn out to be actually devastating injuries, like the good old Broken Collarbone, Upper Arm Fracture, Broken Finger, etc.....from just merely dropping back into coverage.

That's why I said I hope they make "logical sense" if a guy who received no contact on a play was to end up sustaining an injury.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »