Home

Off-Ball Injuries Are in Madden NFL 18, Changes to Hit Stick Functionality

This is a discussion on Off-Ball Injuries Are in Madden NFL 18, Changes to Hit Stick Functionality within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #57
Banned

SteelD34KC's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Off-Ball Injuries Are in Madden NFL 18, Changes to Hit Stick Functionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
They get no say in that. The directive comes down from the NFL and they have to follow it per their licensing agreement.
Oh I completely understand that. Its just sad is what Im saying.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #58
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
No sir, it's not nagging at all, OL injuries during gameplay isn't a feature, it's a fix to an issue within the injury system. There is an entire thread about this from last year, in that thread is this same MO of defending this fix not being added, by devs and others, as a feature that isn't priority, doesn't matter much to most gamers, etc, just completely downplayed. Now that's it claimed to be done, it's supposed to be praised as the greatest thing since the stove, according to some of those same "others". Imo, that's far more exemplary of trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Everything doesn't have to be lumped into praise or criticism, the lack of OL injuries during gameplay deserved criticism but that doesn't mean the inclusion of it now, deserves praise. OL being able to be injured during gameplay is a good thing, that should be acknowledged and I'm glad to see it fixed..

That said, I'm unclear on what "offball injuries" actual entail and will be interested to learn how this impacts the overall injury system.
It might have been down played on here, but there was a strong backing for it to Clint on Twitter, including yours truly. There were big long discussions about it on Twitter.

That's the only thing I wished to add.

Offball, based on what Tverts mentioned from an interview from Clint, is player interaction injuries away from the ball with the OL/DL

My question beyond that would be if a S is tangled with a LG away from the ball, could an injury occur during that.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #59
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm hoping off ball injuries mean anyone can get injured if they are engaged with someone like when the WR/DB interact at the line of scrimmage or when a Safety blitzes but gets blocked by a Guard.

Last edited by Cowboy008; 06-12-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #60
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
It might have been down played on here, but there was a strong backing for it to Clint on Twitter, including yours truly. There were big long discussions about it on Twitter.

That's the only thing I wished to add.

Offball, based on what Tverts mentioned from an interview from Clint, is player interaction injuries away from the ball with the OL/DL

My question beyond that would be if a S is tangled with a LG away from the ball, could an injury occur during that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy008
I'm hoping off ball injuries mean anyone can get injured if they are engaged with someone like when the WR/DB interact at the line of scrimmage or when I Safety blitzes but gets blocked by a Guard.
Exactly what I'm referring to, I'm not clear on what offball injuries entails, the only thing I've seen stated by devs is it means OL can be injured from engagement/blocking with the DL. I try not to presume much with regard to how Madden additions perform in game, offball injuries sounds like an inclusion of all player to player interactions/engagements other than the ball carrier but guess we'll just have to wait for more details to be sure.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #61
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I'd be very surprised if this didn't open up injuries for interactions between all players, although I think that they may do something to make K's and P's still
be invulnerable since the A.I. of those players isn't good enough to keep themselves out of harms way.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #62
MVP

OVR: 1

the game that isnt mentioned anymore had gameday scrubs due illness that morning. now that was painful as there was no way to now until they mention it
Old 06-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #63
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
OL injuries during gameplay isn't a feature, it's a fix to an issue within the injury system.
Speaking from an engineer's persoect, you are 100% wrong. This absolutely is a new feature and not a bug fix.

It is absolutely not a bug fix because the functionality never existed in the first place. Clint Oldenburg flat-out said last year that off-ball injuries don't happen because injury checks are only calculated for collisions involving the ballcarrier.

It might be a returning feature if you can remember any Madden game which had OL injuries. I literally have only seen one OL injury in Madden ever and that was following a fumble recovery by the lineman, so between that and Oldenburg's first-party insight as to how the game works, I doubt the functionality has ever existed in Madden. At worst this is a change request, a modification or extension of existing functionality. A change request is also not a bug fix, it is building on top of an already-working feature.

If that functionality did exist but never triggered - if off-ball injuries were supposed to happen and they didn't (which was not the case, but let's pretend for a moment) - then it's bug. However, non-existent code can't possibly produce a bug because non-existent code never runs.

Quote:
Now that's it claimed to be done, it's supposed to be praised as the greatest thing since the stove, according to some of those same "others". Imo, that's far more exemplary of trying to have their cake and eat it too.
Stop putting words in my mouth, I never even used the word "praise" in my post. Literally what I said was that we should enjoy the new feature and more importantly recognize that the developers listened to the wishes of the most vocal fans of their game and we should credit them - not praise, credit, there's a difference - for responding to something the sim community requested.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #64
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

It might be a returning feature if you can remember any Madden game which had OL injuries. I literally have only seen one OL injury in Madden ever and that was following a fumble recovery by the lineman, so between that and Oldenburg's first-party insight as to how the game works, I doubt the functionality has ever existed in Madden.
Madden last gen definitely offensive line injuries in the game. So much so kickers and punters would be put on the line in place of them and perform just as well.......

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »