Home

The Darkside of M18...

This is a discussion on The Darkside of M18... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #9
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: The Darkside of M18...

Was at EA PLAY on Saturday. Didn't see any changes to field goal block gameplay mechanics.

Also, while we're talking about them, it felt like the competitive setting had more tackle battles than M17 did, so if you don't like tackle battles I'd avoid competitive. Tackle battles are still present on simulation settings.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #10
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Also, while we're talking about them, it felt like the competitive setting had more tackle battles than M17 did, so if you don't like tackle battles I'd avoid competitive. Tackle battles are still present on simulation settings.
Did they at least look better animation wise?

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 06-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #11
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Tackle battle was one of the worst things they've added in recent years....

Lol. U know, I made a big deal about this before I played the game. My only beef was that I just really don't like icons on my field. I disable every piece of UI I can. That being said, I was ok with the implementation and for me, in terms of realism, it's that extra burst from either player that wins it. It would be cool if u could simply spin or stiff arm out of it, but I think that would be a little too easy and/or everyone would just spam the A button. So, I think that's why they had to add it as a 'random button push'. Anyways, I didn't mind this and have some plays that reminded me of real life scenarios where your RB is at an angle that the LB can't quite bring him down near the goaline, and it would take that extra push from either player gaining leverage first to either break it or get tackled. And, for me, that's what the tackle battle represents. So, I'm cool with it now, and it's not an every play thing, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #12
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Lol. U know, I made a big deal about this before I played the game. My only beef was that I just really don't like icons on my field. I disable every piece of UI I can. That being said, I was ok with the implementation and for me, in terms of realism, it's that extra burst from either player that wins it. It would be cool if u could simply spin or stiff arm out of it, but I think that would be a little too easy and/or everyone would just spam the A button. So, I think that's why they had to add it as a 'random button push'. Anyways, I didn't mind this and have some plays that reminded me of real life scenarios where your RB is at an angle that the LB can't quite bring him down near the goaline, and it would take that extra push from either player gaining leverage first to either break it or get tackled. And, for me, that's what the tackle battle represents. So, I'm cool with it now, and it's not an every play thing, either.

There was nothing sim or realistic about tackle battle for me. Not the big giant button over the player, lol, not the animations, nothing. Everything was instant. There was no struggle. If your player was up fighting and you press the wrong button he goes down instantly or instantly breaks the tackle. The whole animation changed. There was nothing fluid about it. I hated the randomness of the buttons, the animations, everything. **** was straight arcade, which is cool if you like it, but I personally didn't, lol.....

SageInfinite Bandcamp

Old 06-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #13
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Just an option in sim to turn it off would be nice. And the ability to turn off run strength (the red green boxes).

Sent from my F3111 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #14
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Did they at least look better animation wise?
Yes, the whole game looks noticeably more fluid animation-wise thanks to Frostbite, and all the animations connect better, if that makes sense. It's the same animations (and some new ones) so don't expect something that looks radically different, but do expect something that looks better and is constantly at 60 FPS (assuming you've got a PS4 Pro or XBOX One X, I believe the game was running on XBOX One X dev kits or equivalent PC hardware at the event).
Old 06-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #15
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
There was nothing sim or realistic about tackle battle for me. Not the big giant button over the player, lol, not the animations, nothing. Everything was instant. There was no struggle. If your player was up fighting and you press the wrong button he goes down instantly or instantly breaks the tackle. The whole animation changed. There was nothing fluid about it. I hated the randomness of the buttons, the animations, everything. **** was straight arcade, which is cool if you like it, but I personally didn't, lol.....

Lol. No, no, I feel u on the animations. They were jarring. For me, it was maybe 'what it represented'. Again, the randomness of the buttons is akin to making the right 'adjustment'. When, in a standing tackle, it's almost like a wrestling match at that point, and the player to make the first 'good' move either breaks the hold or gets the takedown. In real life, sometimes that's taking another step for the RB and gaining different leverage. For the tackler, it might be a slight adjustment to the grip, or a re-grip to get better leverage. Or a quick move to get more body weight on top of the RB.

Now, what would be better is to have a standing tackle happen, and possible add some getaway options. For the RB, those options are already there. Maybe try to stiff arm the guy off, maybe whip a spin move off to just quickly rip away from the tackler, and even juke left/right is, in essence, shifting body weight away/towards the tackler, possibly. The defense has less choices right now based on button presses. But, I think it might be cool if they added that. What if there was:

1. No icon. U could easily and quickly recognize when you're in a standing tackle
2. Once in the standing tackle, if the D player has a hold on the right side of your body, a juke left will separate, and/or maybe a stiff arm, but a juke right will be an instant tackle, and a spin will be an instant tackle.
3. If he's directly in front of u, maybe only spin move.
4. If dragging behind u, how about a truck or hurdle to push through?

Lol.

For the defense, maybe u map 'juke' buttons to the hit stick. So, for the D player, u want to keep moving towards them. Actually, maybe that's it, no buttons for the defender, a right stick push towards the RB, first, finishes the tackle. This makes it maybe easier for the defender, which might be fair as the tackle should probably be made. And, the O player tends to have 2 outs.

I could dig a system like that, and if they animated it properly, they could give some cool 'escape' animations. That is the big part, the animation needs to be more fluid, for sure. But, yeah, I hate the icons.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #16
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Lol. No, no, I feel u on the animations. They were jarring. For me, it was maybe 'what it represented'. Again, the randomness of the buttons is akin to making the right 'adjustment'. When, in a standing tackle, it's almost like a wrestling match at that point, and the player to make the first 'good' move either breaks the hold or gets the takedown. In real life, sometimes that's taking another step for the RB and gaining different leverage. For the tackler, it might be a slight adjustment to the grip, or a re-grip to get better leverage. Or a quick move to get more body weight on top of the RB.

Now, what would be better is to have a standing tackle happen, and possible add some getaway options. For the RB, those options are already there. Maybe try to stiff arm the guy off, maybe whip a spin move off to just quickly rip away from the tackler, and even juke left/right is, in essence, shifting body weight away/towards the tackler, possibly. The defense has less choices right now based on button presses. But, I think it might be cool if they added that. What if there was:

1. No icon. U could easily and quickly recognize when you're in a standing tackle
2. Once in the standing tackle, if the D player has a hold on the right side of your body, a juke left will separate, and/or maybe a stiff arm, but a juke right will be an instant tackle, and a spin will be an instant tackle.
3. If he's directly in front of u, maybe only spin move.
4. If dragging behind u, how about a truck or hurdle to push through?

Lol.

For the defense, maybe u map 'juke' buttons to the hit stick. So, for the D player, u want to keep moving towards them. Actually, maybe that's it, no buttons for the defender, a right stick push towards the RB, first, finishes the tackle. This makes it maybe easier for the defender, which might be fair as the tackle should probably be made. And, the O player tends to have 2 outs.

I could dig a system like that, and if they animated it properly, they could give some cool 'escape' animations. That is the big part, the animation needs to be more fluid, for sure. But, yeah, I hate the icons.

I just had those same thoughts about it not being random. The randomness, along with the animations, just made it super arcade. I do like having some control over the situations though. I don't mind ratings or real world factors playing out either.

Like you said instead of it being random have it where you can have options. I should be able to tap or press the spin button to try to spin out of a tackle, stiff arm, ect...

I'd like to have that system instead of some random arcade stuff....

SageInfinite Bandcamp

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »