Home

Sim League definition

This is a discussion on Sim League definition within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Sim League definition

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan1993
Just curious about that bolded part of the rules you listed. Why would that be banned? There have been many CB switch to safety, so was wondering what your leagues rationale and thoughts were for putting that rule in place
Generally the generated CBs come into the draft with far better coverage and physical skills than the generated Safeties, so I believe it was implemented to add value to safeties and less to CBs and avoid confusion in who can/can't switch.

I'm in favour of an archetype benchmark, so if a CB has at least 60 tackle and hit power they are eligible to switch for instance, and is above 195lbs then there is an argument to switch but this is still on going.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #10
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude
Generally the generated CBs come into the draft with far better coverage and physical skills than the generated Safeties, so I believe it was implemented to add value to safeties and less to CBs and avoid confusion in who can/can't switch.

I'm in favour of an archetype benchmark, so if a CB has at least 60 tackle and hit power they are eligible to switch for instance, and is above 195lbs then there is an argument to switch but this is still on going.
There were fast generated safties in 17, so that really wasn't an issue, I drafted a 93 spd 92 hit SS and a 92 spd 88 hit FS in back to back drafts in the 1st. The issue arises when people move a fast CB to safety because he sucks. It seems as if mediocre safties dont have as much of a negative impact on your team, especially if they're athletic, as say a DL, or CB would. Hell in one of my online leagues, ok, I lied all 3 of my online CFM's I started 66 OVR Kentrel Bryce at safety from day 1, because of his 91 spd, 84 hit, and 97 jmp. In one of the leagues he won DPOY, DBOY and DROY as a rookie, went from a 66 to a 97 in one season lol.

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 06-30-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
There was a huge twitter discussion on this recently and there was a dev once quoted "as soon as you put a controller in someones hands it's not sim".
Agreed wholeheartedly with this.

Once I gave up on trying to police "sim" so hard, my leagues suddenly became a lot more relaxed, a lot less effort to run, and a lot more fun. Sure, my league has some bull**** in it, such as one of our guys getting 2500 rushing yards with a rookie RB or a different guy breaking all the single-season receiving records with a tight end, but it's much more relaxed for me and everyone else in my league to just not worry about that sort of stuff in a multiplayer setting.

To answer the topic question though - "sim" refers to recreating what is seen on the NFL on Sundays as closely as possible. However, different leagues have different ideas as to what is "sim" and what is not. Some leagues police 4th down with various rules. Some leagues ban certain gameplay mechanics such as user catching. Some leagues require pulling players in blowouts and avoiding stat-chasing. The specifics of "sim" are very much a "different strokes for different folks" sort of thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #12
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

Once I gave up on trying to police "sim" so hard, my leagues suddenly became a lot more relaxed, a lot less effort to run, and a lot more fun. Sure, my league has some bull**** in it, such as one of our guys getting 2500 rushing yards with a rookie RB or a different guy breaking all the single-season receiving records with a tight end, but it's much more relaxed for me and everyone else in my league to just not worry about that sort of stuff in a multiplayer setting.

To answer the topic question though - "sim" refers to recreating what is seen on the NFL on Sundays as closely as possible. However, different leagues have different ideas as to what is "sim" and what is not. Some leagues police 4th down with various rules. Some leagues ban certain gameplay mechanics such as user catching. Some leagues require pulling players in blowouts and avoiding stat-chasing. The specifics of "sim" are very much a "different strokes for different folks" sort of thing.
Personally I prefer leagues like the NEF League who take sim play extraordinarily seriously. They force broadcast every game so as many members want can watch, both for entertainment and to ensure sim play, they have their own twitter group, forums, league yearly awards, articles, and countless other things all related to making a competitive, sim league.

Of course that is the extreme, and the dedication level is high. But after playing with those guys for a couple Madden cycles, all other online play seriously lost its luster to me.

So, I'd rather not play online at all then play fake football. But again, as you pointed out, a real sim league requires a lot of dedication from both the administrators and the members.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #13
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

Totally agree about trying to be relaxed and fun. Our cowboys owner got 2500yards and 30tds with Zeke the Freak last season, but that's fine, he has an all 99 oline and it was a freak season. I have 18tds with Amari Cooper and 5 games to go but it's fine as my play calling is balanced and fair, he's just rated 97ovr.

I think the more relaxed sim-style leagues just want to feel there is a fun even playing field between all the users. Losing isn't fun, but losing because they put a wr at te or dropped 10 or nano blitzed you is not. Sim style is the recreation of Sunday football without the 4verts-all-day feel of head to head

Sent from my F3111 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 4

What generally happens in "Sim style" leagues is that the rules become so strict that everyone is left playing the same playstyle....

The rules usually involve a certain Run/Pass ratio, Going for it on 4th, position changes, limiting how many times a play is called, playbook restrictions, ect.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:59 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrice25
What generally happens in "Sim style" leagues is that the rules become so strict that everyone is left playing the same playstyle....

The rules usually involve a certain Run/Pass ratio, Going for it on 4th, position changes, limiting how many times a play is called, playbook restrictions, ect.
yup.

It's typically been my experience that inevitably sim league rules result in sometimes forcing people to be completely non-sim. I've literally had to pull my starting QB during a 2-minute drill in the 4th quarter down by one score because if he passed for 10 more yards he'd go over the stat cap. The more strict the rules the more that stuff happens. I'm lucky to be in a great league with a solid core of about 20+ players where we can play with more relaxed rules such that it's generally sim but without forcing people to play a certain way. Others who come in either learn quickly or get the boot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2017, 08:40 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan1993
Just curious about that bolded part of the rules you listed. Why would that be banned? There have been many CB switch to safety, so was wondering what your leagues rationale and thoughts were for putting that rule in place
it's too easy to move a solid CB to FS and he becomes one of the best in the league.

Quote:

agreed. having a FS with MCV in the mid to high 80s is just unrealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
There were fast generated safties in 17, so that really wasn't an issue, I drafted a 93 spd 92 hit SS and a 92 spd 88 hit FS in back to back drafts in the 1st. The issue arises when people move a fast CB to safety because he sucks. It seems as if mediocre safties dont have as much of a negative impact on your team, especially if they're athletic, as say a DL, or CB would. Hell in one of my online leagues, ok, I lied all 3 of my online CFM's I started 66 OVR Kentrel Bryce at safety from day 1, because of his 91 spd, 84 hit, and 97 jmp. In one of the leagues he won DPOY, DBOY and DROY as a rookie, went from a 66 to a 97 in one season lol.
in M17, finding S was so easy. every year, if i wanted, i could pick up two S as UDFA and have them starting as rookie and into the 80s by their second year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »