Home

Madden NFL 18 Video - Vikings vs. Steelers (SimFBallCritic)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Video - Vikings vs. Steelers (SimFBallCritic) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 18 Video - Vikings vs. Steelers (SimFBallCritic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
We had the fix dealing with pocket push in our hands for about a week, but as usual, folks just see something they don't like without really considering the ramifications of possible changes.

The lack of pocket push is due to the "Pocket timer" imposed as a fix to folks complaint about "Insta-Shed".

The catch is that simply lowering PMV/FMV and/or BSH ratings of defenders would've minimized how fast the separation would occur.

We as gamers could've controlled the speed of separation ourselves with roster edits, but it was put back into the devs hands to do something immediately due to the outcry, thus "Pocket Timer" (ie forced rush delay)

Because there was no Time Delayed imposed, OL were driven backwards by those def with a higher Get-Ingage (ie STR rating) than OL but with lower blocksheding ratings.
- OL was driven bakwards while still engaged

Lesson learned, I will immediately disconnect game from internet after going live as to not download corrections to things that really don't bother me and/or I actually like what's going on.
Khaliib, why do they keep doing these changes to the "sim" mode? You didn't reference "who" complained about 'insta-shed' but I thought we had different modes so each group could have their own tuning.

The zones were supposedly much better b4 and they did the same thing to that. Why aren't they leaving "sim" as intended, like OOTB last year? I thought they learned from that.

And I'm confused about the Get-Engage and "pocket timer". Clint bragged about both as great additions but it sounds like they contradict each other if I'm reading you correctly?

Appreciate your insight.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #50
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Who complained? Are you referring to the EA Play version this year? Or a previous retail version of Madden?
Old 08-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Think Khalib is referring to last year's Madden. People complained about instant pressure so EA's solution was the pocket timer.

If you recall last year if you controlled a decent pass rusher and you timed the snap and did a FMV/PMV you got past the blocker immediately.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #52
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Think Khalib is referring to last year's Madden. People complained about instant pressure so EA's solution was the pocket timer.

If you recall last year if you controlled a decent pass rusher and you timed the snap and did a FMV/PMV you got past the blocker immediately.
possibly, but it looked to me he was replying to post b4 his that was referencing the lack of interior push we're seeing this year. sounded like people complained about an earlier build and the Devs responded by changing something; and now we have the constant stalemate at the LOS b/c of the timer (which doesn't always work either, seen 8+ seconds of pocket time). Hopefully he'll clear it up and I was just misreading.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #53
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deu22ces
possibly, but it looked to me he was replying to post b4 his that was referencing the lack of interior push we're seeing this year. sounded like people complained about an earlier build and the Devs responded by changing something; and now we have the constant stalemate at the LOS b/c of the timer (which doesn't always work either, seen 8+ seconds of pocket time). Hopefully he'll clear it up and I was just misreading.
He was replying to lack of interior rush this year, but that change was due to complaints from last year.

I don't think he was talking about an earlier build, because "had it in our hands" isn't how you would typically describe it, and also where he said lesson learned next time he will drop connection to the internet.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #54
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by deu22ces
Khaliib, why do they keep doing these changes to the "sim" mode? You didn't reference "who" complained about 'insta-shed' but I thought we had different modes so each group could have their own tuning.

The zones were supposedly much better b4 and they did the same thing to that. Why aren't they leaving "sim" as intended, like OOTB last year? I thought they learned from that.

And I'm confused about the Get-Engage and "pocket timer". Clint bragged about both as great additions but it sounds like they contradict each other if I'm reading you correctly?

Appreciate your insight.
Happened about 1st week of M17 release.

Suggested to Clint about a return as an aid to help offset User QB's dropping back too far (like in some capture vids) do to lack of push perceived in M18 vids.
His notation of how the Comm in general felt.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_1012.PNG (471.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 08-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #55
Rookie

Linebacker57's Arena

The trenches on pass plays still are nowhere near where they should be. Interior linement stoning DT/NTs and it coming down to the shed win or loss. When are we going to see an interior tackle get the right first step and penetrate the pocket WHILST still engaged? All pro football 2k8 did this fantastically
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2017, 07:01 AM   #56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Happened about 1st week of M17 release.

Suggested to Clint about a return as an aid to help offset User QB's dropping back too far (like in some capture vids) do to lack of push perceived in M18 vids.
His notation of how the Comm in general felt.
Thanks Khaliib, appreciate it. Sounds like i misunderstood your context/timeline in the previous post.

Have to admit, I was looking forward to the OL/DL interaction and pocket mechanics from listening to Clint. But what I'm seeing doesn't add up. A real pocket gets pushed back about 4-5 yds most plays (exceptions being 3-step drop and WR screens); instead i'm seeing what essentially is run blocking from G/C's, 'stonewalling' or even pushing defenders forward and these wide looping animations from Edge rushers b4 a "stalemate". The result often is this huge 10+ yd wide pocket, wider than the original tackle box and 5-7 yds between the QB and interior rush. Should be seeing the Edge rushers squeeze the tackle box and the interior presses the middle; leaving the "collapse" feeling and sense of urgency by QB's. You see it occasionally in-game but not consistently. Was hoping for consistency and occasional gaffes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »