Home

Madden NFL 18's Longshot Proves to Be a Real Touchdown

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18's Longshot Proves to Be a Real Touchdown within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
I'm also disappointed*that CFM was not improved much at all, but with the being said*I'm still going to try out Longshot.*
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2017, 04:19 AM   #26
Rookie

BodamEscapePlan's Arena

OVR: 1
I expected to hate this mode so much.* I would have been among those that hadn't touched the mode had it not been included in the EA Access trial (well, a small part is) but I gotta say... I am really looking forward to playing this to completion.* I can't say I'll want to play it more than once yet but it does seem like your choices actually matter.* I won't have Madden until Thursday night/maybe Friday (I'm not paying another $20 to play it three days early) but believe it or not, this somehow has overtaken my roster overhaul as the first thing I'll dive right into.
NCAAF: NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS
@michaelsbodam | PSN: BodamEscapePlan
Old 08-23-2017, 06:29 AM   #27
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Madden NFL 18's Longshot Proves to Be a Real Touchdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
WHY SO LARGE
Haha, dunno but made it easy to read on phone!

Longshot reminds me of Battlefield Hardline's single player. Introduce you to mechanics, give you a somewhat shallow but engaging enough story, and no desire to play again.

Not a knock, it's not a bad story, just that it's a four hour long story, without an ending, with limited gameplay, in a sports game. Heaven forbid you slap a short, limited gameplay campaign on any other genre.

These story modes just dont translate well to sports games. Sports is win or lose and a lot of this can/should be out of the users control. You have to win to advance and it creates a grind. By forcing the result you take away the thrill.

Look at Fight Night Champions. I believe there was a fight you were supposed to loose/get knocked down, regardless of how well you did. When i got there it really took the mode down a few steps. Just felt forced and it didnt matter if I tried to do better.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #28
Rookie

I find it so funny how so many people here have like zero idea as to how video games are made
Old 08-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #29
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outkizast
For the record, I'm sure Longshot is a great mode. I just don't want it added to their analytics or whatever crap by playing it myself. My qualm isn't with the mode itself, it's with the lack of improvement in other areas and the fact that they flat out said resources were taken away from other parts of the game for it and NBA Live's Franchise mode. As if EA doesn't make enough money to support all of this.

I understand it's a business, and I just will choose not to play Longshot because of it. I will be fine I'm sure.

Also, my issue with madden being the "same ol' same ol'" is the lack of innovation in the mode I care about most, Franchise. I don't care if others play Longshot if that is what they are in to. I'm just not going to play it. If nothing else, it makes me feel a little better.

There are parts of longshot that feel like they were made for CFM (superstar mode). There are other aspects that feel like a prelude to creating a coach and working your way up through a coaching carousel.

As others noted the writing is straight to DVD caliber (not even Netflix) and parts of the story are contrived, but the potential is there to make CFM what I think we all want it to be.

I wish people who are hardcore CFM would play it, then never play MUT. So the analytics can say "100000000 people played longshot multiple times, but they never redeemed their MUT packs, they just played CFM as devin colt or in an online league."

If the only people who play longshot run to mut, they will have reason to think longshot is a MUT gateway mode. I fear this reality more than spending 1/2 the year making NBA live palatable .

"once you go MUT you don't go back" - EA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Old 08-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #30
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20

Pleasently suprised with LongShots for Madden.

This year's Madden is pretty solid! I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Good job EA!

Last edited by Peter_OS; 08-23-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
That's absolutely not been the case with FIFA or their competitors who have had story mode. That's just negative thinking, nothing at all to really back up that theory.

Note that the workers who develop the story mode are a separate team from the gameplay developers.
Well, we have this year to back it up. Longshot seems important enough that it got 3-4 years worth of development while Madden franchise seems unimportant enough to send the developers to NBA Live.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2017, 02:13 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
They always do that in year one of a new project when a new team is formed.
NBA Live isn't a new project.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »