Home

How stats play into EA updates

This is a discussion on How stats play into EA updates within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41
How stats play into EA updates

I've been all over the slider threads since launch and I see a ton of people (myself included) trying to figure out how to "fix" various things, like CPU QB AI, gameplanning, penalties, etc.

After seeing a few tweets from Rex the other day, I think it's clear what the disconnect is. It's not that he or EA doesn't care (I have no opinion on this), but rather, they are looking at different metrics than we are. He quoted a bunch of stats from the first week of launch. EA is not looking at 9 min quarters or 15 minute quarters that some of us play. They are looking at 5, 6, 7 minute quarters for Sim AND Competitive. If you see 8 sacks a game on 9 minute quarters, that's about 1 every 4.5 minutes of game clock. Looking at a 6 minute quarter length, that would be about a total of 5 sacks, not an outrageous number.

We know injuries were tuned to shorter quarter length, stats are too. I may be slightly off, but I believe total PPG were at 27-28 for Madden 18 and 2017 NFL was 23. Again, EA is measuring only 5-7 min quarters. Same with Passing yards and rushing yards per game, interceptions etc.

I've always run 15 min quarters with 19 sec run off and it's to the point where I realize the game will never play the way it should with those settings because it's tuned statistically to a much lower value.

Thoughts?

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How stats play into EA updates

In one of my test CFMs I could have sworn the injury slider updated when I changed the quarter length. (I admit I may have just changers it myself based on John whites tweet. I don't recall)

That said now that the modes are separate and we know EA is data driven it's reasonable to anticipate them tuning based on what the majority of people do. A question then becomes that if they tune for 5min quarters most people must play 5 min quarters.

If that's the case, we may need to request a new top request for Sim gameplay - sliders that auto configure based on quarter length.

If EAs tuning is based on default sliders, our feedback and their updates will always be out of sync unless they give an equivalent of 15 min at X to 5 min at 50 sliders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Old 08-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 20

My thoughts are time shouldn't have anything to do with it. They should be looking at number of plays. Sacks occur x number of times per x number of passing attempts, WR drops happen x times per x chances; overthrows happen x times per x targets, etc. 15 minutes, 3 minutes, irrelevant.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:40 PM   #4
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
My thoughts are time shouldn't have anything to do with it. They should be looking at number of plays. Sacks occur x number of times per x number of passing attempts, WR drops happen x times per x chances; overthrows happen x times per x targets, etc. 15 minutes, 3 minutes, irrelevant.
I'd agree with you, but they can't program the specifics, otherwise, we'd know every game we'd end up with X INTs, and Y sacks. I know what you're getting at, and again, I agree.

It would seem that perhaps there should be a dice roll modifier based on quarter length. Heck, maybe there is and it needs to be tweaked. But if an 80 OVR LE beats a 70 OVR RT 8% of the time (these are all made up numbers by the way), and that is for "standard 5-7 minute quarters", that dice roll should be cut in half for longer quarters, down to 3-4% without doing any fancy math.

This would scale it to quarter length (though this doesn't account for accelerated clock vs. non-accelerated clock).

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #5
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncereBlackout

If that's the case, we may need to request a new top request for Sim gameplay - sliders that auto configure based on quarter length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be sweet. I feel like everyone plays it their own way unless they're in a league that dictates what the time has to be so a fix like this would be awesome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2017, 09:01 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 6

Yes. Rex has the game tuned to mimic realism NFL stats in half the time. How this is Simulation football is beyond me. How they could screw this up this much between 17-18 is maddening. I guess I'll just accept the fact that this year I go back to playing the game like I did in High school (20 years ago) short quarters and unrealistic big plays. Sigh.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »