Home

Garoppolo Trade a Perfect Illustration of Madden Flaws

This is a discussion on Garoppolo Trade a Perfect Illustration of Madden Flaws within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Garoppolo Trade a Perfect Illustration of Madden Flaws

What may end up being the most important trade in 49ers history since they shipped Montana to the Chiefs is only a blip for Madden players.

Allow me to illustrate;

In Real Life Jimmy Garoppolo is the presumptive franchise quarterback. This frees a likely 1st or 2nd overall pick to be traded or used at another position of need. Given that the upcoming draft is presumed to be the strongest QB class since 1984, the 49ers will likely be able to name their price and come away with 3 or more strong 1st and 2nd day picks.

In Madden Jimmy Garoppolo is a 77 ovr with no appreciable time to acquire XP. His progression costs will increase exponentially when he turns 26 next year, and he's a free agent. The smart play for the 49ers is to simply let Jimmy walk after the season and draft a rookie QB. The Madden player simply lost a 2nd round pick for nothing.

This is kind of a clash of the ratings system vs. real life impressions of how good someone is. Looking back at Garoppolo's preseasons and 2 regular season games, I think he's an upper 80s guy with potential to grow into a top 5-8 QB in the NFL.

But here's the thing; I could be wrong. He might be a product of the system, he might end up having a Knoblauch moment and forget how to throw. He just might not be very good. I don't know.

But in Madden, I do know. I know perfectly well, precisely how good he is. I know which QBs are better, and the precise number of percentage points better each one is.

There's gotta be a better way to approach roster management. Presenting players as numbered spreadsheets just doesn't work.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Garoppolo Trade a Perfect Illustration of Madden Flaws

MLB the Show does it a little bit better, though still not perfect. Any more realistic system would have to get rid of player-managed XP, and probably hide specific ratings and just display letter grades (both actual and, potential).

I would personally be very much in favor of such a system, but it does not seem Madden is going that direction right now.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

What I would like to see letter grades and player types with a skill ability tree, but for this to work madden needs to redo their gameplay because it's sub par and broken,

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

I'd like the variable rating to be a bit more extreme. For example you pick in your scheme for a WR Balanced/Speed/Possession/Route Runner/RZT but really it doesn't matter. The rating only varies by a point or 2 either way. i'd like a guy like Matt Cassel to be an 85 in New England but only a 70 elsewhere because he doesn't fit the scheme, or in reverse Revis being an 80 in Tampa but a 95 in New England. This would cause trades and free agents to bust, or diamonds in the rough like a Willie Snead in New Orleans to emerge and add a real element of roster management Madden has never captured. It also makes trade prices vary to wheere we get the Ajayi for a 4th type deals because the value of a player is different to every team
Old 11-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #5
Rookie

sra9888's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze88
I'd like the variable rating to be a bit more extreme. For example you pick in your scheme for a WR Balanced/Speed/Possession/Route Runner/RZT but really it doesn't matter. The rating only varies by a point or 2 either way. i'd like a guy like Matt Cassel to be an 85 in New England but only a 70 elsewhere because he doesn't fit the scheme, or in reverse Revis being an 80 in Tampa but a 95 in New England. This would cause trades and free agents to bust, or diamonds in the rough like a Willie Snead in New Orleans to emerge and add a real element of roster management Madden has never captured. It also makes trade prices vary to wheere we get the Ajayi for a 4th type deals because the value of a player is different to every team

This is great, and I'll go one step further. Instead of just picking the archetype of a player for the position. I would like to see those ratings based on the way you've played the game in that franchise and how your playbook is set up. If you run a lot of read options adjust QB ratings more toward speed etc. If you run short passes then gear toward Short Acc and less arm strength etc. Just having your ratings based on an archetype doesn't really have the dynamics you could have the other way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2017, 10:07 PM   #6
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Have to change the progression as well as the AI valuing players and picks for this to improve.

What I think progression should be
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
Old 11-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #7
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
Have to change the progression as well as the AI valuing players and picks for this to improve.

What I think progression should be
Something along the lines of your proposal would be ideal.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 0

Jimmy G has actually shown very little factual evidence to say he will be a franchise QB other than getting the Patriots back up QB bump. With that said potential is something that is hard to program. I think that is where some hidden ratings and attributes should be applied. Use ratings that aren't player readable that allows the computer to have an idea that player will be better than their stats show. The only issue with this is, it can lead to a feeling the CPU has a predetermined knowledge that let's them "cheat".

I think you could add GM's with ratings themselves that make it easier or harder for them to use these potential based ratings. In the end a lot of the GM side of of the game needs rebuilt. I'm not sure anyone who plays, customer or developer, would argue that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »