Home

Why I’m Not Buying Another Modern Sports Game Again

This is a discussion on Why I’m Not Buying Another Modern Sports Game Again within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 04:46 AM   #1
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

OVR: 0
Why I’m Not Buying Another Modern Sports Game Again

I didn’t know where to put this so I figured I’d drop it where I spent most of my time: here.

I’ve been gaming since I was four years old. For the next sixteen years, at least 75% of the games in my collection were either Madden, NHL, NHL 2K, MVP Baseball, NFL 2K, NBA 2K, and NBA Live. These games spanned the duration of at least three console generations that I can think of. And I hung in there through the good and bad. EA’s “exclusive agreement” with the NFL. EA also not being able to afford the MVP Baseball series (ironic, right?). The glory days of NBA Live, the ESPN integration with NFL 2K5, you name it. I was there for it all.

And I’m not sorry to say that I’ll be walking away from it. Why? The latest generation of consoles has brought in, at least in my opinion, a new level of incompetence and apathy. Most of it stems from EA but 2K isn’t entirely out of the spotlight either. The latter has been plagued with controversy surrounding micro transactions for a good three, maybe four years.

I’m absolutely sick of being treated like an idiot by these companies. It’s not entirely the developers themselves; they, like the rest of us, are trying to put food on the table for their families. A large portion of blame should go to the head sheds, the guys and gals who know jack squat about their own product and quite possibly, the sport they represent as a whole.

The mainstream sports games that I’ve played this year have all been lackluster. Madden 18 had its’ QB AI issues (which is thankfully now fixed), nonsensical animations, no football logic, no additions to CFM, and a linear, prolonged “story” mode. NHL 18 saw the addition of 3v3 and the Las Vegas Golden Knights.

Wow. Such innovation.

I was thrilled to see NBA Live make another go at it and even more so that I could escape the micro transactions 2K was trying to shove down my throat. The gameplay was clunky, stiff, and I kept getting sucked into tight animations far too easily. The One was a great concept that worked really well, but with such sloppy gameplay mechanics, I couldn’t enjoy it.

2K was...well, 2K. A good game overshadowed by micro transactions.

I’ve learned that major companies like EA don’t give a s*** about consumer happiness. They care about the almighty dollar and the almighty dollar. They don’t care about some gameplay mechanics being broken, glitches galore or broken promises. As long as these CEOs have their wallets filled, they don’t care.

So why should I?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #2
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Why I’m Not Buying Another Modern Sports Game Again

It could go in the impressions thread.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness