Home

Old 01-24-2018, 01:03 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Min speed threshold

Right now I'm using Josh C's sliders with some minor tweaks. One of those tweaks is speed threshold at 46. It's not a lot, but it "feels" like there's a very slight difference.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogunreaper
lower speed threshold makes anything but the speed rating irrelevant

put it on zero.

FTFY

It's easy to show the most realistic gameplay is at high threshold, 80-90 range. Most guys like their WRs open by 10 yards though as if this were Florida vs North Utah Valley State.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 01-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
FTFY

It's easy to show the most realistic gameplay is at high threshold, 80-90 range. Most guys like their WRs open by 10 yards though as if this were Florida vs North Utah Valley State.
That's a pretty definitive statement to make considering ,to my knowledge at least , none of the major slider threads or the game developers advocate anything anywhere near that range
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #12
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
That's a pretty definitive statement to make considering ,to my knowledge at least , none of the major slider threads or the game developers advocate anything anywhere near that range

I can't speak to which slider threads are "major," but I've definitely seen high thresholds pop up in a couple of popular threads. I know charter's has been high before, Flazko uses 90 in his personal set, etc. No idea who is at what right now. EDIT: As for game developers, they balance the game so that you'll get a realistic score running 5 min quarters. Meaning, all offense all the time forever & ever. 50 or lower threshold is a great way to make the game more offensive, frankly. When I say realism I'm talking about having the gameplay itself actually become more realistic. Geared for 115-125 snaps instead of 40-50.

You can objectively measure in-game player speed down the field vs NFL players down the field. How long it takes them to get 30, 60 yds for instance.

You can compare average DB 40 times with average OL 40 times and objectively measure what the distance gap is IRL vs in-game. Do that and the evidence becomes crystal clear. I haven't even mentioned the eyeball test, which high threshold wins with ease, or the balance, where high threshold is one of the key ways to allow man coverage to function effectively.

I can't speak to feel or what guys find more fun. Plenty of people find WRs getting wide open to feel great and be tons of fun. Plenty of people want fast WRs to fly by any DB who is a few points slower. As if Richard Sherman or prime Revis, neither of which was a burner, didn't line up near the LOS on a regular basis. The fact is, the difference between 95 SPD and 88 SPD, if you were to translate the 40 times to distance, is far less than low threshold advocates think. In reality NFL WRs never just run by their man by 5-10 yards due to pure speed alone. Clowney ran literally step for step with Amari Cooper (4.42 spd) and has run down WRs from behind in-game. If low threshold leads to a simpler style of play where guys enjoy how wide open their guys get, more power to them. I don't judge what people find fun or what "feels" better to them.

But if you want something closer to realism, it's high threshold plain & simple, and it's tough to make an objective argument to the contrary.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues

Last edited by Aestis; 01-24-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #13
Rookie

cp22's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
I can't speak to which slider threads are "major," but I've definitely seen high thresholds pop up in a couple of popular threads. I know charter's has been high before, Flazko uses 90 in his personal set, etc. No idea who is at what right now. EDIT: As for game developers, they balance the game so that you'll get a realistic score running 5 min quarters. Meaning, all offense all the time forever & ever. 50 or lower threshold is a great way to make the game more offensive, frankly. When I say realism I'm talking about having the gameplay itself actually become more realistic. Geared for 115-125 snaps instead of 40-50.

You can objectively measure in-game player speed down the field vs NFL players down the field. How long it takes them to get 30, 60 yds for instance.

You can compare average DB 40 times with average OL 40 times and objectively measure what the distance gap is IRL vs in-game. Do that and the evidence becomes crystal clear. I haven't even mentioned the eyeball test, which high threshold wins with ease, or the balance, where high threshold is one of the key ways to allow man coverage to function effectively.

I can't speak to feel or what guys find more fun. Plenty of people find WRs getting wide open to feel great and be tons of fun. Plenty of people want fast WRs to fly by any DB who is a few points slower. As if Richard Sherman or prime Revis, neither of which was a burner, didn't line up near the LOS on a regular basis. The fact is, the difference between 95 SPD and 88 SPD, if you were to translate the 40 times to distance, is far less than low threshold advocates think. In reality NFL WRs never just run by their man by 5-10 yards due to pure speed alone. Clowney ran literally step for step with Amari Cooper (4.42 spd) and has run down WRs from behind in-game. If low threshold leads to a simpler style of play where guys enjoy how wide open their guys get, more power to them. I don't judge what people find fun or what "feels" better to them.

But if you want something closer to realism, it's high threshold plain & simple, and it's tough to make an objective argument to the contrary.
I like your thought process. Can you share your settings?
Old 01-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #14
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5

My new set I have at 100. Plays great imo.

Playing:
Old 01-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 9

So I'm honestly confused now. So if high is best, why do so many slider sets have it at 50?

I just want my small, lightening quick receivers to run like they are supposed to and my cbs also? So then for me what would you suggest? Wouldn't 100 threshold make my speedy wr useless?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #16
Rookie

Landonio's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyone14
So I'm honestly confused now. So if high is best, why do so many slider sets have it at 50?

I just want my small, lightening quick receivers to run like they are supposed to and my cbs also? So then for me what would you suggest? Wouldn't 100 threshold make my speedy wr useless?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Because high is not best. Unless you're playing on Pro or something. These 100 apologists are just wrong. 30-50 has always been the sweet spot if you actually want ratings to matter. Anything higher causes weird interactions, warping, rubberbanding, and ratings to mean less. Especially on All-Madden, which already cheats you to begin with.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »