Home

Min speed threshold

This is a discussion on Min speed threshold within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2018, 01:03 AM   #9
Pro
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Feb 2013
Re: Min speed threshold

Right now I'm using Josh C's sliders with some minor tweaks. One of those tweaks is speed threshold at 46. It's not a lot, but it "feels" like there's a very slight difference.
Grey_Osprey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
AWFL Commish
 
Aestis's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 997
Re: Min speed threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogunreaper
lower speed threshold makes anything but the speed rating irrelevant

put it on zero.


FTFY

It's easy to show the most realistic gameplay is at high threshold, 80-90 range. Most guys like their WRs open by 10 yards though as if this were Florida vs North Utah Valley State.
__________________
RFF
Twitch Channel

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Aestis is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
Pro
 
briz1046's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: May 2013
Re: Min speed threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
FTFY

It's easy to show the most realistic gameplay is at high threshold, 80-90 range. Most guys like their WRs open by 10 yards though as if this were Florida vs North Utah Valley State.
That's a pretty definitive statement to make considering ,to my knowledge at least , none of the major slider threads or the game developers advocate anything anywhere near that range
briz1046 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #12
AWFL Commish
 
Aestis's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 997
Re: Min speed threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
That's a pretty definitive statement to make considering ,to my knowledge at least , none of the major slider threads or the game developers advocate anything anywhere near that range

I can't speak to which slider threads are "major," but I've definitely seen high thresholds pop up in a couple of popular threads. I know charter's has been high before, Flazko uses 90 in his personal set, etc. No idea who is at what right now. EDIT: As for game developers, they balance the game so that you'll get a realistic score running 5 min quarters. Meaning, all offense all the time forever & ever. 50 or lower threshold is a great way to make the game more offensive, frankly. When I say realism I'm talking about having the gameplay itself actually become more realistic. Geared for 115-125 snaps instead of 40-50.

You can objectively measure in-game player speed down the field vs NFL players down the field. How long it takes them to get 30, 60 yds for instance.

You can compare average DB 40 times with average OL 40 times and objectively measure what the distance gap is IRL vs in-game. Do that and the evidence becomes crystal clear. I haven't even mentioned the eyeball test, which high threshold wins with ease, or the balance, where high threshold is one of the key ways to allow man coverage to function effectively.

I can't speak to feel or what guys find more fun. Plenty of people find WRs getting wide open to feel great and be tons of fun. Plenty of people want fast WRs to fly by any DB who is a few points slower. As if Richard Sherman or prime Revis, neither of which was a burner, didn't line up near the LOS on a regular basis. The fact is, the difference between 95 SPD and 88 SPD, if you were to translate the 40 times to distance, is far less than low threshold advocates think. In reality NFL WRs never just run by their man by 5-10 yards due to pure speed alone. Clowney ran literally step for step with Amari Cooper (4.42 spd) and has run down WRs from behind in-game. If low threshold leads to a simpler style of play where guys enjoy how wide open their guys get, more power to them. I don't judge what people find fun or what "feels" better to them.

But if you want something closer to realism, it's high threshold plain & simple, and it's tough to make an objective argument to the contrary.
__________________
RFF
Twitch Channel

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues

Last edited by Aestis; 01-24-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Aestis is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #13
Rookie
 
cp22's Arena
 
OVR: 3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Re: Min speed threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
I can't speak to which slider threads are "major," but I've definitely seen high thresholds pop up in a couple of popular threads. I know charter's has been high before, Flazko uses 90 in his personal set, etc. No idea who is at what right now. EDIT: As for game developers, they balance the game so that you'll get a realistic score running 5 min quarters. Meaning, all offense all the time forever & ever. 50 or lower threshold is a great way to make the game more offensive, frankly. When I say realism I'm talking about having the gameplay itself actually become more realistic. Geared for 115-125 snaps instead of 40-50.

You can objectively measure in-game player speed down the field vs NFL players down the field. How long it takes them to get 30, 60 yds for instance.

You can compare average DB 40 times with average OL 40 times and objectively measure what the distance gap is IRL vs in-game. Do that and the evidence becomes crystal clear. I haven't even mentioned the eyeball test, which high threshold wins with ease, or the balance, where high threshold is one of the key ways to allow man coverage to function effectively.

I can't speak to feel or what guys find more fun. Plenty of people find WRs getting wide open to feel great and be tons of fun. Plenty of people want fast WRs to fly by any DB who is a few points slower. As if Richard Sherman or prime Revis, neither of which was a burner, didn't line up near the LOS on a regular basis. The fact is, the difference between 95 SPD and 88 SPD, if you were to translate the 40 times to distance, is far less than low threshold advocates think. In reality NFL WRs never just run by their man by 5-10 yards due to pure speed alone. Clowney ran literally step for step with Amari Cooper (4.42 spd) and has run down WRs from behind in-game. If low threshold leads to a simpler style of play where guys enjoy how wide open their guys get, more power to them. I don't judge what people find fun or what "feels" better to them.

But if you want something closer to realism, it's high threshold plain & simple, and it's tough to make an objective argument to the contrary.
I like your thought process. Can you share your settings?
cp22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #14
Let's Go Brandon!
 
Milticket's Arena
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,050
Re: Min speed threshold

My new set I have at 100. Plays great imo.
__________________
Playing:
Madden 22 - Modded (PC)
Madden 22 Next Gen (XSX)
Ori & The Blind Forest (XSX)
Metro Exodus (PS5)

"Players make the NFL money, not the coaches. It's not a 2-way street, follow the bread crumbs."
Milticket is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #15
MVP
 
OVR: 9
Join Date: Dec 2011
Re: Min speed threshold

So I'm honestly confused now. So if high is best, why do so many slider sets have it at 50?

I just want my small, lightening quick receivers to run like they are supposed to and my cbs also? So then for me what would you suggest? Wouldn't 100 threshold make my speedy wr useless?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Slyone14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #16
Rookie
 
Landonio's Arena
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: Min speed threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyone14
So I'm honestly confused now. So if high is best, why do so many slider sets have it at 50?

I just want my small, lightening quick receivers to run like they are supposed to and my cbs also? So then for me what would you suggest? Wouldn't 100 threshold make my speedy wr useless?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Because high is not best. Unless you're playing on Pro or something. These 100 apologists are just wrong. 30-50 has always been the sweet spot if you actually want ratings to matter. Anything higher causes weird interactions, warping, rubberbanding, and ratings to mean less. Especially on All-Madden, which already cheats you to begin with.
__________________
All you gotta do is look up in dat tree.
Landonio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:05 AM.

Top -