Home

Do You Edit Ratings in CFM?

This is a discussion on Do You Edit Ratings in CFM? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-14-2018, 12:13 AM   #1
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3
Do You Edit Ratings in CFM?

Just wondering what you guys do about the following situation and other similar ones in your CFM:

Your young #1 QB is having a terrible season. You have a reliable veteran backup on hand. The vet comes in and lights the league on fire like a Case Keenum. Wins games. Maybe even gets you to the playoffs.

Do you compare his season stats to another starting QB and edit his ratings upwards accordingly even if he's a late bloomer? (let's say your vet put up numbers similar to Matt Stafford that year)

Or do you simply let this guy's overall rating sit in the mid 70s?

In my view, I don't usually touch ratings unless I have to correct for something Madden didn't account for that happened in real life. I think CFM doesn't do a good job of reflecting Case Keenum like situations. If I have a 27 year old veteran who takes me to the playoffs and puts up starter numbers, his accuracy ratings shouldn't regress, they should reflect his new status. I personally would edit the QB to make him starter caliber but wouldn't adjust traits like arm strength and would probably keep the accuracy ratings in proportion to each other (short, mid, deep).

Let me know how you handle this.
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2018, 12:34 AM   #2
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Do You Edit Ratings in CFM?

Sticking with the Keenum example, is he really a better QB or did he simply put up better stats? Were his stats the the byproduct of good surrounding talent, a favorable system, and small sample size or a real change in ability level? History is replete with examples of QBs that go on short-term tears like this, only to be exposed later.

If this happened in Madden, I would personally let progression be progression and run with it. But, the beauty of having editing ability is that we can decide for ourselves.

That said, sometimes editing players to fit "storylines" like this can add a little extra immersion. Sometimes going through the league and finding a few "surprise stories" and editing a few of not only your guys, but also the CPUs, to aid in the narrative can be a lot of fun. But, I think doing it for just YOUR guys on YOUR team might be something you later regret.....
Old 02-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
Rookie

BB_Dynasty's Arena

OVR: 0

I will edit star players around the league when they significantly regressed to keep them relevant in the game for as long as I can. Throughout the season if a player has a breakout year I will upgrade them in my CFM to what Madden has increased them to. Additionally, I will tinker with other players to give other young guys a shot. After my 1st season I plan on messing with Alex Smith and Patrick Mahomes to make the young guy the Chiefs starter. I plan on regressing Jontahan Stewart so Christian McCaffrey is the feature back.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

My take on this is that it's my sandbox, I'll build or knockdown whatever I want. That said, I'm usually pretty stingy about it. In the case of Keenum, I would probably offset regression if it clearly wasn't warranted... but that's probably about it. If he put up Stafford numbers at a certain ratings baseline, I don't think he necessary needs a boost beyond.

Main tweaking I've done in my current CFM was when I decided to get talent on the field and have guys switch positions. I got lucky on a 3-4 speed rushing LE in the 3rd round, but he was blocked by a veteran. Decided to convert him to OLB to get him on the field. I slightly dropped AWR, PRC, STR and his weight... the ratings to account for a new position and the weight him dropping a little bulk. Then I slightly bumped up his acceleration / agility and zone coverage to reflect his weight loss and conditioning for the new position. His overall dropped by a couple clicks, but I think he was better suited to developing in the new role.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Absolutely.
-I use it to fix the regression issues
-I use it to edit draft classes (after the draft)
-I use it to fix things to reflect the real NFL (If I start a cfm and Kareem Hunt is a 75, I will edit him to an 87-90)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
MVP

Rayzaa's Arena

Ill edit a player for regressing too young. They start regressing them at 28-29 years old. Thats BS. I hope 2019 is better at that.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitychamps87
Just wondering what you guys do about the following situation and other similar ones in your CFM:

Your young #1 QB is having a terrible season. You have a reliable veteran backup on hand. The vet comes in and lights the league on fire like a Case Keenum. Wins games. Maybe even gets you to the playoffs.

Do you compare his season stats to another starting QB and edit his ratings upwards accordingly even if he's a late bloomer? (let's say your vet put up numbers similar to Matt Stafford that year)

Or do you simply let this guy's overall rating sit in the mid 70s?

In my view, I don't usually touch ratings unless I have to correct for something Madden didn't account for that happened in real life. I think CFM doesn't do a good job of reflecting Case Keenum like situations. If I have a 27 year old veteran who takes me to the playoffs and puts up starter numbers, his accuracy ratings shouldn't regress, they should reflect his new status. I personally would edit the QB to make him starter caliber but wouldn't adjust traits like arm strength and would probably keep the accuracy ratings in proportion to each other (short, mid, deep).

Let me know how you handle this.
Often times those guys regress to the mean the following year, so IF I were to bring that player’s rating up, it would have to be after back to back seasons of performing that way.

Now if a CPU QB does it, I’d look and see the particulars, and then possibly edit him.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 19

If you cycle out all default roster players (yr 2034) generated players (w/out XP Sliders) will generate on a 60-70-80 OVR scale with 70’s being the median level.

The max POS rating a player will come in at is “89” with the low around “50”.
There are no POS rating 90’s, so if you want a player to be at that level (again with XP Sliders off), you have to edit them.

Max POS Delta Win chance Matchup being around 39pts difference.
- unless you edit into 90’s increasing Delta

So in your scenario, that QB would naturally move in the depth chart with little/no editing needed as QB’s will fluctuate around that 75’ish OVR mark.

I’ve settled on not editing as generated players come with backstories/storylines that actually run parallel to their ratings with an actual affect.
- ex
Drafted 1st RD @ #3, 80 OVR Speed Rush DE with high ratings but his Pre-Draft Storyline said don’t expect him to play a lot.
- his Stamina rating was 66
- two plays he was done (@ 4yr 65 mil contract)
- then he consistently was on IR
- 18 games played total in 4 yrs (think we can label him a Bust)

So I would suggest cycling out all default players then take it from there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »