Home

Stopping scrambling AI qbs

This is a discussion on Stopping scrambling AI qbs within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2018, 06:54 AM   #9
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Stopping scrambling AI qbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
"No-switch" guys play that way because it's their opinion that allowing the CPU players as much of their own autonomy as possible will make the players on the field play truest to their ratings. It's purely a "sim" thing. The style was popularized in the PS2 games when rocket catching / "mossing" was still a thing and lower-rated guys like Brian Finneran could dominate people.

Tiburon has actively discouraged no-switch recently via adding mechanics which add user benefits for assuming control, such as the various WR catch controls introduced in Madden 15 and the Ball Hawk mechanic on defense (also introduced in M15, IIRC).

There's still a small contingent of people who prefer to play no-switch, however, and that's neither right nor wrong. No-switch players might have a harder time winning in online ranked given how the game is built now, but they most likely weren't playing online ranked anyway. No-switch players tend to seek out like-minded opponents in unranked games and online leagues. It's how they prefer to enjoy the game, and I don't fault them for that one bit.
I wish the user ratings boosts given for controlling a player were optional. Let stick skills matter when user controls a player, but don't make that player better. IMHO.

This medium between All Pro and All Madden is half of why so much work on sliders has to be done every year.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #10
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

On All-Madden I broke my no switch rule on defense for scrambling QB’s. Otherwise it was impossible to stop them.

So I switch only on plays when the QB scrambles. It has worked out fine for me.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 05-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Chiming in to echo Millticket here: the QB trait edit 100% fixes this issue on All Madden.

At Balaned, a good running QB will still get you for 40-50 YDS if you're not careful, but they wont' get you for 75-100, which is the case if they're set to Mobile.

I use Balanced/Balanced for guys whom I want to threaten me on the ground. I use Balanced/Pocket for guys I want to be mobile in the pocket but not to take off a ton. I use Pocket/Pocket for guys I really don't want to run much at all. Works like a charm.

There was one patch in particular this year that thew scrambles out of whack. Before that patch, Mobile would produce what Balanced produces now, but after that patch, Mobile QBs started taking off at about twice the rate and for twice the yards as before.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #12
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Chiming in to echo Millticket here: the QB trait edit 100% fixes this issue on All Madden.

At Balaned, a good running QB will still get you for 40-50 YDS if you're not careful, but they wont' get you for 75-100, which is the case if they're set to Mobile.

I use Balanced/Balanced for guys whom I want to threaten me on the ground. I use Balanced/Pocket for guys I want to be mobile in the pocket but not to take off a ton. I use Pocket/Pocket for guys I really don't want to run much at all. Works like a charm.

There was one patch in particular this year that thew scrambles out of whack. Before that patch, Mobile would produce what Balanced produces now, but after that patch, Mobile QBs started taking off at about twice the rate and for twice the yards as before.

Going to employ this since I play on AM with 18.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 05-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I completely shut down Newton And Mariota and any other mobile QB I faced by having my most athletic DT spy them every play and user the LDE so he can't get outside the pocket
Old 05-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Why in the world would you have a no switch rule? The game is designed for you to click on and make a play.

I'll do you one better: not only do I play no-switch on D, but I play exclusively using the player-lock camera as well.
Same on offense, either player-lock or the "zoom" camera, depending on the play.

This has saved the game for me for the last few years, (esp. on defense) as I was someone like many here with the "AM is the best challenge, but too arcadey-looking for me as a sim player. AP is the best sim experience but is too easy" conundrum.

Its amazing how much more fun and challenging all-pro can be when you don't have a magical God view of the field.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #15
MVP

Defenders in any type of flat zone, and sometimes hook curls, can also chase down the QB if you are smart about sending them. If you get good at learning when to do this, timing it, and sometimes setting it up when they are abusing the scramble (i.e. I put my stud OLB in a hard flat and send him the instant the QB breaks the pocket) you can get multiple sacks per game out of it.

If they are really killing you a spy on the field may be necessary on most snaps. This is fine, but it does hamper your play calling options and it will open windows in the passing game, but that's what happens every week in the NFL. Spies also make pretty good options for those shallow little nuisance routes, for example from a concept like spacing, that the AI loves to run and typically will get open underneath most zones unless shaded down. Shading down is way too drastic an adjustment to make against a 4 yard route, so spies are often the best option and can sometimes get you INTs.

If you run 3-4 then the Cover 3 Buzz Show 2 out of the Under set is a great play to run when you need to spy the QB. Just change the blitzing MLB to a spy. Ryan Shazier makes the pro bowl every year in my franchise just off the plays he makes in a spy. With good blockshed from the DE spots you can usually get late pressure with just 3, 7 in coverage, and one spy. There are also multiple blitzes which can be set up from this play, and a ton of interesting coverage options. Tampa 2 is probably the best base coverage in the game, but if you don't have good outside CBs 3 Buzz is a very good alternative.

The formation also includes cover 1 and 4 with the show two look, so you can scheme these plays with Tampa 2/OLB Strike 2 to run a defene which only requires 5 plays and is impossible to read presnap because every play looks exactly the same.

Last edited by stinkubus; 05-11-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »