Home

Madden NFL 19: More on Franchise Mode's Additions and Gameplay

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 19: More on Franchise Mode's Additions and Gameplay within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Madden NFL 19: More on Franchise Mode's Additions and Gameplay

Ben Haumiller sat down with our Matt Llewellyn to talk about this year's football release from...

Written By: Matt Llewellyn

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Madden NFL 19: More on Franchise Mode's Additions and Gameplay

" Clint [Oldenberg], our lead gameplay designer, is always going to try to figure out how to build these things out the right way so we can satisfy all three playstyles because we can’t build it for just one. You’ve got to build it so that everybody can enjoy it in the way they want to play it."

I may be misinterpreting this quote, but I see what he's trying to say and I don't agree with it 100%. I think they should be adding things to the game that are exclusive to each mode. Botched/fumbled snaps are something that should be added to the game, but are something that is clearly going to be added to simulation mode only. Those types of little details are what are lacking in Madden and add up to make it feel lackluster compared to other sports games.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 06-18-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

OVR: 0

The only gripe o have with this is the information on relocation. Like why even introduce a feature if the NFL isn't going to let you to implement it properly or not improve on it? Nhl 18 just introduced relocation/expansion this year and it is light years ahead of madden which implemented it a couple of years ago.

If your not going to improve on the relocation feature just take it out of the game. The team names are stupid, the uniforms are lame, and the stadiums look like some generic stadium. Completely kills immersion for relocation franchises.

On another note I do not know why the NFL is so sensitive of its intellectual property when it comes to video games. Like do they really think it's going to drive down the value of a team if I choose to relocate the chiefs to bum fudge Egypt and change their uniforms and stadium to look like whatever I want. Get real! It's a video game roger relax.

Honestly relocation just sucks in madden and I haven't even used it other than the first year it came out. Literally hasn't improved in two years.

The NFL needs to wise up because this newer generation of kids play more video games then any generation beforehand, and a lot of this new generation is being introduced to different sports through these games. NBA 2k lets us do whatever we want in our league let us do the same

Last edited by Therebelyell626; 06-18-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
The true benefit of having a scheme fit is, for example, free agency. Say you were going to sign one of two players that you need, a free safety at 75 overall and one that is 80 overall. The traditional Madden logic is you’re going to choose the 80 overall every time. It was an overall game.
This statement irks me, because anyone who plays Madden at any decent level never looks at overall rating in the first place. It is already about what individual ratings fit what you want.

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Old 06-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
MVP

briz1046's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
This statement irks me, because anyone who plays Madden at any decent level never looks at overall rating in the first place. It is already about what individual ratings fit what you want.
Agreed , and my understanding of the archetypes system ( and it's predecessor player types for that matter ) is that the game calculates different OVR based on scheme fit anyway so the 75 and 80 OVR players should have 4 different OVR based on the 4 different archetypes,
Why would you be comparing apples to oranges ,if you could be comparing apples to apples , even just using OVR?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #6
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
Agreed , and my understanding of the archetypes system ( and it's predecessor player types for that matter ) is that the game calculates different OVR based on scheme fit anyway so the 75 and 80 OVR players should have 4 different OVR based on the 4 different archetypes,
Why would you be comparing apples to oranges ,if you could be comparing apples to apples , even just using OVR?
The more they talk about this stuff the more it is obvious they are just making it another feature to make the game simpler for newcomers and people that are "overwhelmed" about how to manage a football team. Where is the depth!?

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Old 06-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #7
Pro

huntt26's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
The only gripe o have with this is the information on relocation. Like why even introduce a feature if the NFL isn't going to let you to implement it properly or not improve on it? Nhl 18 just introduced relocation/expansion this year and it is light years ahead of madden which implemented it a couple of years ago.

If your not going to improve on the relocation feature just take it out of the game. The team names are stupid, the uniforms are lame, and the stadiums look like some generic stadium. Completely kills immersion for relocation franchises.

On another note I do not know why the NFL is so sensitive of its intellectual property when it comes to video games. Like do they really think it's going to drive down the value of a team if I choose to relocate the chiefs to bum fudge Egypt and change their uniforms and stadium to look like whatever I want. Get real! It's a video game roger relax.

Honestly relocation just sucks in madden and I haven't even used it other than the first year it came out. Literally hasn't improved in two years.

The NFL needs to wise up because this newer generation of kids play more video games then any generation beforehand, and a lot of this new generation is being introduced to different sports through these games. NBA 2k lets us do whatever we want in our league let us do the same
Agreed. Even the old NCAA games of last-gen had Team Builder. And 2K's relocation and league customization needs to be the goal. They can put it in MUT too.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I don't think the scheme fits is really something that will make a difference for the way most of OS builds their teams. It is a feature that will benefit those fans who are more casual and do tend to just go after the OVR ratings. I'm sure most of us know people like that. I've got a buddy who is from Bosnia so he is soccer soccer soccer, but he has gotten into other sports the more he has lived here. When he plays NHL or Madden he just goes by OVR. This is the type of feature that may help him understand different player types in the game of football more. To him, he knows Julio Jones and Steve Smith were both good receivers, but he doesn't know what makes them different or what makes each player at every position different.

I also think it's biggest benefit will be for CPU teams in CFM. We've had schemes and player types in the game before, but this seems to take it the furthest and the AI will really value scheme fit more than they ever did previously. Now it seems teams are going to actually build around their schemes which will likely be tied to a playbook that fits it for the AI as they won't be gaming the system like users might. That should benefit the mode since all acquisitions should be moves that make their system more effective. Of course, if play calling is still horrendous it'll nullify most of that, but it does seem to be a step in the right direction in theory.

As far as the way the system ties into progression. For how the system is setup with XP I don't hate what they changed, but I do hate the XP system and the way progression is now. Honestly, I feel like everywhere I go everyone hates the XP system. Here or at other sites that aren't as sim, it seems no one likes the XP system and everyone sees how backwards it is. What they don't all agree on is what should be the system instead.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »