Home

compensatory picks

This is a discussion on compensatory picks within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #9
Emerald Archer

Sphinx's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: compensatory picks

It would be cool to have this but we still don't even have restricted free agents or player options. Those would be two things I think would be ahead of this, along with reworked contracts. But to be fair all of these things kind of work together.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #10
All Star

UFCMPunk's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Probably my biggest bugaboo about franchise mode with respect to missing gameplay mechanics is the lack of compensatory draft picks. Comp picks affect how teams approach free agency and how they handle contract extensions with second- and third-tier players. Their absence from the game is pretty obvious and glaring to me, personally.

That said, comp picks probably can't be implemented effectively without a change in how player contract demands work. In the current system, they'd probably create a rather obvious salary cap imbalance.
Couldn't they do something with the OVR? Since OVR determine the type of contract players get in FA, why not the way Comp picks are handled? If you let a player 85 OVR or above go, your guaranteed a 3rd round comp. If you sign a player 85 or above, it negates it and cancels it out thus you don't get the extra third round pick. So fourth moving on to the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round comp picks.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #11
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCMPunk
Couldn't they do something with the OVR? Since OVR determine the type of contract players get in FA, why not the way Comp picks are handled? If you let a player 85 OVR or above go, your guaranteed a 3rd round comp. If you sign a player 85 or above, it negates it and cancels it out thus you don't get the extra third round pick. So fourth moving on to the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round comp picks.
I'd rather they hand out comp picks based on per-year contract value, snaps played, and postseason accolades, similar to how the (secret) comp pick formula actually works out. OverTheCap wrote a good article on how they project comp picks based on studying how the NFL has awarded them over the years; as far as I'm concerned, Tiburon should just ape that as closely as possible.

My concern with respect to gameplay imbalance if comp picks were magically part of M19 is not comp picks themselves, but rather that the other roster construction mechanics in the game are not balanced to penalize a user for not paying established veterans. Maybe there doesn't need to be and that penalty can be purely the lower AWR / PRC ratings of young players, but generally speaking in my experience with M18 it's pretty easy to draft and develop a guy to be playable very quickly. I also never got the impression that Madden properly inflates free agent contract values over time as the salary cap increases, but I could be way off on that.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »