Home

Archetype/Badge/Icon Ideas

This is a discussion on Archetype/Badge/Icon Ideas within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #1
MVP

saintrules's Arena

OVR: 0
Archetype/Badge/Icon Ideas

I am beyond glad they brought archetypes back in, but I really, REALLY hope they expand on them considering there's what, four for each player?

I'd like to hear some ideas of badges you'd like to see implemented in the game. Let's not forget, Madden 08 had about 12 general roles & three to seven individual icon/badges/archetypes.

I wouldn't want these badges to be given out like free candy either, guys really have to earn them and I want the top level players to have like 3-4 to their name.

Personality Archetypes/Badges/Icons:

Hometown Hero - Player who is from or went to college in the same city/state as the franchise. Could get an OVR boost when is on a local team & he plays at home or gets a significant OVR decrease the further he is away from his hometown.

Team Captain - Player who is above an 85 OVR and has been with the team for at least three seasons. Gives the team an OVR boost when he's on the field, but team gets a significant OVR decrease when he's not (because of injury or fatigue).

Fan Favorite - Player who is above an 90 OVR and has been with the team for at least five seasons. Gets an OVR boost when plays at home.

Hot Head - Player who gets a significant OVR increase when beating a division rival, but also gets a significant OVR decrease when losing to one. Can influence the game in one direction or another because of his attitude.

Future Star - A guy with a high development who is on his way to not just the Pro-Bowl, but a 95+ OVR rating and potential HoF status one day.

Kiss the Rings - Player who has won multiple Superbowl trophies. Gives your team an OVR increase in the playoffs and especially the Superbowl.

Doctor - Injury prone player whose injury rating goes up or down depending on weather, game into season, and physicality of other team.

Skill Archetypes/Badges/Icons:

Speedster - HB/WR who is ridiculously fast. Receives OVR boost when playing on a dry and warm day, but gets a decrease when it's raining or is very cold. Signing/Drafting a bunch of these to Chicago for the crappy rainy/snowy winter would hurt your team.

System player - QB/HB/WR who has to be in a specific scheme or system to do well. Example: A QB coming out of a college known for their Air Raid style offense should receive an OVR decrease if you try to put him into a spread style offense and have him scrambling. I get they kinda have this in place already with scheme fits, but, thought i'd add it.

Hands of Gold - Someone like OBJ who can catch anything under the sun. Junior has some of the best hands ever seen in the league and using him in game is no different than using most top level WR's.

Islander - DB/CB who maintains his own territory like none other. Gets an OVR increase when he's playing against a WR who's severely under skilled.

Franchise Archetypes/Badges/Icons:

Dynasty - Self explanatory. Team who has won say three Superbowls in the last 10 years. Franchise has more opportunities to appeal to FA's or Draftees because of how good they are/have been.

Wild Card - Franchise who is on the verge of competing in the playoffs. Could receive this after making the Wild Card two years in a row, but loses it if they miss the Wild Card or win their division the next season.

Ideal Destination - Franchise who has signed multiple top FA's over the last few seasons.

Dumpster - Franchise who has been in the bottom 75% of the league for the last five seasons. Has to have a winning record to get out.

Rebuild - Franchise who has a collective OVR below an 80 but an average team age under like 28 or something.

Stuff like this makes team building fun to me...it adds longevity to CFM and gives me a reason to keep playing season after season.

Last edited by saintrules; 06-22-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
Rookie

Kingd803's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Archetype/Badge/Icon Ideas

I really like NBA2k’s badge system. I actually love it.

The badge’s I would absolutely love to see I madden is

Quick Release: Quarterback has an abnormally quick throwing motion.

And if you had that. You’d also have

Rocket Arm: QB can throw with elite velocity.

But of course you could have that and still have a slow throwing motion. I think combo of quick release and rocket arm would be really rare. As in probably only Dan Marino would have it. Maybe Elway too.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
MVP

saintrules's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingd803
I really like NBA2k’s badge system. I actually love it.

The badge’s I would absolutely love to see I madden is

Quick Release: Quarterback has an abnormally quick throwing motion.

And if you had that. You’d also have

Rocket Arm: QB can throw with elite velocity.

But of course you could have that and still have a slow throwing motion. I think combo of quick release and rocket arm would be really rare. As in probably only Dan Marino would have it. Maybe Elway too.

The thing I like most about that idea is that it gives a reason to get a certain guy. Like, if you have a suspect offensive line, having a guy who can release it faster than anyone else can prevent sacks all by himself, even if the line can't do it for him.

Other QB Ideas:

Skyscraper - QB who is well over the league average in height...gets a boost if his receivers are also tall...would make putting a tall QB and tall WR's together a positive.

Dual threat - QB who's speed and arm accuracy/power are both above a certain level. Someone like Cam Newton would definitely get this.

Rookie - First year QB who is thrown into the starting role with zero experience. Could have an OVR decrease until he has played a certain number of games. Would prevent you from drafting a dude and immediately putting him into your starting role in the MOST important position in the game. Would make signing a mid range backup FA for a year make actual sense.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:07 PM   #4
MVP

saintrules's Arena

The Franchise/Dynasty badges would probably give one of the biggest increases to longevity for guys like me who like to play 10-15 seasons.

Small Market Franchise - Saints, Titans, Bills, Chiefs, Jaguars, Colts...these teams have a harder time signing major FA's to come play for them unless the player has maybe a connection or former teammate from that team. If the team makes the playoffs at least five years out of ten, they can become a large market team.

Large Market Franchise - Cowboys, Patriots, Giants/Jets, Bears, 49ers...these teams have an easier time attracting major FA's. If the team misses the playoffs five years out of ten, they lose large market status.

Veteran Franchise - Team who has an average league experience over a certain number of years. Could give an OVR boost to any rookies signed because the rook would have a lot of mentors.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Badge/Icon systems have never been implemented well in any sports games...because they are always one sided and result in an over-arcadization of the game. There need to be an equal number of NEGATIVE outcome badges as there are POSITIVE outcome badges.

So, you have "Rocket Arm" - you should have "Wet Noodle Arm". You have "Clutch" - you should have "Choker".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2018, 06:03 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Badge/Icon systems have never been implemented well in any sports games...because they are always one sided and result in an over-arcadization of the game. There need to be an equal number of NEGATIVE outcome badges as there are POSITIVE outcome badges.

So, you have "Rocket Arm" - you should have "Wet Noodle Arm". You have "Clutch" - you should have "Choker".
And they'll never have negative traits. I don't know how serious he was, but Haumiller said the reason they removed the slow development trait is because they have a good working relationship with NFLPA and didn't want anyone to be labeled slow
Old 06-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #7
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
And they'll never have negative traits. I don't know how serious he was, but Haumiller said the reason they removed the slow development trait is because they have a good working relationship with NFLPA and didn't want anyone to be labeled slow

I don't doubt it....and that is why I have zero interest in a badge system for this game. Player ratings are over-done "as is" on this game and it results in 90% of the issues we have with gameplay. The last thing we need is to add "badges" to the game to boost guys even more....
Old 06-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
Rookie

Kingd803's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I don't doubt it....and that is why I have zero interest in a badge system for this game. Player ratings are over-done "as is" on this game and it results in 90% of the issues we have with gameplay. The last thing we need is to add "badges" to the game to boost guys even more....
I agree with the ratings being to high. You don’t like how 2k8 did it though? Quick Release gave you a quicker animation.

And I agree that you should have negative badges. But I doubt EA would ever do that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »