Home

Buying or Not Buying?

This is a discussion on Buying or Not Buying? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2018, 08:22 PM   #521
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Buying or Not Buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I agree with you though I'd like competition but don't blame EA, blame the NFL

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Oh oh, Odogg, be careful.

The links will start appearing/popping up on a article that EA started the "M" word discussions. My theory on the whole beaten dead horse topic is that it takes 2 to tangle in business.

OS used to not allow this kind of a discussion because it's a well beaten dead horse by now and lead to discussions down the proverbial rabbit hole.

Just an FYI.

Doesn't matter who starts it, it should end.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2018, 10:21 PM   #522
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Ya'll love absolving EA when it comes to that license....

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

Last edited by SageInfinite; 07-27-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #523
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

The whole "monopoly" and Exclusive license stuff is such a slippery slope and we've been down this road to the point where the horse is just dust.

So lets just move on from that discussion and get back to semi-being on-topic.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:38 PM   #524
Pro

ChampIsHere42's Arena

OVR: 6

I have a question and some of you might think it is ridiculous but I am going to ask it anyways.

I am so tired of hearing the devs every year say "We just couldn't get it in this year but definitely in the future."

If it is truly so hard to get something that is WAYYY overdue in the game, why not outsource things?

Just throwing something out there but why not have OOTP Developments come up with a Franchise Mode? I've never ventured into any of the OOTP products, but it seems VERY sim and that seems to be what everyone in offline franchise wants. Then the team won't have to worry about the franchise part of it.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:39 PM   #525
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

It just seems OS has become more about defending your position and less just stating opinions and ideas. Everyone attacks everyone else's opinions anymore it seems.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2018, 11:00 PM   #526
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
It just seems OS has become more about defending your position and less just stating opinions and ideas. Everyone attacks everyone else's opinions anymore it seems.
Madden is extremely polarizing. Some people feel like they are being attacked because they like it, and some people feel like they are being attacked because they don't like it.

We are trying to deal with these issues, but it's hard to shift the tone of a forum.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:48 AM   #527
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

OVR: 0

I might skip 19 and think about getting 20. While RPM is a great concept, knowing Madden, the first year of it is going to be either dreadful or really hard to tolerate. See: Madden 13 physics engine.

However, Year 2 of a new gameplay concept sees the most improvement with Madden. I anticipate RPM will have an ***-ugly start, but will get better as the updates and tuning start.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-28-2018, 03:17 AM   #528
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah, all the talk about the best madden years is kind of funny for me. The maddens of the 90s really suffered from a similar incremental upgrade issue that many complain about today. Therefore, none of them stand out to me, and as much as I loved maybe 92 or 94 or some random 90s version, I was constantly disappointed at the lack of upgrades from year to year. This is all gameplay I’m talking about here, not really even talking about franchise or lack thereof (not sure when madden got a franchise). I absolutely got sick and tired of the players looking like they were on skates. Lol. This was my ‘animation issue’, u could say. While many complain about today’s animations (and, with some good reason), I’m just happy players don’t look like they’re sliding around all over the place. Lol. That’s also what the maddens of the 2000s looked like as well. This absolutely killed the look and feel of the game for me and I was hungry for ANY OTHER football game to come along. Lol

First, it was joe Montana football. This game was alright and felt different enough from madden to play as another football game. Tecmo bowl was never madden, but was an enjoyable ‘arcade’ game from time to time and watching players bounce off Bo Jackson was awesome! Lol.

Then came Gameday. Oh, thank you, Gameday, I no longer have to buy madden!! Lol. The ball actually bounced around off fingertips (a bit too much, but this was nice to see in a football game for the first time). Gameday 97 was a truly great game and blew madden out of the water. This was really the year to dump madden, honestly. It didn’t even compare to Gameday. And, anyone who has read the history on that score, it’s interesting (the year madden didn’t come out cause it was so terrible, the devs knew it - either 96 or 97) when the PlayStation was hitting on all cylinders.

Well, then something terrible happened, Gameday got worse. ☹️. Lol. I really don’t understand it, still to this day. 97 was a really solid game, but the next couple games really got worse as they tried to make the graphics better or something.

Anyways, then 2k came along, and we all know the tales of that beautiful game. Lol. . Starting with 2k, I’m pretty sure I didn’t buy another madden till they got the exclusivity. And, what a sad day that was for me. ☹️.

So, for me, it’s funny people talking about 2000-2005 maybe, as the best times for madden for them. Because, I didn’t even play those games because 2k was so much better. I couldn’t fathom why anyone would play madden during that time period. That being said, I played a lot of madden 06, and it did play better than previous maddens, and was enjoyable (not as enjoyable as 2k5, of course ).

Madden 07 on 360 was the beginning of the end. What a travesty that game was. Lol. And, again, small improvements year after year. I wanna say 10 was decent. 12 was decent. But, the game was still lacking.

Then, came the game that everyone hates! M13!! And, while I understand all the CFM people hated this game for creating CFM, lol, in the first place, M13 will forever go down as the ONLY madden game to even ATTEMPT real physics!! This is another one that kills me, people that didn’t give this game a proper shot, or that just didn’t like it. I really think a lot of people didn’t like it because ‘it just wasn’t madden.’ Well, for me, that was a good thing! Lol. . And, I admit, at first glance, ‘it looks just like 12,’ however, when u actually played that game, it felt so much different. I was blown away by the control. That was the year they basically dumped the fifa engine into their code and switched it from playing football to playing American football. As an avid fifa player, I was ecstatic about this gameplay decision. And, while the game had its glitches, I decided to play with the sliders and I got some fantastic games out of it. I was seeing one handed catches by a young Julio Jones. I was seeing toe taps on the sidelines. I was seeing Michael turner run over some fools. And, the tackling was ALL DYNAMIC. They called it the infinity engine because u would see an infinite amount of tackles and plays, and honestly, if u gave that game a chance, it really did. I think u did have to mess with sliders, unfortunately. They did not properly tune that game out of the box at all. But, for me, M13 will be an absolute classic simply because of the physics engine that looked so much better than the canned animation nonsense they went back to. I really think if they had sold out and particularly continued to work with the fifa team, maybe, we would have a great playing physics based game.

But, of course they went in the opposite direction. Lol. And, it is what it is. 25 was playable, but felt like a step backwards. 15 was awful, imo, and was the only madden in recent history I only played for a month or 2.

16 was totally solid, and actually made me feel more like 13. Not really the same game at all, but 16’s solo gameplay was excellent and I didn’t have to play with the sliders at all. That was truly amazing. I like the addition of the catch types and the addition of the different tiers of jukes with precision modifier or sprinting. 17 went backwards with cpu gameplay, somehow. Although, I felt the special moves were better. Sort of the same with 18. Special moves are a little tighter/better. But, the cpu qb gameplay was severely lacking until one of the last patches. After all the patching, 18 prob is the best game they’ve created. And, again, even without sliders, the game actually plays well enough on its own.

I played the beta for 19, and without breaking the NDA (I think, ), I just pre-ordered. I think the RPM is going to give the game that new ‘feel’ that Clint talks about. For me, this will be similar to M13. And, I think they’re moving in the right direction with speed burst. U know, that’s another thing I loved about M13. They removed the speed burst in that one game. Your running back simply accelerated based on his ratings when in the open field. I really liked that, actually. Up until M13, the speed burst always felt Arcady and unrealistic. And, the A button, I believe, allowed u to switch ball carrier hands to protect against fumbles. I loved that small feature being added as well. But, overall, between the videos and the feel I got from the beta, I’m sold on this being a quality game and perhaps the best madden yet.

And, if u read this whole post, that says A LOT. Lol. I have hated madden for roughly half of its lifetime, so I don’t throw around praise for this game, easily. 16-18 were all quality iterations of the game and play way better than the 2000s. I think 19 will be even better. And, as some have posted, I think I also decided when playing 16, ‘you know what? Just play the game. Just play football. And, don’t worry about every time your stupid running back runs out of bounds for no reason on a flat route that took too long to develop. Just huddle up and run another play.’ Lol. Seriously, though, why in the world do RBs run out of the flat out of bounds as if they can run their route into the stands? I’d like to see madden reprogram their player standards to better understand what out of bounds is (and, to realize that the back of the end zone is out of bounds as well). Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »