Home

Shopmaster YT video regarding scouting

This is a discussion on Shopmaster YT video regarding scouting within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #49
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Shopmaster YT video regarding scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Yeah, but the Director of College Scouting doesn't actually go watch anyone play. He sends the low level employees/unpaid interns to do that.
Fair enough, so how to incorporate that into a video game? How about a pool of generated employees with resumes or some type of info to differentiate them. You hire from your teams pool or other teams pools or another GM to take the position of general manager. The skill of that person could decide how accurate and specific the player evaluations are from the base that every team gets (scouting agencies that teams make use of).
Old 07-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #50
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

I understand realistically the gm isnt completely responsible for the evaluation, but it gets the basic idea across with room for error and some teams doing it better than others.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:09 PM   #51
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by michapop9
Fair enough, so how to incorporate that into a video game? How about a pool of generated employees with resumes or some type of info to differentiate them. You hire from your teams pool or other teams pools or another GM to take the position of general manager. The skill of that person could decide how accurate and specific the player evaluations are from the base that every team gets (scouting agencies that teams make use of).
I'm not really certain how to make the process more engaging. I mostly find it tedious and wouldn't care at all if the game simply provided us rough grades for the top three skills plus combine figures for all players. "Scouting" would then be the process of reviewing and collating that information, deciding what's relevant, and building your draft board.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2018, 02:27 PM   #52
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
I'm not really certain how to make the process more engaging. I mostly find it tedious and wouldn't care at all if the game simply provided us rough grades for the top three skills plus combine figures for all players. "Scouting" would then be the process of reviewing and collating that information, deciding what's relevant, and building your draft board.
I think that's the direction to take , scouting being a hiring process and a reviewing of information rather than a player by player process of unlocking ratings .
Ratings are made visible , just with degrees of blurring / inaccuracy that are dependant on your hires
Each team would see it's own weighted/ inaccurate big board and work from that , altogether less tedious , more authentic and interesting and I'd say more fun
Old 07-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #53
Pro

chunt04's Arena

OVR: 4

This style of scouting has already been in FIFA for years now. Why would NHL get this before Madden. It really is disappointing to see Madden continually kick things down the road.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

VT Grad '08
Old 07-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #54
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
I think that's the direction to take , scouting being a hiring process and a reviewing of information rather than a player by player process of unlocking ratings .
Ratings are made visible , just with degrees of blurring / inaccuracy that are dependant on your hires
Each team would see it's own weighted/ inaccurate big board and work from that , altogether less tedious , more authentic and interesting and I'd say more fun
The "completeness" of the information could also restricted by round projection, so perhaps you'd only get one skill plus combine stats for players with 5-7th round grades. Going from being able to cherry pick all the late round studs to having them be more or less random would be a good thing, imo.

There's a ton of good articles out there on just how lightly the decisions on those late round picks are made. Most are players the teams know little to nothing about.

I don't think anyone can point to a comprehensive study that shows anyone has an a priori advantage in the draft as a whole, much less in evaluating late round talent.

The year the Steelers drafted Antonio Brown they had sent scouts to Central Michigan to checkout a late round QB. His agility caught their attention, so the took him with their sixth round pick, and the rest is history.

Having variable quality scouts would be a fine means of tweaking difficulty or adding a bit of role playing flavor in single player, but it would absolutely wreck competitive balance in 32 man settings. This would need a toggle on/off, imo.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #55
Rookie

Quote:
The year the Steelers drafted Antonio Brown they had sent scouts to Central Michigan to checkout a late round QB. His agility caught their attention, so the took him with their sixth round pick, and the rest is history.
this type of occurrence is actually a lot more common than you would think, you hear things like this alot when it comes to undrafted players and late rounders who outperform the expectations
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #56
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
The "completeness" of the information could also restricted by round projection, so perhaps you'd only get one skill plus combine stats for players with 5-7th round grades. Going from being able to cherry pick all the late round studs to having them be more or less random would be a good thing, imo.

There's a ton of good articles out there on just how lightly the decisions on those late round picks are made. Most are players the teams know little to nothing about.

I don't think anyone can point to a comprehensive study that shows anyone has an a priori advantage in the draft as a whole, much less in evaluating late round talent.

Having variable quality scouts would be a fine means of tweaking difficulty or adding a bit of role playing flavor in single player, but it would absolutely wreck competitive balance in 32 man settings. This would need a toggle on/off, imo.
Absolutely , everything they add , above and beyond basic NFL apparatus like PUP or RFA should come with options to simulate/switch off whichever is appropriate

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »