Home

TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT

This is a discussion on TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT

I remember when I lived in Richmond, VA hearing about how this place up in College Park, MD had NCAA early. It was a Friday about 4pm and I told my boss I had to go (she was cool) and I hit the road to get NCAA early.

That day was the first day I had ever driven in Washington D.C. traffic and man it was terrible, it took me like 3 hours to get through it at rush hour on a Friday but I eventually got to the place about 8pm and got my NCAA early for the weekend!

The drive back only took about an hour or so because there was absolutely no traffic heading back, LOL..

Oh the good times eh?

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 0

Also on the digital bandwagon, but I certainly have fond memories of the release parties and tournaments. I'm 38 now and probably couldn't commit to going to them anyway, but in my late teens and early twenties Madden's release date was a mandatory sick day from work
Old 08-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #11
MVP

Rocket32's Arena

I think digital preorders have been a pretty significant factor in that kind of thing stopping. Why go out to GameStop later at night to get it and wait then drive back when you could just stay home and relax and just wait for it to unlock and and be all ready to play at midnight?

Some people that enjoy the experience of it would probably continue to show up but having that option now with it becoming more popular likely not enough people would bother getting it that way so it’s probably not worth it for GameStop to continue doing pizza, soft drinks, and tournaments.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket32
I think digital preorders have been a pretty significant factor in that kind of thing stopping. Why go out to GameStop later at night to get it and wait then drive back when you could just stay home and relax and just wait for it to unlock and and be all ready to play at midnight?

Some people that enjoy the experience of it would probably continue to show up but having that option now with it becoming more popular likely not enough people would bother getting it that way so it’s probably not worth it for GameStop to continue doing pizza, soft drinks, and tournaments.
If Gamestop was smart they'd make a big deal out of stuff like this because it really can be a lot of fun and there are, as you say, very few reasons to just go out and buy it at the store unless they do a big party, pizza, tournament etc.

But then there is a reason that Gamestop is circling the drain...

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #13
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

I got lucky and Amazon delivered mine today!
Old 08-06-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

I have done the Gamestop midnight releases where we had to actually wait until midnight. People would start lining up around 9pm. Someone would always bring a football or two and we would have scrimmages of touch football in the parking lot.

Gamestop started doing the 9pm, maybe to keep everyone out of the parking lot. lol.

This is my first year doing the digital pre-order. I assume the release is midnight EST, thus 11pm Central and so on?
Old 08-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #15
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

I remember the neighborhood moms taking turns driving the neighborhood kids to midnight releases for NCAA and Madden. 6 to 7 of us would pile into someones minivan and wait in line, it was really a simpler time.

Now i jusr preorder and pre load games digitally. Does anyone know when the HOF edition becomes playable on the east coast? It it right at midnight?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
This is my first year doing the digital pre-order. I assume the release is midnight EST, thus 11pm Central and so on?
Yes sir. 11 pm Central.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »