Home

M'19 Biggest Draft Studs and Freaks

This is a discussion on M'19 Biggest Draft Studs and Freaks within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #49
Rookie

saybur's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: M'19 Biggest Draft Studs and Freaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan01
There's no variety with the generated prospects. Lots of giant (like 6'6"+) strong arm QB's. Scramblers are always smaller. Lots of really slow power running backs. Huge WR's who move more like a TE. Deep threat midgets. Only a handful of LB's with even mid 80's speed any given year. CB's are fast at the top of the board, but the speed drops drastically once you get to the mid rounds and soon you're left drafting corners with 86-88 speed.

There are still some studs to be found, but everything just feels too cookie cutter. Nobody breaks the mold of the archetype they're assigned. Power backs are slow. Red zone threats are slow. Deep threats are small. And apparently the devs still can't do a simple google search to figure out the average age of an NFL draft pick. Love resigning guys who already 27 or 28 at the end of their rookie deals.
This is pretty spot on. TE and LB need a big athleticism boost across the board. Just look at the ratings in FA. The below average guys are more athletic than most of the best prospects in these drafts. Just another disappointing aspect in M19.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #50
Rookie

saybur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpower15
Have any of you noticed the in game commentary calling drafted players by name (last name)? I just got through my first offseason and after a couple preseason games haven’t heard any called by their last name, just stuff like “he finds his tight end for a first down” rather than “he finds Armstrong for a first down”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Something else they left out. Even NCAA 14 can announce created player names.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #51
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpower15
Have any of you noticed the in game commentary calling drafted players by name (last name)? I just got through my first offseason and after a couple preseason games haven’t heard any called by their last name, just stuff like “he finds his tight end for a first down” rather than “he finds Armstrong for a first down”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have but it’s very rare. Even if it can say their name it usually sticks to generic lines about their position or boy type. I’m 6 games through a season and heard my tight ends name once

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #52
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I'm using custom classes and don't want to spoil any of the players in those classes.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcourtne
I’ve only been thru one draft, but this above would describe it. In past Madden’s I always thought the draft classes were too overpowered compared to the the original rosters. Way too much speed in the drafts in prior versions.

I’m glad to see that toned down. Scouting and understanding combine results are that much more important. And those slower power backs may be more useful if the rest of the league speed is toned down.

The best overall in the draft I did were by far weighted toward the OL. The draft players far outpace the talent at OL on the original rosters - and its much needed.

I did draft something of a stud at CB - 98 speed with decent man and zone coverage. 81 OVR - he will start immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree that the speed needed to be toned down, as several years ago you could easily draft guys with high 90's speed and they'd be superstars immediately. So it had to be done. But the way they've done it has just created more issues IMO. I can find QB's that are faster than some of the RB's and WR's. DE's that are faster than most of the LB's in the draft. And safeties that are much faster than the corners. It's just not well balanced at all.

And as I said earlier, players being jammed into these archetypes is definitely a let down. I don't think we'll ever see a generated prospect like Megatron or AP come along because they break that mold. And that takes away alot from the draft I think.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:12 AM   #54
Pro

Mbunn1993's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
I agree that the speed needed to be toned down, as several years ago you could easily draft guys with high 90's speed and they'd be superstars immediately. So it had to be done. But the way they've done it has just created more issues IMO. I can find QB's that are faster than some of the RB's and WR's. DE's that are faster than most of the LB's in the draft. And safeties that are much faster than the corners. It's just not well balanced at all.

And as I said earlier, players being jammed into these archetypes is definitely a let down. I don't think we'll ever see a generated prospect like Megatron or AP come along because they break that mold. And that takes away alot from the draft I think.
This is essentially why I boost some of the players drafted who look intriguing, and pin it basically as they were underrated and looking like steals on the field.

I also try and not take high overall too serious for rookies for this reason , as I sort of act like the “fans” of my league don’t see overall ratings for them yet, just what’s on the field.

Sort of like how it is currently IRL. A rookie who started off at 80 in madden ends up at 90 by the end of the year, may have been a true 90 overall talent IRL all along. I use these same reasons to justify treating a team with a nice mid 80s steal in the draft if that makes any sense :3
Old 09-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #55
MVP

OVR: 1

if you remember HC09, you knew what each player would be like because of the position, height and weight. any player non standard was likely to be of interest. what disturbs me is i always thought a 3-4 DE was a run stopper first and foremost, both sides. they were likely to be 6'7" and 290 lbs. now because of schemes i cant build the defence i want and cpu teams dont draft sensibly. for example i always scout speed rushers and power rushers whether lolb or rolb as i know i can change the side they play on. i could find a pass coverage lber and switch them to safety, or a red zone threat WR to a Vertical threat TE.
If you draft someone you have to figure out can they contribute before you cut them and take penalties, and examining all options makes sense, ie position changes starting each year in ncaa 14.
in madden 08 on pc nearly all names were announced iirc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2018, 11:34 AM   #56
Rookie

Quote:
There's no variety with the generated prospects. Lots of giant (like 6'6"+) strong arm QB's. Scramblers are always smaller. Lots of really slow power running backs. Huge WR's who move more like a TE. Deep threat midgets. Only a handful of LB's with even mid 80's speed any given year. CB's are fast at the top of the board, but the speed drops drastically once you get to the mid rounds and soon you're left drafting corners with 86-88 speed.

There are still some studs to be found, but everything just feels too cookie cutter. Nobody breaks the mold of the archetype they're assigned. Power backs are slow. Red zone threats are slow. Deep threats are small. And apparently the devs still can't do a simple google search to figure out the average age of an NFL draft pick. Love resigning guys who already 27 or 28 at the end of their rookie deals.
This was a huge problem in past Madden's as well, though. It is the biggest reason why I welcomed the custom draft classes. It is nothing new.

The age thing though, they supposedly fixed in the last patch. It was in the patch notes.

Last edited by peapod0609; 09-24-2018 at 11:23 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »