Home

I really don't like what this patch did to defensive coverage

This is a discussion on I really don't like what this patch did to defensive coverage within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2018, 09:47 AM   #33
MVP

Outkizast's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: I really don't like what this patch did to defensive coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinersFan49
Before the patch there were volleyball picks, warping lbs diving ahead of faster players who have them beat to deflect passes, DBs sucking the ball through receiver's hands for picks, players near the LOS twisting backwards and swatting passes intended for receivers 20 yds behind them.

Another thing was that the receiver's body had no presence to the defenders. They could jump over or brush directly in front of a running receiver and pick the ball on what should have been a collision and PI.

Sure it was more difficult, but it was ridiculously unrealistic.
This had not been my experience at all. I never saw defenders making plays on balls meant for 20 yards behind them..

And I thought that defensive players were finally aggressive this year and put up a realistic challenge. Even my CPU controlled user defenders. It was awesome to see. Now I have to go back to the drawing board like all past Maddens and turn user pass coverage and react way up again.... I thought it was perfect pre-patch.

And I play an online franchise with a buddy so I can't just not install the patch... lame sauce
Old 08-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 0

The tuning of defensive knockouts for non possession catches had led to a lot less catch tackle animations and defenders being able to swat some passes that were intended for receivers behind them is what has robo qb back
Old 08-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinersFan49
Before the patch there were volleyball picks, warping lbs diving ahead of faster players who have them beat to deflect passes, DBs sucking the ball through receiver's hands for picks, players near the LOS twisting backwards and swatting passes intended for receivers 20 yds behind them.

Another thing was that the receiver's body had no presence to the defenders. They could jump over or brush directly in front of a running receiver and pick the ball on what should have been a collision and PI.

Sure it was more difficult, but it was ridiculously unrealistic.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2018, 08:51 PM   #36
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
I'm getting sick and tired of seeing this posted. Competitive players had no problems passing pre-patch. On what are you basing this statement?
He basing it on the fact they’re complaining everywhere there’s a forum!

These dudes couldn’t do the crap they been known to do anymore or effectively!

I loved what I was playing and I too have noticed the zone being dumbed down as it actually worked as drawn and and played out correctly!

Now I see the psychic DBs back as when I run a pass against man covereage and the defender either has his eyes on the QB while he is chasing his man down or his looking and both and as I thrown a pass behind him to someone else it triggers a ballerinas type of move and he deflects a pass that he shouldn’t have been able to have seen coming!

Phew!!!
Old 08-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #37
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

With the sliders I am using, the cpu defense seems right as my passing is between 60-65% so I’m fine with that.

I just have been having issues with user defense, might need to raise my int slider a bit idk, but my DBs will most the time get that “stuck in the mud” look and react slow on a slant or curl route.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:00 AM   #38
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
Now I see the psychic DBs back as when I run a pass against man covereage and the defender either has his eyes on the QB while he is chasing his man down or his looking and both and as I thrown a pass behind him to someone else it triggers a ballerinas type of move and he deflects a pass that he shouldn’t have been able to have seen coming!

I have the same problem with DB’s. They’re making catches they should never make even with int turned down. WR are attacking the ball, and sometimes I’ve seen them not even attempt to make a catch a couple of cams above them and they’re ducked. Challenges are stupid as well. Half the time you can’t challenge and I’ve seen the cpu win challenges that are obviously wrong. I struggle to play good games as I’m hit with the AI doing stupid, inhuman things that cause me to lose games. I also think that coverage is way too bad on this game
Old 08-26-2018, 08:51 AM   #39
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
Defensive backs simply do not play good coverage after the patch. User or CPU. In zone they don't react to any receiver even within two feet of the defensive back. Man, they make no effort to stay with their assignment. Jamie's Winston went 34/37 against me on 8 minutes simulation. Even when I was calling the right coverage shells my d backs were making no efforts to play the receiver. Even when I user switched my button inputs were not responding to swats and interceptions. I knew they were going to patch this game to hell and I really like the way it was playing at release.

This game is going on the shelf after 4 weeks same as last year. Why even have a simulation mode if you are just going to make everything feel like competitive?
It's much better than having psychic DBs that literally run the route for the WR before he even makes his break. Literally if it's an out or corner the DB would literally turn his hips before the WR. As well as break on it before the QB even released the ball. Still happens on All Madden which negates ratings entirely.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 08-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I was worried immediately post-patch about this, but I'm finding plenty of defense in the game post-patch.

I'm running on AM and am in the high-50% to low-60% range, with the CPU in the same range.

The thing I'll say is that sliders work, so use them. I wanted move coverage, so I went to 55 PCVG and PDRT for the HUM, as well as 55 for DPI and DHOLD. That, coupled with CPU QBA @ 7 is working beautifully for me.

I think you can get what you want defensively within 10 points of default on the key slider areas, save CPU QBA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »