Home

Re-signing players during the season

This is a discussion on Re-signing players during the season within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
Rookie

Huskereurocat's Arena

OVR: 0
Re-signing players during the season

I know that Madden seems to put a lot of stock in signing players during the season. Is this really necessary? Can't you wait until the end of the season, before FA and do all your signing then or is that not a good idea? It just seems that I spend an awful lot of cash signing a player to a new contract during the season.
What are the pros and cons of waiting?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Re-signing players during the season

The biggest con of waiting is that you only get 1 shot to negotiate the contract with them you'll make that initial offer then they'll either accept or decline it. If you start the negotiations during the season then you can make multiple offers.

In my observations waiting until the offseason to try and re-sign them doesn't save you any money. The only way I've saved money on re-signing a player is sometimes with a mid level or depth veteran that I don't think will have a big free agent market and I let them go to free agency then re-sign them for cheaper than they initially were asking for.

I do wish they would re-do the whole contract negotiation process. I wish they would make it more of a negotiation where they tell you what they're looking for and you make an offer the they either accept or come with a suggestion of a counter offer and the process goes back and forth until an agreement is reached. I'm fine with working on re-signing players during the season just would rather see more of a negotiation process whether they bring fake agents in to the game or just have you negotiate with the player themselves.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I typically offer the fair market value and they don’t accept I let them go to free agency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

I actually like that players ask for more money this year, it finally makes you have to think more about your cap situation. In past Maddens you could re-sign every one of your studs and usually stay under the cap down the road.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
Rookie

I havent payed attention, if you re-sign a level 80 played in week 3 vs waiting to the end of the year and they have a big year POY ect and they end the year at like 89. Do they ask for more money based on their new rating, or does the asking price stay the same?

If it changes i would think signing them early is better cause it saves your money signing them at 80 vs waiting and signing them at 89 at the end of the year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #6
Pro

sinthros's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzy25
I havent payed attention, if you re-sign a level 80 played in week 3 vs waiting to the end of the year and they have a big year POY ect and they end the year at like 89. Do they ask for more money based on their new rating, or does the asking price stay the same?

If it changes i would think signing them early is better cause it saves your money signing them at 80 vs waiting and signing them at 89 at the end of the year.
In my experience it does change. So if someone becomes better they'll ask for more once they progress, and people who regress will ask for less.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #7
MVP

Rayzaa's Arena

The lower rated players you can save money on at the end.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzaa
The lower rated players you can save money on at the end.
Interesting, I guess I've never noticed that because I've never really jotted down what a player was asking for earlier in the year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »