Home

IF you could pick out one major issue in Madden that you wish could be fixed...

This is a discussion on IF you could pick out one major issue in Madden that you wish could be fixed... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #17
Rookie

burter's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: IF you could pick out one major issue in Madden that you wish could be fixed...

I want to say OL DL, but really ratings have to matter. Like they must matter.

Playing a chise and finish my first season. I had to literally make my team a 48 overall rating to have any kind of feel of ratings meaning something. Went 5-11. All my OLmen are 12 overall rating. The way they played, a guy that is 65 overall should be playing like that. However you can get away with having a bunch of 60 overall linemen and still run the ball and have good pass pocket even with sliders down to 0 on all madden.

Have to do too many house rules to make the game play good, instead of fixing how ratings work. Or at least fix how sliders work. Sliders are horrible. I got 0 in pass blocking. The cpu DL should just blow my guys out of the water the minute I hike it. At least they did with my 12 overall linemen.

Actually fix sliders. Lol! I think they need to make it to were if you put it at 0 you see an astronomically difference. Same if you put it at 100.

Quotes lines from Mr. Schwarzenegger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0...eature=related

How to not get your a** kicked by the police.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=uj0mtxXEGE8#!
Old 04-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: IF you could pick out one major issue in Madden that you wish could be fixed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Gameplay, the interactions of players on the field. We need to have the tools to counter what the opponent is doing on the field without having to manipulate AI weaknesses and jerry-rigging plays.

If, for example, I feel there is a slant about to be run, or I wish to defend against the slant, I should have the tools to do so. This should involve something as simple as telling my defender(s) to cover the specific slant route primarily. Isn't this the point of football, to match minds between opponents and having the tools to counter what we believe our opponent is attempting? We lack the proper tools/control. -----

I really like your point above mate, since it really triggered my mind to process the biggest improvement I'd truly like to see. Give me a game where the features already present are fully functional, rather than lather on new back-of-the-box fluff that few of us care much about. After that is sorted, then start expanding the horizons by adding features that improve the game by actually doing something to enhance the playing experience.

Your point above is a perfect example that this is not being reflected. For instance, if you want to play the slant, you have the ability to shade inside and underneath the WR in order to give yourself a chance to defend it. However, at times the corner will not even attempt to play this leverage correctly, even if he is a well-rated DB. The tool here is present, but it does not work properly enough of the time.

Don't get me wrong I do enjoy fluff, if it includes a couple of slices of bread and some peanut butter to go with it.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:04 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

For me, its Line Interaction. Dice rolls and probability seems to take over decide if it is either a win/lose situation. Also the Insta-shed that has plauged Madden since last gen. Pressing Turbo triggering DLmen to disengage and go after the ball carrier immediately has been frustrating for years.
Having realistic lineplay would add so much realism to gameplay. Dice Roll and Probability should always have an impact especially it can allow ratings to stand out. But I want to see the truly dominant players stand oiut and have to be gameplanned against. Thats one thing I liked about APF 2k8. Truly dominant players stood out. The lineplay wasn't perfect, but it was smooth and is still light years ahead of Madden
Old 04-12-2019, 09:59 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Easily it is vastly improved AI for me. Madden's AI is as basic as it gets.

I'm strictly a franchise guy and I want an immersive franchise. To get that the AI needs to make huge strides. AI controlled Baltimore Ravens with Jackson will play the same way as AI controlled Patriots with Brady for crying out loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Less dicerolls, more ratings determined outcomes.

I have other nuances of the game, but that would be my one to focus on.
One of the few times I disagree with you man. To be honest, I think you're completely off the mark. If a RB has a 90 btk rating and a defender has a 80 tackle rating, should the RB always break the tackle? Virtually everyone would say no, there should be a chance that the lower rating wins. Thats a dice roll.

I want more dice rolls that aren't of the if (user controlled == yes) variety lol
Old 04-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds

I'm strictly a franchise guy and I want an immersive franchise. To get that the AI needs to make huge strides. AI controlled Baltimore Ravens with Jackson will play the same way as AI controlled Patriots with Brady for crying out loud.

One of the few times I disagree with you man. To be honest, I think you're completely off the mark. If a RB has a 90 btk rating and a defender has a 80 tackle rating, should the RB always break the tackle? Virtually everyone would say no, there should be a chance that the lower rating wins. Thats a dice roll.

I want more dice rolls that aren't of the if (user controlled == yes) variety lol
I think that in order for a tackling animation to play out believably, some element of physics needs to play out. In your example, if the RB was just making his move through the hole, while the defender had built up momentum and had a dead shot, absolutely the defender should have a chance to win.

The dice roll mechanic just seems to play out a little too much to me. In a way, I understand it as it appears that EA is trying to program the player emotion, clutch rating, etc. On the other hand, the way it sometimes plays out, it gives off a scripted feel. Hard to really explain, but I know it when I see it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
I think that in order for a tackling animation to play out believably, some element of physics needs to play out. In your example, if the RB was just making his move through the hole, while the defender had built up momentum and had a dead shot, absolutely the defender should have a chance to win.

The dice roll mechanic just seems to play out a little too much to me. In a way, I understand it as it appears that EA is trying to program the player emotion, clutch rating, etc. On the other hand, the way it sometimes plays out, it gives off a scripted feel. Hard to really explain, but I know it when I see it.
They need to improve the implementation for sure. I'm not a fan of the tier system they have in place where its something like an 88 isn't better than a 84 in practice. And the bottom tier threshold is too high and too large, its why you see a kicker use the same tackle animations as a corner back.

I understand what you are trying to say, so please don't take this as me being argumentative, but a dice roll needs to be present in virtually every interaction in the game. By definition, its what keeps the game from being scripted.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:42 PM   #23
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
They need to improve the implementation for sure. I'm not a fan of the tier system they have in place where its something like an 88 isn't better than a 84 in practice. And the bottom tier threshold is too high and too large, its why you see a kicker use the same tackle animations as a corner back.

I understand what you are trying to say, so please don't take this as me being argumentative, but a dice roll needs to be present in virtually every interaction in the game. By definition, its what keeps the game from being scripted.
I don't argue with people about it either, but this is the thing that many folks don't realize is completely vital to the game functioning well. The problems arise because the game is lacking thousands of animations big and small that would better represent the range of dice rolls from the probable to the highly unlikely. This is especially true as it relates to multiple player interactions.

In a sports video games "organic" is illusory, some games pull it off better than others because of having more animations and just as importantly systems that allow the right animation to trigger at the appropriate time more often.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:21 AM   #24
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:

Well, maybe I should have made myself more clearer to everyone. I'm more in line with Edge and jfsolo.

Bottom line for me, in at least 75% of outcomes, I'd like to see ratings win out more on a consistent basis than what we have now. So, if a 88 btk rated rb vs a 75 tackle rated defender, at least 75% of the time, I'd like to see the rb get by the 75 rated defender, not get blown up in the backfield 100% of the time.

That includes more animations being played out than what we have now, plus I'd like to see more realistic physics play out.

Didn't think I was way off the mark, but admit I should have been more clearer.

Again, bottom line, more realistic outcomes via dice roll.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »