Home

Madden NFL 20 Gameplay Changes: Encouraging but We've Been Here Before

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 20 Gameplay Changes: Encouraging but We've Been Here Before within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2019, 06:16 PM   #25
Rookie

The Black Redneck's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 20 Gameplay Changes: Encouraging but We've Been Here Before

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
I'm not holding my breath anymore. I think I've learned the difference between a fun game and a good game, and honestly, Madden falls into the "fun" category for me. I'm tired of being cynical but when you haven't been satisfied with the last five years of production, it's hard to be anything but.

Kudos to those who buy it and have fun this year. I'm gonna pass.
Maybe I am messing your point but if it’s a fun game wouldn’t that make it a good game? I call Madden a good game because I have fun with it. It’s not without it flaws of course. But it is what it is, a fun football game that is made for a wide variety of players and football fans.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2019, 07:05 PM   #26
Pro

GoJags904's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Redneck
Maybe I am messing your point but if it’s a fun game wouldn’t that make it a good game? I call Madden a good game because I have fun with it. It’s not without it flaws of course. But it is what it is, a fun football game that is made for a wide variety of players and football fans.
Madden is a fun game, imo, because its the only football game i can play n i love football. A good game is a game with extreme focus on details, core gameplay, great depth and is true to the fantasy they are trying to portray...mainly non sports games these days. I cannot say that because i have fun trying to win a game with bad gameplay its a good game. Its trash but i have fun because im forced to either find enjoyment or stop purchasing and find another game or sport.

I stay content with where we are because I realize the people in charge dont care about real life football aspects not working properly in game. Its like rap music nowadays....before the depth of the lyrics/story mattered and the passion in the vocals. Now its whateva rhymes and has a good beat can sell huge and thats what matters. Who cares when trash makes more money, thats EA and almost every other business these days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NFL --- JAX JAGUARS (DUUUUVAAAL)
MLB --- BOSTON RED SOX
NBA --- LAKERS4LIFE
NCAAF --- GATOR NATION (UF)
NCAAB --- DUKE BLUE DEVILS
MLS --- DC UNITED
BARCLAYS PL --- CHELSEA

MUSIC/ARTIST ALIAS --- SHIESTY SLIM
"CRAY CRAY" available on ITUNES, GOOGLE PLAY, AMAZON
Old 04-30-2019, 08:18 PM   #27
Rookie

No matter how many animations they put in the game, the fact that the outcomes are dice rolls based on ratings and difficulty (and not physics and the respective football technique and contextual intelligence of each player), there will always be wonky and awkward transitions. *I don’t get how some of you wish for them to perpetuate this system that’s so clearly flawed. *Yes, more animations and more realistic movement can be beneficial, but not if the foundation is bad
Old 04-30-2019, 10:20 PM   #28
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent89
No matter how many animations they put in the game, the fact that the outcomes are dice rolls based on ratings and difficulty (and not physics and the respective football technique and contextual intelligence of each player), there will always be wonky and awkward transitions. *I don’t get how some of you wish for them to perpetuate this system that’s so clearly flawed. *Yes, more animations and more realistic movement can be beneficial, but not if the foundation is bad
Dice rolls are required to prevent totally predictable ( ie completely repeatable ) gameplay

Football technique , physics , contextual A.I. and any other nice sounding sound bite " buzz words " cant alone replicate the element of chance that a game requires in order for it to be a true representation of football or anything else in real life

In real life players drop passes they should catch , miss tackles and blocks that they usually make etc. Combining ratings and a dice roll mechanic is the only way a game can represent this

Without the variety of outcomes brought about by such a mechanic play becomes entirely predictable ( and repeatable) and the game just becomes a question of which player has the better memory or crib sheet

I'd be first to call for better implementation of physics , better player A.I , more numerous and more appropriate animation selection etc but they alone can't replace dice rolls if you want a realistic and replayable game, without them the game would have the same replay value as a crossword puzzle

Last edited by briz1046; 04-30-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:08 AM   #29
Rookie

burter's Arena

OVR: 6

We will see if it does anything. Maybe get ratings and/or sliders to actually matter? I had to make my chise team 48 overall just to get some form of thrill. Instead of having low rating Olineman, like 50 overall, I had to drop all of them down to 12 overall with 0 in pass/run block, 0 in speed/acc and 0 in awr just to get pressure on me in All-Madden. I got sack like 70 times that season and had like 7 td's to 33 int. 9 or so fumbles. I loved it though. That's what I want from this game if I have sliders at 0 and ratings mattered.

See this is the problem though. I should not have to do all of that if ratings/sliders worked like they are suppose too. If I put 0 in sliders and have a 60 overall lineman, I should be getting pressure every time I drop back to pass. Nope doesn't happen. So the second part of that problem is Chise mode itself. It feels like you don't really need to draft to need because you can get away with having 60 overall lineman and still run and pass like you have 90 overall lineman. So what is the point of caring about drafting first overall or high draft pick when you can get away with drafting guys in round 5+?

Doing all that I did made drafting fun for me because I had such low end guys and had a bad record. However, the minute I start getting avg. or below avg guys on O and D it will get easy again. I want to have a some what good to great team to be able to beat the cpu. Not some bum team I can win with because ratings don't matter and sliders don't work..............

Quotes lines from Mr. Schwarzenegger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0...eature=related

How to not get your a** kicked by the police.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=uj0mtxXEGE8#!
Old 05-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #30
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by burter
We will see if it does anything. Maybe get ratings and/or sliders to actually matter? I had to make my chise team 48 overall just to get some form of thrill. Instead of having low rating Olineman, like 50 overall, I had to drop all of them down to 12 overall with 0 in pass/run block, 0 in speed/acc and 0 in awr just to get pressure on me in All-Madden. I got sack like 70 times that season and had like 7 td's to 33 int. 9 or so fumbles. I loved it though. That's what I want from this game if I have sliders at 0 and ratings mattered.

See this is the problem though. I should not have to do all of that if ratings/sliders worked like they are suppose too. If I put 0 in sliders and have a 60 overall lineman, I should be getting pressure every time I drop back to pass. Nope doesn't happen. So the second part of that problem is Chise mode itself. It feels like you don't really need to draft to need because you can get away with having 60 overall lineman and still run and pass like you have 90 overall lineman. So what is the point of caring about drafting first overall or high draft pick when you can get away with drafting guys in round 5+?

Doing all that I did made drafting fun for me because I had such low end guys and had a bad record. However, the minute I start getting avg. or below avg guys on O and D it will get easy again. I want to have a some what good to great team to be able to beat the cpu. Not some bum team I can win with because ratings don't matter and sliders don't work..............
I've sworn that for years there is a hidden rubberbanding or fairplay in effect with this. I've been playing NCAA 14 and taking a 70~ overall team into Tuscaloosa is just a guaranteed L unless absolutely everything goes right and even then that's just to have a chance. I never have that feeling in Madden. Even if you want to say "Any Given Sunday" that still doesn't quite explain it. Every team just feels equal within about 1-3 degrees in a way I feel they shouldn't, whereas in NCAA if you have a weak spot and the other team is equipped to exploit it you will feel it all game
Old 05-01-2019, 10:11 PM   #31
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze88
I've sworn that for years there is a hidden rubberbanding or fairplay in effect with this. I've been playing NCAA 14 and taking a 70~ overall team into Tuscaloosa is just a guaranteed L unless absolutely everything goes right and even then that's just to have a chance. I never have that feeling in Madden. Even if you want to say "Any Given Sunday" that still doesn't quite explain it. Every team just feels equal within about 1-3 degrees in a way I feel they shouldn't, whereas in NCAA if you have a weak spot and the other team is equipped to exploit it you will feel it all game

I'd say that's more a product of the greater skill gaps present in college as opposed to pro football than any difference in the two games programming
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2019, 10:17 PM   #32
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
I'd say that's more a product of the greater skill gaps present in college as opposed to pro football than any difference in the two games programming
As fair as that is, the ratings gaps are still the same. A 72 OVR team just doesn't feel as different from a 91 OVR team as much as it does in NCAA and both are EA Games after all. Like I feel I could play Arizona and New England similarly enough with maybe a couple extra drops here and there and maybe a few more missed blocks per game, whereas in NCAA using a team like Akron vs Michigan is a complete night and day experience even if you are playing an equal teams let alone one you massively outclass/massively outclasses you

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »