Home

Lets Discuss Preplay Adjustment Strategies

This is a discussion on Lets Discuss Preplay Adjustment Strategies within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Lets Discuss Preplay Adjustment Strategies

Got the Ea Access last night. After playing a couple games on All Madden it has become clear to me that I am going to have to start game planning if I want to compete against teams with X factors.

I am a pretty solid player, but usually I just call a play and run it. My idea of adjustments are a simple hot route or switching a run play to the other side. Don't even do anything on defense.

Looking to get some tips from people who excel at this part of the game. I am a huge football nut who can list off players, stats, historys, etc like its nothing; but I have never been a big X's and O's guy.

Madden Coaches of operations sports I ask you, what are your secrets?

When do you put a WR in motion?

What do you do on defense?

Etc?

Last edited by TuffJuff; 07-25-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Lets Discuss Preplay Adjustment Strategies

I dont do much on offense. Hot route a guy to slant if the coverage is backed off, if i see single high safety and cbs pressed up i may hot route my best wr to a streak. Ill flip a run play if i see a leverage advantage. Ill slide of max protect with oline if i see a blitz.

On defense i try to do coverage shells but its pointless with no huddle breaks now as the offense can clearly see where you lined up originally. Based on leverage and wr allignment ill adjust zone inside or out to stop certain concepts. Ill play over or under depending on down and distance.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Is the "guess" preplay function gone? Like is it a pass? run left? run right? etc.?

I didn't notice it...
Old 07-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #4
Rookie

StoneWallace17's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggler360
Is the "guess" preplay function gone? Like is it a pass? run left? run right? etc.?

I didn't notice it...
Hit LB/L1 and then it's done via left analog stick
Old 07-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
MVP

If an outside run is called and the defense has more players than blockers to that side, I may motion a receiver or TE to that side to even the hats up.

If a DE is killing me off the edge, I may motion a TE over to try and double team him (unfortunately the game too often decides not to do it but that’s another story).

Hot routes to open parts of the field. Defender is backed off? Call a short quick route. Pressed up? Maybe try something deep. Etc.

Just a few ideas on offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #6
MVP

Oh didn’t see you ask for defense as well. Use your shifts to better place your defenders into gaps. If you see a hole your opponent can run through, he might see it too.

Shading your coverage overtop and underneath completely changes what some coverages do, especially on the outsides. If it’s a long down and distance, I generally put them over the top. Also shade inside on just about every man coverage situation. Whether that helps much or not I’m not sure.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #7
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

On offense, when in doubt of the coverage, put someone in motion.

I prefer level and flood route concepts. Levels can neutralize the LB by forcing him to pick 1 of the 2.

On defense - always audible out of your original play when going against the CPU. (I do this because I believe the CPU will match your initial defense with a play which has a higher chance of success)

I user a safety or CB. I like to take control of a player in a dark blue zone because I feel the logic of these zones are the weakest.

I'll place a DE/OLB in a hard flat to the RB side to defend the CPU tendency to throw to the flat.

I have relatively good success on All-Madden versus the CPU when using Cover 4 Quarters.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 07-25-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #8
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

On offense, on 3rd and long, I like to keep the running back in to block. So, that’s often an instant hot route I perform on most 3rd and long shotgun plays. People may complain about rb pass blocking, but it’s done just fine by me for the past few years. U have to step in and around the pocket sometimes to help your rb pick up the block. But, if u do, it can buy u 2-3 extra seconds to complete a longer route.

That being said, I also change that up during a game and run a screen sometimes, or pick a play that specifically has rb flat route. But, for the most part, I really like the rb blocking, even the D doesn’t end up blitzing.

On D, as someone else mentioned, I tend to shade inside almost all the time on man D. This, however, often does NOT help me out. Lol. As the cpu tends to still complete slants and inside routes.

On 3rd and 10+ on D, I almost always blitz 2 players to apply max pressure. When doing this, I also normally shade over the top to prevent the big play. This will often result in a sack or incomplete.

A particular running play I’ve always like is I Twins toss sweep. It tosses to the TE side, not the twins. But, if I see them in zone, I motion the inside wr to the other side so he can block the cb. Otherwise, the D would have a small advantage.

I don’t tend to use motion to determine man or zone as I hate the fact that u can’t motion and then motion back quickly like they do irl. I wish madden would allow this or add this. I could see myself using it a bit more to confirm man or zone on certain plays.

I also like to run ‘similar’ plays. Often, the 3 plays on any given playcall screen are related. Such as 3 plays that offer the same man in motion, but 2 are pass, and 1 is a run. I like to run these throughout the game to ‘keep the cpu on its toes.’ Lol. I don’t know whether or not it works, but there’s one particular play that I love to run once every game, normally in the 2nd half when trying to finish off an opponent. The wr goes in motion, but the release is quick on his side of the formation. The ball is snapped, he makes a cut block, and the overall run is a toss sweep to that wr side. When this is pulled off correctly, it really looks beautiful. It’s normally a choice u have to make as the rb to utilize your blocks either inside the cb being blocked to the outside, or sweeping all the way outside if the cb is blocked to the inside. I love doing it in the red zone as well. Although, it can be used anywhere and can gain 80+ yards in certain situations.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »