Home

Salary Cap Issues?

This is a discussion on Salary Cap Issues? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2019, 06:16 AM   #1
Rookie

PioneerRaptor's Arena

OVR: 8
Salary Cap Issues?

Not sure if this is a bug, so not posting it currently to the bugs thread.

Anyways, in my online CFM, I'm playing as the Philadelphia Eagles and it says that I have 29.7M in cap space when I go to the salaries tab. However, when Nelson Agholor is up for re-signing, I suddenly don't have any cap room. It defaults to a 4yr/980K contract, which I can't afford.

Is there a way to see the projected cap in future years?

Last edited by PioneerRaptor; 07-28-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Salary Cap Issues?

In the salaries tab, its just player salaries. In the offseason, Madden reserves cap space for your rookies so that might be your issue. Especially if you are picking high or have multiple rd 1 picks

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-28-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
Rookie

ShadyFan25's Arena

Look through your potential cap savings and make some cuts. Or "Restructure" someone's contract by cutting them and resigning them to a cheaper deal.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:12 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Salary Cap Issues?

Are you playing as an owner? If so, check if you have enough available funds (not salary cap space, this value is generated by ticket sales / etc.) to cover the total requested signing bonus. If you don’t, that can negatively affect the contract you are able to offer.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:34 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor
Not sure if this is a bug, so not posting it currently to the bugs thread.

Anyways, in my online CFM, I'm playing as the Philadelphia Eagles and it says that I have 29.7M in cap space when I go to the salaries tab. However, when Nelson Agholor is up for re-signing, I suddenly don't have any cap room. It defaults to a 4yr/980K contract, which I can't afford.

Is there a way to see the projected cap in future years?
I also always play as the Eagles. While it may be really annoying, what I do is go to the salaries page, find the salary figures for the next year (2020), add them all up on my phone 1 at a time, and that’s how I see my salary commitments for future years.

I don’t know for sure, but in M19 I think the salary cap went up by around $5M each year for like 5 years and then stopped (though I could be remembering wrong).

If it’s the same this year then you could add up all your 2020 contracts, add in the dead money for 2020 (I think that’s visible on the salaries page), and add in the rookie reserve, and then subtract that number from the projected salary cap (which might be the same as the current year cap plus around $5M maybe). What’s left over would then hypothetically be pretty close to your available cap space for 2020.

Either way, if the contracts are done accurately then what you’re experiencing isn’t actually that unrealistic. The Eagles are currently about $20mil under the cap, but they have around 35-40 out of 90 current players on the last year of their deal. Despite losing 35-40 contracts after this year, the Eagles will only have a projected $5 million in cap room next year. The remaining players have such a dramatic increase in pay that they are going to have less cap space despite potentially losing 35+ players to free agency. Though that isn’t accounting for any roll-over cap from this year (but the game doesn’t include roll over cap) or any increase in the salary cap (which the game usually does include).

So depending on any dead money penalties you may have gotten from various cuts, the fact that you have no cap room for the 2020 Eagles isn’t entirely unrealistic. Wentz’ new contract ($18.6M 2020 cap hit), Graham’s new deal ($13.4M), Malik Jackson signing ($10M), DeSean Jackson contract ($8.9M), and all the backloaded deals for Cox ($22.8M), Johnson ($13.5M), Jeffrey ($16M), Ertz ($12.2M), Brooks ($11.5M), Jenkins ($10.9M), and Bradham ($9.8M) are taking up a huge part of the 2020 cap space. (Those are their real life 2020 cap hits, in Madden they might not be entirely accurate).

You’ll probably need to wait until the end of the season and then make some cuts to free up cap space to re-sign your departing players. Or make the cuts now and resign early, but then you have to get through the year without those players you cut.

Last edited by Jimbo12308; 07-28-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2019, 01:51 AM   #6
Rookie

PioneerRaptor's Arena

Okay, that's what I was thinking, because I did notice that a lot of players are on their contract years, so I was going to wait until the end of the season when I could let some of them go and then re-sign the ones that I want.

I'll look into the cut and re-sign, though I don't know if I want to risk losing a player who refuses to re-sign for whatever reason after being cut.

Sure would be nice to be able to re-do contracts without cutting people.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:21 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor
Okay, that's what I was thinking, because I did notice that a lot of players are on their contract years, so I was going to wait until the end of the season when I could let some of them go and then re-sign the ones that I want.

I'll look into the cut and re-sign, though I don't know if I want to risk losing a player who refuses to re-sign for whatever reason after being cut.

Sure would be nice to be able to re-do contracts without cutting people.
Remember that if you cut them mid year and then sign them from the free agency pool, it’ll only be for a 1 year contract until the end of the year. If you want to work out a multi-year deal you’ll have to do the re-signing process mid year (but you can’t because you don’t have any cap room unless you start making aggressive cuts now, but that’ll leave you with roster holes) or you can re-sign them at the end of the year right before free agency.

The positive side of re-signing at the end of the year is that you can cut players to make cap room and still have the rest of the offseason to replace those cuts. The negative side of re-signing at the end of the year is that if your negotiation fails, they’ll test free agency where you will then have to compete with the other teams to sign them.

Unless you’ve got some bigger contracts riding the bench that you’re comfortable cutting and saying goodbye to right now, I’d wait until the end of the year to try your resigning.

Remember also to always keep an eye on the release penalty and the “savings” number. If you cut someone with a $9M cap number, but you wind up with $7M in cap penalty and then you replace that person with a $2.5M free agent, then you’ve actually lost cap room ($0.5M).
Old 07-30-2019, 06:48 AM   #8
Rookie

PioneerRaptor's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo12308
Remember that if you cut them mid year and then sign them from the free agency pool, it’ll only be for a 1 year contract until the end of the year. If you want to work out a multi-year deal you’ll have to do the re-signing process mid year (but you can’t because you don’t have any cap room unless you start making aggressive cuts now, but that’ll leave you with roster holes) or you can re-sign them at the end of the year right before free agency.

The positive side of re-signing at the end of the year is that you can cut players to make cap room and still have the rest of the offseason to replace those cuts. The negative side of re-signing at the end of the year is that if your negotiation fails, they’ll test free agency where you will then have to compete with the other teams to sign them.

Unless you’ve got some bigger contracts riding the bench that you’re comfortable cutting and saying goodbye to right now, I’d wait until the end of the year to try your resigning.

Remember also to always keep an eye on the release penalty and the “savings” number. If you cut someone with a $9M cap number, but you wind up with $7M in cap penalty and then you replace that person with a $2.5M free agent, then you’ve actually lost cap room ($0.5M).
Okay, thank you so much for the information. I'm going to wait until the end of the year, right before free agency. Though, I'll scrub the depth chart and see if there's anyone I'm comfortable with cutting right now as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »