Home

Is it possible to have a running game?

This is a discussion on Is it possible to have a running game? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Is it possible to have a running game?

Sliders work really well in adjusting the running game to the difficulty you desire. Practice running with no moves and no turbo. Just practice navigating in space. When you got that down then work in moves and don't turbo until you have everything else working. The blocking is still weird. Blockers love going out for a jog.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #10
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

If you line up in I formation on first down and try to run, they often stuff you. You have to mix in runs in different downs and distances and in different formations. I also found, just like in real life, if you stick with it, by the 4th quarter the 2-3 yard runs turn into 4-5 yard runs as fatigue kicks in.

I did find running harder playing the shorter quarters, but in 10 min quarters (using Josh's sliders) you can usually get something going. Though, sometimes, you just don't.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:01 AM   #11
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5

I find that it is incredibly effective this year, with a caveat. Running backs really matter. There is a huge difference in, say, Zeke as opposed to a mid tier running back.

Offensive line play matters and you need to run to your offensive lines strength as well.

If you would like to see the Wing T in action, you can check out my twitch channel. I stream there..badly. I post highlights on my youtube channel as well!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2019, 02:04 AM   #12
MVP

Rmiok222's Arena

I’ll be honest I’m having the opposite issue. On AP I find myself going for atleast 130+ yards a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-13-2019, 02:17 AM   #13
MVP

Run blocking is absolutely terrible. Rarely do they block in a realistic way. A lot of the time you’re just left at the mercy of what the game allows you to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2019, 11:15 AM   #14
Rookie

Sucram7777's Arena

Another Issue that some may not be aware of, or just instinctively can't break:

Are you trying to Sprint immediately upon the handoff?

Sprinting prematurely causes the defense to shed their blocks and get after you. Its a Mechanical thing.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

EA must be doing something right, I've seen folks complaining that running is way too easy, now this thread is about how it is way too hard.

I think it's really team dependent (who you have versus who you're up against).

If I play as the Dolphins versus the Cowboys I can't run for anything.

If I play as the Cowboys versus the Dolphins running is borderline too easy.

That's just how it should be..

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #16
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I do not have current generation Madden, but every video I have seen over the years, and even a quick search on YouTube before replying to this video confirms that the zone run scheme is just as powerful as ever.

It seems that the animations and lateral movement are even better in the last three years (Madden 18, 19, and 20) than on the Xbox 360 like I play on, and even in Madden 12 and 25, zone running is so powerful and easy that I use 0 run blocking sliders and dominate.

You can learn all about zone blocking by doing some research, but here is a great place to start:

Alex Gibbs, the godfather of the modern zone blocking scheme

The core concept is simple. We want to create double teams up front, and one way that is done is by not blocking the backside defender. Your job is to take the hand off, make your first and possibly secondread quickly based on leverage and hit the hole.

The beauty of the zone run is how it can attack 8 men in the box and has more explosive plays when the defense blitzes, because there is no second level of the defense once you hit your hole and you are lose into the secondary.

Zone run is not unstoppable. Great defensive linemen are taught how to hold onto, disrupt and split double teams. Against a blitz, there are fewer or even no double teams which leaves an elite defensive lineman one on one and can also dominate his man at the point of attack to blow up a play as well.

I also coach the zone run scheme in real life, as well as play offensive line with my team of adults in our amateur league and we lead that league in rushing. It takes a patient and tough set of backs who are willing to grind out 5 yards up the gut most of the game and not try to bounce everything outside. When it is there, it is there, but there are as many big plays to be had by being patient, letting the defense stretch and over contain and pound it north/south as there are big plays from bouncing it to the sidelines.

I grew up with the power run scheme as a kid and in high school, but the zone run scheme won me over as an adult. it is a thing of beauty to watch and to execute.

Madden is not a perfect representation of real football, but the more you know about real football, the more you can bring to your madden game play.

If you want to improve at running the ball, then it helps to learn about how offensive linemen play, which will help you with your reads, as you will understand the blocks better.

Here is an amazing video about how the College Rutgers trained their linemen:

@19:13 - They teach the one on one reach block.
@22:34 - They teach double team work

I hope this helps.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »