Home

Madden 20 Custom Playbook & Game Plan Play Call Guide

This is a discussion on Madden 20 Custom Playbook & Game Plan Play Call Guide within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
Rookie

TX.Leaguer's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 20 Custom Playbook & Game Plan Play Call Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
Like yourself, not only do I enjoy putting together game plans, it makes the game experience much better for me, since the plays I want to call in a given situation are now easily and quickly found. While it takes time and hard work, it ends up saving time in the long run.

Not surprised there isn't a lot of discussion here about both custom playbooks and game plan features. First, at this point in the cycle, most folks are busy voicing their concerns as to what is wrong with the game and what needs fixing. Happens every year and completely understandable. Also, EA touted the addition of RPO's quite heavily this year, but I heard no mention whatsoever of the stability improvements regarding custom playbooks and the fleshing out of both game planning and the play call screen itself. That did strike me as odd, since play calling is extremely important and EA took a major step here in the right direction. Finally, even folks who are interested in these features have been so frustrated over past bugs and limitations that they have simply given up and gone back to calling plays by formation.

To answer your question: First, after you save your gameplan, go back to it and make sure the plays are there as you've planned. Then, when you are calling your game plan, I would not advise you to use the suggestion box. There is a randomness to those playcall windows, which sometimes don't always show all your plays. If you click over to the "RUN" or "Pass" play call windows, they should show up. I tested this on both the BETA and game at launch by making video clips and then going back slowly to cross-check against my gameplan. Let me know how that works out for you. Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely follow your instructions as I was only half way doing it the way you were. I remember now in years past if a change didn’t stick in your playbook, you could delete and re add a play. For some reason that would update the changes. Might have to try it out again too.

I hear you. It makes the game more realistic and infinitely more fun for me when I have my playbook set. It helps me with immersion. I play as a coach and it’s like I have my own playbook no matter what team I’m with, much like real life.

I get people’s frustrations. I try to keep it in perspective. My first madden was 92. I got the following madden every year for Christmas until I was a teen and could buy them myself. I bought madden 09 and think I played 1 game and trashed it. The same things drove me nuts every year and I was done. Didn’t come back until madden 15 and was blown away with the game. There’s always going to be gripes with games and I understand. It’s impossible to cater to everyone. Just on here some will complain something is broken and the next group will say it’s perfect. I take the game for what it is and try to find work arounds for things I feel are lacking.

I guess regardless, the playbook is my first step on getting into any football game. Surely there has to be more like us out there. Maybe this thread can grow and can be turned into an annual must read.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:08 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Edge, I'm a big fan of the work you do for the OS community. Your post is super helpful and is a great resource. I may bite the bullet this year and force myself to go through the rigamarole.

I still fight the wish for them to get this as right as APF 2K8 had it. You could totally manipulate formation and sub-package order, as well as play order within sets. Why that is beyond the Madden team, I can't fathom.

But my "get off my lawn" gripes aside, this is great work.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:16 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Raider
Edge, I'm a big fan of the work you do for the OS community. Your post is super helpful and is a great resource. I may bite the bullet this year and force myself to go through the rigamarole.

I still fight the wish for them to get this as right as APF 2K8 had it. You could totally manipulate formation and sub-package order, as well as play order within sets. Why that is beyond the Madden team, I can't fathom.

But my "get off my lawn" gripes aside, this is great work.
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, believe me I can be a "get off my lawn" guy as well. However, the older we get, we tend to learn to let the emotion of the situation pass and then roll up our sleeves and see what positive steps can be taken.

As previously mentioned, I suggested during the BETA feedback that we be allowed to fully customize our playbooks in exactly the manner that you and many, many folks have voiced. I put together a similar playbook/gameplan post last year and forwarded a lot of great suggestions folks had in that thread, along with PM's received, in the feedback forum. Hopefully, EA will continue to take steps in the right direction to further improve these features. Peace. By the way, will there be a "Black Hole" in Vegas?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2019, 07:36 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 7

Hey Edge, I'm looking at the your PDFs and have a questions in regards to (SHORT YARDAGE = ALL RUNS + PASS ROWS 1-4) and (2 MINUTE + MEDIUM & LONG = ALL RUNS + PASS ROWS 5-8). What does this mean when you talk about the rows? Is this something easily explained and does it correspond to the actual two PDFs? I like your edge plan but want to make sure I understand how to use it correctly. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2019, 06:52 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansagman
Hey Edge, I'm looking at the your PDFs and have a questions in regards to (SHORT YARDAGE = ALL RUNS + PASS ROWS 1-4) and (2 MINUTE + MEDIUM & LONG = ALL RUNS + PASS ROWS 5-8). What does this mean when you talk about the rows? Is this something easily explained and does it correspond to the actual two PDFs? I like your edge plan but want to make sure I understand how to use it correctly. Thanks!
Let me explain more fully. Rows 1 thru 4 are simply the first 4 passing rows in the situational offense play group. Rows 5 thru 8 are the last 4 in that same grouping. I also include all running plays in the above situations, so the play count will equal 30 total.

You do not have to absolutely do it the same way I did. I just included my game plan as a reference guide. My core offensive philosophy, regarding 1st & 2nd down, is to have a variety of run play types along with pass plays that contain routes to attack various coverages. When I hit the redzone, I am thinking more in the line of calling plays that scheme a receiver open, while at the same time spreading the defense out horizontally. Since that is my same feeling on 3rd down situations, I grouped these plays together and copied accordingly.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.Leaguer
Pistol trips left open - zone alert bubble

Both the bubble and run work well. Most defenses will be in a base nickel. As long as the LB isn’t directly in front of your bubble WR, you are good to go. If they are lined up directly on your bubble WR, run the ball. It’s a simple read. One juke after catching the ball and your into the second level of the defense. Don’t forget to press the square/X button with the ball in the air to perform a run after catch animation. Your two blocking receivers give you more than enough cushion to read if/when a DB gets lose so you can juke if necessary. The run option is always open as a check down when the defense is in true man align. I consistently get 3-4 yards on the run. Never thrown an INT with it.

Obviously I love this play. My #2 slot WR is always a speed and agility guy I use for kick returns. This play utilizes those strengths. It’s in pistol, so your WR will get the catch stat and will never count as a run stat (this annoys me on RPO’s).

I also use the mesh dig from the same formation. Good play and you should be completing passes at near 100%. You’ll get a minimum 3 yard pickup if you throw to the check down drags.

The only issue you’ll have with either of these plays is limiting yourself against the computer to keep it realistic by not calling the same plays over and over.
Ahh, thanks for the RAC user-catch tip on bubble screens. On regular screens, my "trick" was to take a step toward the receiver with my quarterback and float the ball to him, so he would catch on the run. On alert plays, that is not possible. By the way, it should be noted that these types of plays will show up under the "Run" play call windows.

Of note; Another good mesh pass play is out of Gun Y-Trips. The Z receiver will motion and drag under the X running a shallow cross. However, in the tight red zone, I often target my slot receiver Cobb on a corner route. Just before he makes his break, I throw a touch pass to the back pylon. If that isn't there, it's a quick read to the X who should now be crossing over to that side. Thanks again for the tips.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #15
Rookie

TX.Leaguer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
Ahh, thanks for the RAC user-catch tip on bubble screens. On regular screens, my "trick" was to take a step toward the receiver with my quarterback and float the ball to him, so he would catch on the run. On alert plays, that is not possible. By the way, it should be noted that these types of plays will show up under the "Run" play call windows.

Of note; Another good mesh pass play is out of Gun Y-Trips. The Z receiver will motion and drag under the X running a shallow cross. However, in the tight red zone, I often target my slot receiver Cobb on a corner route. Just before he makes his break, I throw a touch pass to the back pylon. If that isn't there, it's a quick read to the X who should now be crossing over to that side. Thanks again for the tips.

Awesome! I’ll have to check it out.

It seems I always get stopped inside the 5 on passes short of the goaline and even on longer runs. I have yet to find any true go-to plays inside the 5. Do you have any you recommend, mostly from the 2-3 yard line?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.Leaguer
Awesome! I’ll have to check it out.

It seems I always get stopped inside the 5 on passes short of the goaline and even on longer runs. I have yet to find any true go-to plays inside the 5. Do you have any you recommend, mostly from the 2-3 yard line?
Obviously, the toughest situation to convert. Inside the 5, I am looking to call plays that will hopefully clear a specific receiver open.

I-Slants, while motioning my TE out to the slot works fairly well. I usually throw to the Z (Gallup) as the TE going to the flat often clears this route quickly. If I read zone, or the DB is playing inside leverage, I audible to a fade and throw that to X receiver (Cooper).

Also, Bunch Z spot works pretty well here. The receiver will hesitate just a bit before beginning his route. Rather than wait for him to settle, I drill the ball right on him as soon as he starts running.

I haven't had a lot of success running from goal line personnel, but having Zeke is an advantage here and am able to run the ball fairly well from either base or nickel offenses.

I make an attempt to take shots at the end zone before I find myself in this situation. It's tough inside the 5, as it should be.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »