Home

Inside vs outside shading

This is a discussion on Inside vs outside shading within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2019, 06:40 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Inside vs outside shading

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
You're going to want to play some off man this year because you can't really get away with spamming any one thing. If you press too much eventually you will lose. Playing at least some off coverage is mandatory for no other reason than to protect yourself from giving up big plays.

You also can't let your opponent know that playing off always means zone. Cover 1 Robber looks a hell of a lot like Cover 3 Match in the first seconds post snap, and Cover 1 Hole can look like just Quarters or Palms. This can be taken advantage of, and you can bait throws right to AI defenders with a timely mix up in play calling. This element of disguise is definitely worth exploiting.

Cover 1 is also a good defense against Bubble Alert RPOs which are probably the ones that can cause the most headaches.

It's something to use sparingly, imo.
Yeah, when playing zone, bubble alerts and even some smoke RPO's can go for big yardage, due to the overaggressive nature that zoned defenders often react towards the run possibility. NY Kia had a good video up on this.

Playing offline-wise, when in play zone, I tap LB and flick up on the right stick to select guess pass and that does the trick. Not a whole lotta heip when the CPU runs the ball, but it's better than getting smoked on an RPO.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:50 AM   #18
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_the_Door
It does not lol - don't care what these cats say. I've wrestled with shading for years and no matter how many times I shade inside with a great corner he's toasted on slants playing pressman.

Not only that sometimes I shade inside and my corners play an outside route like no tomorrow and get INTs.

Worthless cosmetic feature with no substance

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Shading alone is not going to guarantee a win in M20, nor does it IRL. Also, if you play man too frequently, especially when always shading in the same manner, you're gonna pay for being predictable. Finally, ratings need to be taken into account as well.

I do not find shading to simply be cosmetic this year. If I don't over use it and pick my spots, it's a game changer for me, especially on 3rd downs.

As far as slants go, try shading CB inside AND underneath and see how that goes. Slants are very difficult to stop, but I've been able to so at times with the proper shade technique.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #19
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Sorry to necro this thread but from my experiments on shading, as of late, when I shade inside, the RCB (CB on left side of screen) seems to shade outside and the LCB (CB on Right side of screen) shades inside.

If I shade outside the opposite happens with the RCB actually stopping slant routes and the LCB giving up inside routes.

So as I see it, though the animations show the CBs moving inside the WR when I select shade inside, and the CBs move outside the WR when I shade outside, the actually effect is: I shade outside (flick right analog stick to the right) its as if the AI is sliding assignments to the right, and shade inside (flick analog stick to the left) the AI is sliding assignments to the left.

So if you have the X and Z WRs both going inside, and you shade inside, the X WR will always have a free route inside, or example.

So this tells the offense how to set routes to beat shade on each side of the field.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:46 AM   #20
MVP

timmg's Arena

OVR: 5

Man i still dont understand shading
Old 07-31-2020, 10:26 AM   #21
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmg
My question is does it actually work
Yep... that is the same thing I was wondering. I don't think it does. I think it is a gimmick so that EA can say "and look at one of the exciting things we do for game play"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2020, 11:07 AM   #22
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

No, shading definitely worked in M20. Was it perfectly alike the NFL? No, room for improvement still, of course. Off coverage in particular needs some love. But shading was the most effective it's probably ever been in Madden's history. I won a Super Bowl on the back of my base man coverage defense (w/ more realistic defensive sliders, definitely makes a diff) in a very tough 32-person league, was shading including mixing up individual DB shades every snap.

From a way-too-early glimpse into beta, I suspect M21 will be pretty similar.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues

Last edited by Aestis; 07-31-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:29 AM   #23
Rookie

brettmickey's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
No, shading definitely worked in M20. Was it perfectly alike the NFL? No, room for improvement still, of course. Off coverage in particular needs some love. But shading was the most effective it's probably ever been in Madden's history. I won a Super Bowl on the back of my base man coverage defense (w/ more realistic defensive sliders, definitely makes a diff) in a very tough 32-person league, was shading including mixing up individual DB shades every snap.

From a way-too-early glimpse into beta, I suspect M21 will be pretty similar.
Playing with the Bills, I specifically try and mix in some inside shading when playing certain zone coverages. It seems to help limit some holes in coverage that the CPU tends to take advantage of. Plus with a secondary that has good zone coverage ratings, I like the tradeoff of taking away easier completions inside and taking my chances on outside throws. If the QB is late throwing outside its my best chance at getting pick-6's.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »