Home

Inside vs outside shading

This is a discussion on Inside vs outside shading within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Inside vs outside shading

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbjay82
I wanna make sure I'm thinking correctly. If you use inside shading with your corners then they play the inside routes but are more vulnerable to outside routes and outside shading means they play the outsode routes but leave more room on the inside? Am I correct or am I thinking backwards?
You've got it right. In my experience, shading works much better when in press man, rather than being in off-man coverage. I've included a link to a post below that may give you some ideas that might help.

Hit the practice field and give it a try. Keep in mind, player ratings matter. Your DB press and man coverage rating vs. opponent WR release and route running are important factors to consider.

Although we have so little time now to make pre-snap adjustments, thankfully this can be done rapidly.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-coverage.html
Old 09-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #10
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
I honestly don't know because I haven't felt a real need to try it out or test it. I've been fine with the results from off coverage without the use of shading.

The offense being able to snap much quicker than ever before means one should really economize on pre-snap defensive adjustments. Anything that isn't strictly necessary may fall by the wayside.

Off man is where I see the most egregious opposite hip turns that result in laughable coverage. Any tips?

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 09-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
Off man is where I see the most egregious opposite hip turns that result in laughable coverage. Any tips?
100% agree with you. Not being a wise-arse, but the best tip I could give would be to simply avoid it. I see no improvement with regards to patches that improved this particular coverage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2019, 11:33 PM   #12
MVP

What edgevoice said. The main use I've found for playing Cover 1 Robber with off coverage is defending RPOs. I want to make it look like I'm still in my Cover 4 pre-snap, so I leave the CBs off in an attempt to bait a blind throw to a bubble screen.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:41 PM   #13
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmg
My question is does it actually work
It does not lol - don't care what these cats say. I've wrestled with shading for years and no matter how many times I shade inside with a great corner he's toasted on slants playing pressman.

Not only that sometimes I shade inside and my corners play an outside route like no tomorrow and get INTs.

Worthless cosmetic feature with no substance

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2019, 11:53 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
Yeah the hip turn issue has been really annoying this year
Old 09-13-2019, 12:09 AM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_the_Door
It does not lol - don't care what these cats say. I've wrestled with shading for years and no matter how many times I shade inside with a great corner he's toasted on slants playing pressman.

Not only that sometimes I shade inside and my corners play an outside route like no tomorrow and get INTs.

Worthless cosmetic feature with no substance

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Press is really effective this year, you just can't spam it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2019, 01:32 AM   #16
MVP

Quote:
What edgevoice said. The main use I've found for playing Cover 1 Robber with off coverage is defending RPOs. I want to make it look like I'm still in my Cover 4 pre-snap, so I leave the CBs off in an attempt to bait a blind throw to a bubble screen.
Quote:
Press is really effective this year, you just can't spam it.
You're going to want to play some off man this year because you can't really get away with spamming any one thing. If you press too much eventually you will lose. Playing at least some off coverage is mandatory for no other reason than to protect yourself from giving up big plays.

You also can't let your opponent know that playing off always means zone. Cover 1 Robber looks a hell of a lot like Cover 3 Match in the first seconds post snap, and Cover 1 Hole can look like just Quarters or Palms. This can be taken advantage of, and you can bait throws right to AI defenders with a timely mix up in play calling. This element of disguise is definitely worth exploiting.

Cover 1 is also a good defense against Bubble Alert RPOs which are probably the ones that can cause the most headaches.

It's something to use sparingly, imo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »