Home

What trigger a development trait upgrade opportunity?

This is a discussion on What trigger a development trait upgrade opportunity? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
What trigger a development trait upgrade opportunity?

Hi, wondering if I could get confirmation on some Dev trait stuff. I know the thresholds you have to get to in order to upgrade your trait from all the well documented things posted.. but what I don't know is there any way to know when you will get those in season opportunities to upgrade your player by hitting in game milestones. I am in a offline league that is part simulation, part live head 2 head. I am assuming there may be times when we simulate that we are missing opportunities to raise the development trait of our players as it looks like the opportunity is not given over a multiple week span. Anyone experiment with this? Are multiple opportunities given for the same player? Thanks in advance for help on this!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Re: What trigger a development trait upgrade opportunity?

I've actually gotten a decent amount of dev scenarios from games that I've simulated recently. More than when I play.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
Rookie

Re: What triggers a development trait upgrade opportunity?

By 'gotten', do you mean you raised a Dev trait by simulating? Or are you saying the XP they earn in simulation is getting you opportunities?

I was playing the other night and before my week 8 game I had two players that I could raise but simulated the week instead and neither player increased in dev trait and I no longer had an 'action bubble' to click on for terms of the dev trait boost in week 9. Prior to that I always played the game to try to get the boost on the week that I first noticed it.

Curious if the CPU actually 'attempts' the dev trait upgrade for the week I simulated?
Old 02-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Ahh i gotcha. I have seen the CPU play well enough to trigger the scenario occurring, but I always play the following game to make sure that I have a chance to earn it if I see one pop up. They're only good for that week, so if you sim and the CPU doesn't get it then it's gone.

The only scenario I've simmed was a frustrated WR scenario and the CPU didn't get my WR the ball enough for him to be happy. Tyreke needed 5 touches or 100 yds and they got him 3 for 48 if I remember right, so they didn't really try.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #5
Rookie

Thanks for the info. So to the remaining question... Is the in game upgrade option predictable? Can I anticipate it by keeping an eye on the players xp bar?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2020, 07:16 PM   #6
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLE3
Thanks for the info. So to the remaining question... Is the in game upgrade option predictable? Can I anticipate it by keeping an eye on the players xp bar?

You mean like for gaining the next xp point to increase 1 OVR? The xp needed changes based on age, OVR, & dev trait. I'm sure someone has mapped it out but i don't pay much attention to it.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:37 PM   #7
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLE3
Hi, wondering if I could get confirmation on some Dev trait stuff. I know the thresholds you have to get to in order to upgrade your trait from all the well documented things posted.. but what I don't know is there any way to know when you will get those in season opportunities to upgrade your player by hitting in game milestones. I am in a offline league that is part simulation, part live head 2 head. I am assuming there may be times when we simulate that we are missing opportunities to raise the development trait of our players as it looks like the opportunity is not given over a multiple week span. Anyone experiment with this? Are multiple opportunities given for the same player? Thanks in advance for help on this!
It's fairly all over the place on all accounts. I did a decent amount of testing just trying to see if there was a trend of what stats could trigger it and for something like receivers there was guys with 3 catches for 32 yards triggering breakout scenarios and then some would trigger with a couple touchdown catches. Same for the defense where sometimes all it would take is a guy getting a TFL to trigger one and it didn't really seem like there was a lot of rhyme or reason to them triggering.

You can definitely trigger them from simming but in my experience it was pretty much impossible to ever actually achieve them from simming. Out of the 70 or 80 that I tracked, I think there was only one time where a player achieved his breakout goal and received a DEV upgrade as a result of simming the game.

I think it's influenced somewhat by stats but is also somewhat random in that even if you have a really good game with a player, it's not anywhere guaranteed to trigger a breakout scenario.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #8
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
It's fairly all over the place on all accounts. I did a decent amount of testing just trying to see if there was a trend of what stats could trigger it and for something like receivers there was guys with 3 catches for 32 yards triggering breakout scenarios and then some would trigger with a couple touchdown catches. Same for the defense where sometimes all it would take is a guy getting a TFL to trigger one and it didn't really seem like there was a lot of rhyme or reason to them triggering.

You can definitely trigger them from simming but in my experience it was pretty much impossible to ever actually achieve them from simming. Out of the 70 or 80 that I tracked, I think there was only one time where a player achieved his breakout goal and received a DEV upgrade as a result of simming the game.

I think it's influenced somewhat by stats but is also somewhat random in that even if you have a really good game with a player, it's not anywhere guaranteed to trigger a breakout scenario.
It definitely seems to be pretty random, I’ve seen them triggered after huge games and after performances that make you go huh? In my online league I use the Eagles and had been trying to build up JJ Arcega-Whiteside. His rookie year I had a couple of big games with him but didn’t have a huge year since I had DeSean Jackson, Alshon Jeffery, Ertz. His second season though I had something like 84 catches and 1300 yards with a good amount of tds and didn’t trigger a single breakout. Even after several 100+ yard and multiple td games I couldn’t get a breakout to get him to superstar. But after a game where I posted something like a 5/65/1 stat line with Nelson Agholor he gets a breakout. After drafting a star dev WR in the 1st round the following season I was also able to get a breakout for him within a few games of his rookie season to get him to superstar. I have since given up on the Arcega-Whiteside experiment and traded him to another team since I don’t have enough targets to go around with how many weapons I have.

I also had a similar experience trying to get a breakout to get Miles Sanders to superstar. I had something like 6 or 7 weeks in a row with 100+ yards and multiple tds and didn’t trigger a single breakout. During that span I watched another user in the league get a breakout for their RB literally after a 5 carry for 8 yards and 1 td performance. It wasn’t until the end of that season after yet another huge performance with multiple tds that I finally got the superstar breakout opportunity for Sanders.

As frustrating as it can be that its seemingly pretty random, it’s a good thing that it is. The way breakouts were handled already promotes force feeding as it is. If the system to determine breakouts was purely stat based it would be a nightmare in online leagues. Plus without it being random it would tend to favor the top teams in the league which just keeps helping the rich get richer instead of promoting the parity you see in the NFL. Although even being seemingly random it does seem to favor certain teams, usually playoff teams in my experience as we have a few teams that have gotten far more breakout opportunities than others. Heck there are a couple of teams that have literally gotten 3 breakout opportunities in 1 game while I’ve only had something like 4-5 the entire cycle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »