Home

Podcast - Behind the Ratings w/ Dustin Smith (@EquipmentGuru)

This is a discussion on Podcast - Behind the Ratings w/ Dustin Smith (@EquipmentGuru) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2020, 08:19 PM   #9
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Podcast - Behind the Ratings w/ Dustin Smith (@EquipmentGuru)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcandlestickpark
Same. Ever since M17 or so, he's been very good about introducing new equipment options at a solid pace. Unfortunately, I didn't notice anything new during the M21 beta, but maybe something will be announced prior to release.

FWIW, he's also the only member of the dev team (to my knowledge, at least) that's still pretty responsive on social media.

Yes to all of this. He is a really cool dude and very responsive on social media. The equipment was insanely stale before he joined and he has really done an awesome job.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:29 PM   #10
MVP

IIRC, he did an interview with Sports Gamers Online last Summer and implied that mouthpieces almost made the final cut for M20. Because of that, I'm surprised they don't appear to be in either version (current gen or next gen) of M21.

Sleeve textures would be a fantastic small fix. But, based on the next-gen screenshot of Brady, that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon.

Hopefully some other small additions or changes can make it into the game this year, either at launch or via title updates. Things like Oakley visor tabs, smaller shoulder pad sizes, shooter sleeves with padding on the elbow, options for towel placement, or some of the new thigh pad designs being worn these days would be welcome.

For a long time, I was one of those people who couldn't have cared less about equipment in Madden, but ever since Dustin started making the in-game options a lot more up-to-date, I've been kind of obsessed with tinkering with equipment in the name of authenticity.
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes
EPL: Brentford FC

RIP San Francisco Deltas | 2017 NASL Champions

Last edited by ripcandlestickpark; 07-22-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:10 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcandlestickpark
IIRC, he did an interview with Sports Gamers Online last Summer and implied that mouthpieces almost made the final cut for M20. Because of that, I'm surprised they don't appear to be in either version (current gen or next gen) of M21.

Sleeve textures would be a fantastic small fix. But, based on the next-gen screenshot of Brady, that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon.

Hopefully some other small additions or changes can make it into the game this year, either at launch or via title updates. Things like Oakley visor tabs, smaller shoulder pad sizes, shooter sleeves with padding on the elbow, options for towel placement, or some of the new thigh pad designs being worn these days would be welcome.

For a long time, I was one of those people who couldn't have cared less about equipment in Madden, but ever since Dustin started making the in-game options a lot more up-to-date, I've been kind of obsessed with tinkering with equipment in the name of authenticity.
Unless we are in for a surprise, this seems par the course with the series. This was the first thing I looked for in the beta. When it was talked about potentially getting patched in last year I assumed that meant it was so close it just had to be in 21. Instead, we still don't have the mouthpieces so I guess they wasted their time for nothing?

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2020, 10:55 PM   #12
EA Sports' Equipment Guru

KANE699's Arena

OVR: 35

I'm tryin for ya'll, I can't always get in what I want but I am steady trying.

Follow me on twitter @Equipment_Guru
Old 07-22-2020, 11:01 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
Any time you can add classic equipment I am happy. I appreciate all of the added classic equipment for M20.

Besides equipment, I would love to see more classic uniform options. Such as full Home and Away styles.

But again, I appreciate everything you have been able to get added into the game.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:35 AM   #14
BRING BACK F2000 HELMET!!

l8knight1's Arena

OVR: 2

Cowboys Retros Kane.....Cowboys retros....and as Teach said, MORE retro unis.

The face mask additions mid season - 20 were phenomenal. I play classic and they got me immersed in game again. Need just a few tweaks, I’m here if you need me .
Old 07-23-2020, 08:56 AM   #15
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Excellent interview. I really believe the next two key equipment additions needs to be mouth guards and shoes. Both items create an individuality to the player. And with shoes being a way to advertise a good cause/charity/social awareness, it would be awesome to see those shoes highlighted.

Maybe even link to player sponsored charities in game.

Wanna sell some more MUT packs? Give a percentage of each purchase to an NFL player sponsored charity. Each week or each pack can support a new charity or cause.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2020, 09:34 PM   #16
MVP

jerwoods's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
i heard in that Youtube interview that sometimes u cant see all the 1 pm games

EA should hook u up with NFL gamepass that way u can watch the games u missed at your pace u can watch full games or the 40 min version of games

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »