Home

Inside vs outside shading

This is a discussion on Inside vs outside shading within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Inside vs outside shading

I wanna make sure I'm thinking correctly. If you use inside shading with your corners then they play the inside routes but are more vulnerable to outside routes and outside shading means they play the outsode routes but leave more room on the inside? Am I correct or am I thinking backwards?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
Rookie

John_2400's Arena

Re: Inside vs outside shading

Yes you are correct!
Old 09-11-2019, 11:20 PM   #3
MVP

timmg's Arena

OVR: 5

My question is does it actually work
Old 09-11-2019, 11:28 PM   #4
MVP

It's going to change the direction your CBs will attempt to reroute the receivers to when they press. If you shade outside then the DB will attempt to force the receiver to release inside and vice versa.

I don't know if it will induce them to cheat in one direction or another if you play off coverage.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:40 AM   #5
MVP

timmg's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
It's going to change the direction your CBs will attempt to reroute the receivers to when they press. If you shade outside then the DB will attempt to force the receiver to release inside and vice versa.
I don't know if it will induce them to cheat in one direction or another if you play off coverage.

So u gotta press for it to work??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2019, 12:58 AM   #6
MVP

I honestly don't know because I haven't felt a real need to try it out or test it. I've been fine with the results from off coverage without the use of shading.

The offense being able to snap much quicker than ever before means one should really economize on pre-snap defensive adjustments. Anything that isn't strictly necessary may fall by the wayside.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #7
MVP

tru11's Arena

its actually both.

inside mean the corner in press will force the receiver to release to the outside and in off coverage the corner will play inside routes much tighter.

on a slant, when in press coverage you will get the animation where the receivers gets hold up at the line of scrimmage trying to cut inside.
on off coverage the corner will jump the inside playing the slant much better.

you got to keep in mind though that if you have it wrong the receiver will be wide open.

if you use a mlb or a safety to cover the middle of the field then shading to the outside could net you some turnover oppurtunities.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
its actually both.

inside mean the corner in press will force the receiver to release to the outside and in off coverage the corner will play inside routes much tighter.

on a slant, when in press coverage you will get the animation where the receivers gets hold up at the line of scrimmage trying to cut inside.
on off coverage the corner will jump the inside playing the slant much better.

you got to keep in mind though that if you have it wrong the receiver will be wide open.

if you use a mlb or a safety to cover the middle of the field then shading to the outside could net you some turnover oppurtunities.
This is really how and why I've been in/out shading; to maximize the use of a robber or hole defender. If you don't have one, it's (at best) a guessing game without much upside.

The other major reason to shade is overtop on press, especially on any kind of zero blitz...this allows for a press bump while also not sacrificing a DB to the animation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »