Home

Madden NFL 21 The Yard Trailer & Plenty of Details About The New Mode

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 21 The Yard Trailer & Plenty of Details About The New Mode within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #41
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 21 The Yard Trailer & Plenty of Details About The New Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyfantastic
i know the timing doesn't marry up but this seems almost reactionary to the 2k arcade deal with the NFL - get something out there before 2k can and dump resources into it to try and kill off 2k before it even comes out
It’s a bold strategy but i don’t see it working, there are so many people who play NBA 2K, they will say oh they are doing a football game I’ll try that. I’m sure most of them won’t even remember 2ks football games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #42
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Alot of it sounds good but I hate, hate, HATE thr scoring system. Why make it that convoluted?
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 08-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #43
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

I've been saying for years that EA should bring back NFL Street, or at least put it in Madden.

But something about this is kinda off.

I don't know if it is the venues, or the dimensions of the field, or the fact that everyone is wearing helmets, or that the player models are so much like Madden's main game...but something about this is a little off. Not sure that this will quite scratch the NFL Street "itch."

But at least it's a start, I guess.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 08-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #44
Rookie

Interesting mode I plan on streaming this a lot should be fun.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #45
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7

At Least they finally got Arm sleeves looking good. Current sleeves in '20 look awful.. Like they are painted on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #46
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
It’s a bold strategy but i don’t see it working, there are so many people who play NBA 2K, they will say oh they are doing a football game I’ll try that. I’m sure most of them won’t even remember 2ks football games
Exactly! 2k is an established and entrenched brand and NBA 2k already features a popular mode from which to model their non-sim football game after.

Also, 2k's advantage here is they will be devoting an entire game's worth of development resources and hardware power to their title as it'll be more than an optional mode.

Should be interesting to see how the two compare. Honestly, it's awesome just to be mentioning competition (and choice) between 2k and EA again if it's only on the arcade football front.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:10 PM   #47
Banned

Personally, I think it matches up with what has been most successful with both their NHL and NBA Live series. Obviously, Live 19 flopped, but it's MyPlayer mode, The One, was perfect.

The issue is, once players are locked into a MyPlayer mode, I think it is harder to lure them back to the other game. These modes rely on mass use to be fun.

EA should be pushing for crossplay for all their sports titles. It creates the largest base of players, and it makes competing with them that much more difficult.

But this has been my argument for the last few years. What has propelled NBA2K to the monster it is, it's MyPlayer and MyPark or whatever it is called. It is the destination for pick-up basketball. No one cares if it is better or worse than any other game. That's where the players are.

If you can make a sport work with 3-6 players on a side, you can make a mode like this work. But football is different than those other sports. Extraordinarily more power is given to one position over the others, and fewer players on the field means more missed tackles will be TDs. Is it actually fun to run a route, but maybe never get the ball because some dude has turned himself into Lamar Jackson?

At this point, they really are just throwing stuff out and seeing how it works, what parts work, and what parts don't. Face of the Franchise was pretty terrible, but it did get them some data.

KO Superstar was the first Madden mode where I just couldn't shut it off. It needs to be more than it is, but I loved its take on Draft Champions, creating a great way to play quick 20 minute games that were fun, with teams that felt personal.

I could see The Yard still being more interesting to me as a 1v1 game than a 6v6 or 7v7 game. What makes The One and World of Chel work is that there is a lot of solo content. You don't have to play online. But the mode does prep you for what to do if you want to try it out.

I would love an NFL version of Court Battles from Live 19. That is a single player mode in which your avatar plays along side whatever stars you "acquire" in various game modes. Play to 21. Play two halves. Play to a 15 point lead. Change threes to 1, but dunks to 3. And then build your team to exploit that. Further, you can force your opponent to use certain types of players, or restrict certain types of players, and inflict other disadvantages that you can build your team to take advantage of.

But then you don't play as that team. That is your AI defender of your court. Instead, you take another team and play on someone else's court, trying to build a team that can deal with the obstacles you are given. The longer you go with no one beating your home court, the more points ranking you higher or whatever.

The entire mode is single player. You never play anyone online directly. You can absolutely target and challenge your friends, though. You can go to their court and beat their team, forcing them to beat yours to to get their court back.

Further, this is not a player lock version. Even though your player is on the team with the other stars, you control it like a normal Play Now game of basketball, controlling the man with the ball.

But it introduces you to creating a player for yourself. You earn XP and such to improve your player. And if you want a look further than court battles, the game has The One paths that are 100% single player.

And while I always suspected, and still do, that this will change, these modes are all free. There are no boosts to buy. There is no way to use cash to buy more of whatever. Ultimate Team remains revenue driven, but for now, EA is not attaching microtransactions to these modes. While that could change with any release, for now, it is also a super player friendly mode, if you like this kind of sports gaming.

And The Yard absolutely looks like it could do what Court Battles did for Live 19, but with football instead.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:31 PM   #48
MVP

Outkizast's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
I won't be playing this out of principle. It's only by standing by my principles and the hope that others will as well that gives us a chance of getting a better franchise mode.
This is exactly why I never touched that story cutscene mode Madden had (or still has?). Standing by my principle that it is NOT more important than Franchise mode. I refuse to touch it. Same with MUT.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »