Home

If Madden wants to be sim then the hit stick must go

This is a discussion on If Madden wants to be sim then the hit stick must go within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: If Madden wants to be sim then the hit stick must go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hshaw810
They could still have the hit stick but make it look like a more natural big hit instead of something out of a cartoon lol
Might be a little of course, but for a game to truly simulate football, they should get rid of "canned" animations. This game poorly demonstrates physics (momentum, weight, velocity, force, acceleration/deceleration, etc...) due to the animations dictating the outcome. Makes for a very unrealistic gameplay all around. I'd be down for the removal of hit stick if you could say hold a meter + aim at the trajectory of where the player launches their body/shoulder when attempting to hit a player, thus making the user responsible for where a player making a legal or illegal hit.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:32 PM   #10
MVP

No one would be able to line that up in real time.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:10 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
I agree completely. That's why I mentioned they could change the animation so it's a big hit but not from an arcade game. When every other aspect of the video game is so good and sim like, the hit sticks really stick out more and more as awful looking and makes me really want to turn them off completely.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Operation Sports mobile app
I feel like the team at Tiburon has never embraced subtle animations that could make the game look more authentic. It has always been about over the top win and losses when it comes to contested catches, hit stick, juke moves, and DL/OL interactions. It's just not in Maddens DNA to be as authentic to the sport as possible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2020, 07:23 PM   #12
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

I think a good middle ground would be making it an ability. Don't have the big hitter ability? Either you miss 100% of the hit sticks or you get a normal tackle animation instead. Or a slightly harder hit. But not those rocking hits that happen. Or you could do the sim route and let physics dictate what happens. When those jarring hits happen, there needs to be physics at play somewhere. If a linebacker standing still can hit stick a runner running full speed then something is off.

#fixmaddenfranchise
Old 08-31-2020, 09:46 PM   #13
MVP

There already is a big hitter ability and without it the AI will not attempt hit sticks on its own.

It was an absolutely enormous consideration in fantasy draft CFMs in last year's game. If you knew who to take you could have 7 or more on the field at once and just set tackling to aggressive and not worry too much about missed tackles.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:55 PM   #14
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

Or......how about actually throwing a flag for hits on defenseless players? But that wouldn't go over well with some in the community.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 08-31-2020, 10:48 PM   #15
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

If Madden wants to be sim then the hit stick must go

I really think they have toned them down this year and all the hit stick animations I’ve seen in 21 are fairly realistic. Hard hitting safeties leading with their shoulders. That’s how players are taught to hit when they have the opportunity. I’m only able to pull off a handful per game. And, when they do go off, it’s because I had a wide open lane to a RB who just received the handoff and I line it up and time it perfectly. I want that to be a hard hit. Those hits happen every single Nfl game.

I totally understand not wanting some of the animations, particularly from 20 and prior games. There were a couple that were honestly just ‘odd’ looking and not very realistic at all. But, the animations I’ve seen in 21 so far have all been realistic and they haven’t been over the top.

As far as throwing a flag for hitting a defenseless wr, this would be a little difficult to pull off, I think. But, I wouldn’t mind if they added it. But, to the people that think the hit stick is ‘unrealistic’ or ‘arcade,’ I don’t think you’ve seen a football game in awhile. Those types of hits happen multiple times in every game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #16
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

I completely agree with the physics part of the hit stick problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
I think a good middle ground would be making it an ability. Don't have the big hitter ability? Either you miss 100% of the hit sticks or you get a normal tackle animation instead. Or a slightly harder hit. But not those rocking hits that happen. Or you could do the sim route and let physics dictate what happens. When those jarring hits happen, there needs to be physics at play somewhere. If a linebacker standing still can hit stick a runner running full speed then something is off.

#fixmaddenfranchise
Regardless of opinion I think most of us can agree that at least 9 out of 10 hit sticks are against defenseless receivers or runners and to be a full simulation I want to be penalized for delivering a crushing blow, shoulder led or not against a wr over the middle.

In real life you will very seldom see a hard hit across the middle on a receiver without a penalty.

For those saying they toned down hit sticks, I just don't see that. I see just as many silly looking hit sticks where the physics make zero sense. A defender must have momentum and be moving as a good pace in order to really get force into a hit. On Madden you can be standing in strafe position and hit stick a wr who catches the ball directly next to you. Which is probably a penalty anyway, but the physics is insanely unrealistic.

Until they add penalties correctly I'd rather it to just go away completely. It truly does take away so much immersion within a game for me personally. If it's the only way to create fumbles then they need to add strip fumble animations and more ideas of causing fumbles instead of hit sticks being 100% the ONLY way a fumble is caused.

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo

Last edited by DarthRambo; 09-01-2020 at 10:49 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »