Home

Franchise Scouting Tips and Traps?

This is a discussion on Franchise Scouting Tips and Traps? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2020, 01:35 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Franchise Scouting Tips and Traps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernWarrior
I'm just going to ignore your posts from now on. Happy holidays!
I thought you wanted to talk about scouting. Sorry I missed the part where you didn't want to hear about people disagreeing with your tips, and were just going to personally attack people who did.

Have a good one.

Last edited by tg88forHOF; 12-03-2020 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #18
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Quote:

I'll post more later. Please give me your tips or advice or disagreements here as well
Just a quick reminder what your last line says. That you want to discuss tips even with disagreements.

I already shared some myself.

The point tg88forHOF was trying to make is that some of these tips you provided, while useful, are more geared toward your particular style of play. Which is of course ok. You buy the game you decide how you want to play. The main point is that, like he said, more of us here tend to want more realism in our franchises. We want to take those 73 overall normal rated lineman and spent a few years focus training them to make them an integral part of our line. We don't want a team stacked with superstars rated on a team rated 90 overall playing teams that are rated 77 overall.

Now don't get me wrong, I love when I have a team that is the best in the league, it is a solid reward for a job well done. We just want our teams to be made up of those high rated players along with those solid vetarans, up and coming rookies and young players, and players who come to the job and work.

You provided tips to the community which is great. It's why we have a community. We can share with each other. But remember not everyone is going to share your view on team building. For a lot of us, this is not our first rodeo with the game and to make it harder for us, we put house rules into effect to not screw over the CPU. I shared one previously. I go into any draft with max 2 first round picks and can trade in for a third. I also tend to only trade picks for picks unless a team is in need of a player I am trading and I will usually see what they accept then go one round lower in a pick they give me.

I gave an example about an 80 rated normal dev safety previously.

Here is another to illustrate that not all normal dev players are useless. This is also something I shared in your above mentioned Giants rebuild thread a while back.

You can draft a 21 year old 72 overall lineman in round 2 or 3 or later if you are lucky and start them from day 1 and focus train them weekly, meaning training that has them as a focus position, and get them 2-4 points a year for the duration of their rookie contract. When you go to resign them to an extension, they will be around 80 overall with normal development and you will get a great deal on them. A 4 or 5 year contract around $4 million a year if you are lucky. Considering they will be 25 and probably go up 1-2 more points a year till they turn 29, that is a solid investment and one that lets you focus elsewhere and resign that first round superstar CB or whatever long term.

I am not trying to attack you, but I think you should heed your own statement from your opening post on this thread. He was simply pointing out that there are those of us that want to build a team realistically. It is how we choose to play the game we paid for. You are of course welcome to do the same how you see fit.

I welcome further discussion about scouting tips and team building tips. My favorite thing to do is build teams and play a season with them 10 years or so in the future. Sometimes I just sim yearly for 30 years to see if I can build a dynasty so I consider myself experienced in this kind of conversation.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 12-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #19
Banned

SouthernWarrior's Arena

Great points Funkycorn! You said things in a much more polite manner.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #20
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

One other thing I have noticed from simming is that players tend to regress less severely once they hit 29 years old. They still regress, just seems slower. This also tends to make players viable for longer. It really gives veterans in their 30s a chance to contribute to a team.

It also has the added benefit of keeping xp sliders closer to 100, with some tweaks across the board, to keep the league closer together talent wise and not have to fuss too much with said xp sliders.

The game gets so much better after year 1 in terms of balance and overall fun, especially for those rebuild nuts like me.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 12-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #21
Pro

Quote:
Great points Funkycorn! You said things in a much more polite manner.
I'm not trying to extend a pissing match...I swear I'm not.

But given we said pretty much exactly the same thing (I even spent a paragraph going out of my way explaining that there was nothing wrong with how you choose to play), is it possible you assigned a "tone" to my post that I didn't intend, and you felt attacked and snapped at it when you didn't mean to?

Because I really, truly was not trying to tear you down. I promise.

It actually really sucks to spend a lot of time going out of the way to put in a bunch of caveats and such so that people don't take things wrong, and have somebody flip out and attack anyway....just to see that same person praise somebody who says the exact same thing.

"Polite" is mighty hard to convey via text...and I'd hate to think this is just somebody trying to avoid admitting they were maybe in a bad mood.

This place is hard enough to have a conversation in without the politeness police suddenly biting faces off, you know?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2020, 12:42 AM   #22
Banned

SouthernWarrior's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg88forHOF
I'm not trying to extend a pissing match...I swear I'm not.

But given we said pretty much exactly the same thing (I even spent a paragraph going out of my way explaining that there was nothing wrong with how you choose to play), is it possible you assigned a "tone" to my post that I didn't intend, and you felt attacked and snapped at it when you didn't mean to?

Because I really, truly was not trying to tear you down. I promise.

It actually really sucks to spend a lot of time going out of the way to put in a bunch of caveats and such so that people don't take things wrong, and have somebody flip out and attack anyway....just to see that same person praise somebody who says the exact same thing.

"Polite" is mighty hard to convey via text...and I'd hate to think this is just somebody trying to avoid admitting they were maybe in a bad mood.

This place is hard enough to have a conversation in without the politeness police suddenly biting faces off, you know?

the posts read very differently but if that wasn't your intention then ok
Old 12-04-2020, 12:57 AM   #23
Banned

SouthernWarrior's Arena

did 4 seasons of simming and some new thoughts

- after looking at the draft recap, id almost say 100% (but maybe closer to 85%) of people who had a storyline w an actual story behind it (not just "This person fell in my rankings" from Todd McShay) had hidden development.

- someone mentioned they start w Oline and Dline and it took me till like the 3rd season to really start working that. going to restart and draft Line people around from the beginning so ideally have a very young workable line to develop by year 2. particularly on the Oline.

- Bizzare thing happened when in year 3 my offense was rated 5th, and defense was 26th (lost in wildcard round) and kept the EXACT SAME TEAM and somehow the offense fell to 27th. This is all w young players developing and an offense rated 85 and defense 84. Zero clue what happened (only won 5 games).

- Daniel Jones also went from an MVP season (and bumped up to star), to a pretty strong season where he won QB of the NFC, to a relatively bad season where he finished 8th in voting. Zero offensive changes, players only developed but coincidentally it was in his contract year. He wanted 133 million and was already 27.

- In future simulations, I am going to ASAP get a QB who is ideally 21 or 22, DJ in multiple simulations just cannot win playoff games. If there is no one, just tank for year 2 as well and develop as many linemen as possible.

- WR, CB, Safety, and DT feel fairly interchangeable in terms of depth in the draft. Even with Darius Slayton at superstar development his stats were still decent but not amazing.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:21 PM   #24
Banned

SouthernWarrior's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
One other thing I have noticed from simming is that players tend to regress less severely once they hit 29 years old. They still regress, just seems slower. This also tends to make players viable for longer. It really gives veterans in their 30s a chance to contribute to a team.

It also has the added benefit of keeping xp sliders closer to 100, with some tweaks across the board, to keep the league closer together talent wise and not have to fuss too much with said xp sliders.

The game gets so much better after year 1 in terms of balance and overall fun, especially for those rebuild nuts like me.
That's fantastic to know. I'll probably sign guys when they hit 25-26 to contracts then going till ... maybe 30-31 if they're 90+ guys. The issue is always players being 29-30 in the game and wanting 4 years deal.. better to just keep them till 31 or so and then let them leave

Just was thinking about your other point of developing normal guys w focus training.. the one issue I have with that is they limit you to only 3 slots a year. And if I'm constantly trading picks back I almost always have 2 or so drafted guys every year that Im starting rookie years and need to develop. So take the Giants, there are probably 3-4 young guys on the Oline who need to develop and I can probably only fill 1 Oline slot a year (assuming I also develop the young QB , and a DE or CB)

May consider focus training 2 o-line a year and either a DE or QB, since there is so much depth at CB.

---

Also is there any way in simulation to split carries less evenly? Whoever my #2 RB is is always taking about 20% of the carries from Saquon including a bunch of goal-line TD's despite Saquon being the 3dHB and Power HB.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »