Home

Slowing down CPU passing game

This is a discussion on Slowing down CPU passing game within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2020, 11:35 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 8
Slowing down CPU passing game

I'm playing with the Niners on All-pro default sliders. For the life of me, I can't stop the CPU passing game. I rank dead last against the pass and am giving up over 450 yards a game.

I call a mix of man and zone coverages and neither has success. The CPU is routinely completing passes and beating my defenders. I get burnt in man to man coverages all the time with guys beating Sherman for big gains. When I switch it up to zone, receivers just constantly find the holes in my zone coverages. Guys don't seem to cover anyone in their zone.

I never get any turnovers either as my guys are never in good enough coverage to get an INT. If I'm lucky, they might knock the ball away twice a game.

Every game just turns into a shootout with me hoping that the other team just screws up somehow so they don't score a TD.

It is starting to make the game unfun. I'd like to feel as if I can play defense and make an actual stop on that side of the ball. Right now defense just feels like something I have to do until I get the ball back. I don't feel like I can control what is happening defensively.

Any suggestions on how to make it so I can actually play defense somewhat effectively would be great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2020, 11:40 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Slowing down CPU passing game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewto16
I'm playing with the Niners on All-pro default sliders. For the life of me, I can't stop the CPU passing game. I rank dead last against the pass and am giving up over 450 yards a game.

I call a mix of man and zone coverages and neither has success. The CPU is routinely completing passes and beating my defenders. I get burnt in man to man coverages all the time with guys beating Sherman for big gains. When I switch it up to zone, receivers just constantly find the holes in my zone coverages. Guys don't seem to cover anyone in their zone.

I never get any turnovers either as my guys are never in good enough coverage to get an INT. If I'm lucky, they might knock the ball away twice a game.

Every game just turns into a shootout with me hoping that the other team just screws up somehow so they don't score a TD.

It is starting to make the game unfun. I'd like to feel as if I can play defense and make an actual stop on that side of the ball. Right now defense just feels like something I have to do until I get the ball back. I don't feel like I can control what is happening defensively.

Any suggestions on how to make it so I can actually play defense somewhat effectively would be great.
Me and my bro each played several games against the a.i. and every game is as you said, a shootout until maybe they mess up here and there, most qbs are hitting 80-90% while my defenders stand and watch.

Last edited by oakevin; 12-11-2020 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:39 AM   #3
Just started!

OVR: 0

I have the same issue of slowing the A.I. down in the passing game (All Pro) but I feel this is just since the latest patch.
I'm currently in the third season of my Cardinals franchise. Previous two seasons I finished in the top 3 Defenses/Yards per Game.
Started the third season 8-0 with Isaiah Simmons leading the league in Interception with 7 picks.
After that, the latest patch came out. I have a 1-2 record in the last 3 games, with no interceptions and the A.I. putting up at least 300 Yards passing per game against me. Deshaun Watson ripped me for a whopping 457 Yards and 4 Touchdowns.
Nothing I previously did on Defense seems to work. Cant stop anything, no matter if Zone, Man or Mixed Coverage.
When the A.I is not tearing my Defense apart with deep bombs, they instantly have a checkdown open. A.I. finishes the games with 90% completions at least in all 3 games.

It's not even fun amymore to play Defense right now.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:57 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOR493
I have the same issue of slowing the A.I. down in the passing game (All Pro) but I feel this is just since the latest patch.
I'm currently in the third season of my Cardinals franchise. Previous two seasons I finished in the top 3 Defenses/Yards per Game.
Started the third season 8-0 with Isaiah Simmons leading the league in Interception with 7 picks.
After that, the latest patch came out. I have a 1-2 record in the last 3 games, with no interceptions and the A.I. putting up at least 300 Yards passing per game against me. Deshaun Watson ripped me for a whopping 457 Yards and 4 Touchdowns.
Nothing I previously did on Defense seems to work. Cant stop anything, no matter if Zone, Man or Mixed Coverage.
When the A.I is not tearing my Defense apart with deep bombs, they instantly have a checkdown open. A.I. finishes the games with 90% completions at least in all 3 games.

It's not even fun anymore to play Defense right now.
raise the pass reaction time. and lower the speed threshold. thats what I had to do. now the AI completes anywhere between 60%-70% of passes. every once in a while Ill get a game where the QB completes about 80% (still frustrating). but reaction time really helps.

also use the defensive assist features make sure they are on.

the defense never reacted to the pass game the way it should. for me it's not even that they are completing passes, its more so how open these receivers are.

the defense is just slow to react, and out of position.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:17 AM   #5
Rookie

XxStew21xx's Arena

I've got the pass defense sliders at 90 right now.
Not perfect but better. And make sure the cpu pass blocking is at 35. At 50 you generate very little pressure when the cpu can get pressure very easily. Makes it even.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
raise the pass reaction time. and lower the speed threshold. thats what I had to do. now the AI completes anywhere between 60%-70% of passes. every once in a while Ill get a game where the QB completes about 80% (still frustrating). but reaction time really helps.

also use the defensive assist features make sure they are on.

the defense never reacted to the pass game the way it should. for me it's not even that they are completing passes, its more so how open these receivers are.

the defense is just slow to react, and out of position.
Thank you, I will test your settings later today. I hope it will help.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:09 AM   #7
Pro

Cory Levy's Arena

One tip I would give is to not be afraid of sending pressure. Madden is weird in that you're essentially playing against a robot at the QB position so it's never going to be a reflection of real life much.

Sending pressure means you're getting to the QB quicker and either getting sacks or disrupting his throwing ability. Getting pressure means you'll see more inaccurate passes and complete missing sails.

If you sit back and only rush 3 or 4, the computer will eat you alive unless it's a very, very poorly rated QB or you max out the sliders in an almost unfair manner to tilt the deck in your favor. Sending pressure is a legitimate 'football sense' move that will help alter the CPU's passing game.

I think the risk-reward between sending additional rushers and the possibility that you leave a guy wide open is worth it more than sitting back and letting the computer pick you apart.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 19

***this is on Next-Gen

Something few of any probably are doing...

Turn off the SS/X-Factor Abilities limitations and edit players (not all) with SS Dev Trait so more of the “New Coverage Abilities” will be used during gameplay.

I like that the different coverage aspects/areas adds a little more to Player Differentiation and most importantly, allow me to edit and minimize some of the easy AI/User passing aspects (ie Slants/TE Outs).

Outside of the X’s on the field (doesn’t bother me), I really like the impact that these specific coverage Abilities have on the game.

Ability triggering is at 70 & 85 OVR’s

Something different to consider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1B7D4EB-ECE5-48D6-8798-DE12BF626C9D.jpg (633.4 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg 945298A1-2A16-4220-9816-3510A01ECECB.jpg (641.3 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by khaliib; 12-11-2020 at 01:11 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »