Home

Free agency logic

This is a discussion on Free agency logic within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2021, 08:21 AM   #9
2022 Clark Cup Champions!

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Free agency logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhawk03
Rightfully so there has been a lot of talk about draft logic. No need to rehash that in this thread.

I simmed through several seasons just to mess around and see what happens. See what generated players look like etc. It seems to me there are some major flaws in free agency logic as well. The biggest one I saw was the Browns letting Baker Mayfield walk in free agency after just winning the Super Bowl. C’mon man!!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
This is a touchy subject.

Let's look over two scenarios that we NEVER thought would have happened, but did:

-Manning leaving the colts
-Brady leaving the Pat's

I remember over roughly 3-4 years in Madden that these two would end up in the free agent pool, and people lost their minds.

Point short, anything can happen. You have to investigate, salary issues, age, up and coming back-up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Operation Sports mobile app
MLB - Toronto Blue Jays 56-45
NHL - Colorado Avalanche 2022 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
United States Hockey League - Sioux City Musketeers
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Old 01-10-2021, 09:18 AM   #10
Pro

Cory Levy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
You have to remember Franchises are very dynamic via multiple mechanisms.
It’s not trying to mimic real life 100%, but present each User with their own unique Franchise experience.

Anything can happen, that’s the theme.

Something different will happen to Baker in another gamers Franchise, doesn’t necessarily mean the Logic is broke and TBH I believe Franchise gamers would hate to know something would happen exactly 100% of the time with no deviation.
This is awful excuse making for Madden, IMO. 'Anything can happen' shouldn't mean a team doesn't sign their franchise QB after they win the Super Bowl. That's just bad programming and bad AI logic.

'Anything can happen' should represent teams acting logically but separate from the real world. As the Dallas Cowboys I just traded WR Michael Gallup, a good WR with nice stats at a position of which I had an abundance of talent, for S Juan Thornhill, a player that in only his second year of play is having his playing time reduced (possibly because of injury, possibly because of other things). The Chiefs needed WR help, I needed secondary help so both teams benefited and it logically made sense.

That's something that should be happening in Madden that would fall under 'anything can happen' but it still makes logical sense.

Franchise players don't want to know something will happen 100% of the time with no deviation, they just want the computer to act logically. In the case of not signing their Super Bowl winning QB, that's the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant C1a55ic

Let's look over two scenarios that we NEVER thought would have happened, but did:

-Brady leaving the Pat's

I remember over roughly 3-4 years in Madden that these two would end up in the free agent pool, and people lost their minds.

Point short, anything can happen. You have to investigate, salary issues, age, up and coming back-up.

Those are 2 instances where players on the very back end of their careers (one who didn't play at all in his last season with the Colts which led to them being able to draft a generational type talent at the QB position and the other was a player in his 40s for a team that maybe knew it wasn't going to compete in 2020). Those are very unique circumstances in which those QBs moved cities and maintained a high level of play that far into their careers.

What we're talking about is a young QB who just won the Super Bowl not being re-signed. It's badly programmed AI. Unless Baker was dragged kicking and screaming for multiple years, there's no way the Browns would let him go.

Won't talk for the OP's situation but I've seen Mayfield in the free agent pool multiple times already and the main culprit is probably the salary cap and the AI's inability to cope with it. It's so broken in Madden that you get five years into a franchise and players rated in the 90s go unsigned in Free Agency so they get a revolving door of one year deals as soon as the CPU can sign them in the Preseason.

The salary cap and team management is in such a need of a redesign in Madden it isn't even funny. The AI has relatively zero ability to plan things in advance. I would bet that the Browns re-sign a lot of their own players to bloated contracts the year before they have to re-sign Baker that leaves them with not enough cap space to sign Mayfield.

Madden gives you little incentive to even play past the first year or two in CFM though so I can see why they don't really care about how teams manage themselves in the future of the mode.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:23 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant C1a55ic

-Brady leaving the Pat's

Very different situation with aging qbs at end of career.

Also, if anything can happen argument applies to FA logic then why does everyone lose their minds about draft logic? It’s the same concept. Some semblance of reality vs “anything can happen”.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhawk03
Can’t remember any other specific examples off top of my head. Don’t know all the specifics. But when’s the last time a team let a defending super bowl champ qb leave in FA? And no, Foles doesn’t count .

“Provide me a recent example of something!”

“Oh and the most recent example doesnt count”
Old 01-10-2021, 09:33 AM   #13
Pro

Cory Levy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
“Provide me a recent example of something!”

“Oh and the most recent example doesnt count”

They won the Super Bowl with their backup QB when their starting, franchise QB (who had looked like an MVP caliber player) was injured.

No one expected the Eagles to dump Wentz and retain Foles. Nor should they have.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:42 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Levy
This is awful excuse making for Madden, IMO. 'Anything can happen' shouldn't mean a team doesn't sign their franchise QB after they win the Super Bowl. That's just bad programming and bad AI logic.

'Anything can happen' should represent teams acting logically but separate from the real world. As the Dallas Cowboys I just traded WR Michael Gallup, a good WR with nice stats at a position of which I had an abundance of talent, for S Juan Thornhill, a player that in only his second year of play is having his playing time reduced (possibly because of injury, possibly because of other things). The Chiefs needed WR help, I needed secondary help so both teams benefited and it logically made sense.

That's something that should be happening in Madden that would fall under 'anything can happen' but it still makes logical sense.

Franchise players don't want to know something will happen 100% of the time with no deviation, they just want the computer to act logically. In the case of not signing their Super Bowl winning QB, that's the opposite.

Those are 2 instances where players on the very back end of their careers (one who didn't play at all in his last season with the Colts which led to them being able to draft a generational type talent at the QB position and the other was a player in his 40s for a team that maybe knew it wasn't going to compete in 2020). Those are very unique circumstances in which those QBs moved cities and maintained a high level of play that far into their careers.

What we're talking about is a young QB who just won the Super Bowl not being re-signed. It's badly programmed AI. Unless Baker was dragged kicking and screaming for multiple years, there's no way the Browns would let him go.

Won't talk for the OP's situation but I've seen Mayfield in the free agent pool multiple times already and the main culprit is probably the salary cap and the AI's inability to cope with it. It's so broken in Madden that you get five years into a franchise and players rated in the 90s go unsigned in Free Agency so they get a revolving door of one year deals as soon as the CPU can sign them in the Preseason.

The salary cap and team management is in such a need of a redesign in Madden it isn't even funny. The AI has relatively zero ability to plan things in advance. I would bet that the Browns re-sign a lot of their own players to bloated contracts the year before they have to re-sign Baker that leaves them with not enough cap space to sign Mayfield.

Madden gives you little incentive to even play past the first year or two in CFM though so I can see why they don't really care about how teams manage themselves in the future of the mode.
Listen you and others have been down this road with Madden and the notation of your disapproval of the game, yet the same displeasured keeps coming back year after year.

I want “my” Franchise experience to present some challenges/differences whether they would happen in real life or not, versus trying to adhere to some real life ideology and/or script.

I’m not interested in falling into the Madden Realism venting pit, so i don’t apply ideological blanket perspectives to Madden or any sports game TBH.

It’s 1000% Fantasy, so to me the onus of “Dynamicity” doesn’t fall upon the game to deliver, but the User for the sake of their own experience.

Nonetheless I was just repeating what Rex noted some years back about Franchise and the IRL contrast topic.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Listen you and others have been down this road with Madden and the notation of your disapproval of the game, yet the same displeasured keeps coming back year after year.

I want “my” Franchise experience to present some challenges/differences whether they would happen in real life or not, versus trying to adhere to some real life ideology and/or script.

I’m not interested in falling into the Madden Realism venting pit, so i don’t apply ideological blanket perspectives to Madden or any sports game TBH.

It’s 1000% Fantasy, so to me the onus of “Dynamicity” doesn’t fall upon the game to deliver, but the User for the sake of their own experience.

Nonetheless I was just repeating what Rex noted some years back about Franchise and the IRL contrast topic.

Listen I did not mean to ruffle feathers and get people all worked up. I’ve been away from madden and video games all together for about 7 years until this year. I was just trying to start a discussion about something I noticed when simming through some seasons.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2021, 11:49 AM   #16
Rookie

😂😂😂😂theres really people in here defending this logic. Theres no defending madden logic. I dont know how many times i seen over years franchises draft a qb in the first rd with clear franchise qb’s. It’s ridiculous stop defending madden bs

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »