Home

Would You Recommend Waiting For 360?

This is a discussion on Would You Recommend Waiting For 360? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2005, 08:54 AM   #41
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Would You Recommend Waiting For 360?

How is it possible that the 360 version could even have the same engine? Its a brand new system that is not backwards compatible. The PS2 had a new engine when it came out and I expect the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2005, 11:01 AM   #42
MVP

OVR: 7

My take is that the gameplay will be a mix of current and next gen. I dont see them completely scrapping the entire gameplay just to start over. There are many elements of this generation which are fine, so why wouldnt they just borrow or hold it over?

If the gameplay doesnt at least feel 40% different, it will be a disappointment for me. I havent bought madden in 4 years. I would like to see it be a mix of madden and the NFL2k series, but add in tons of next gen. stuff. I hope they have added literally 2-3Xs more animations. I would like to see something different and cool about every other play (the way real football is). Simply put, blow my mind with the amount of animations and nuances youve added.

Another element that must be addressed is the off the field stuff. They have the NFL license, and they have the ESPN license. They MUST have halftime and end of game Highlights, they must find better ways to use their licenses...either with overlays, replays, audio, old footage, analysis, etc. The game should feel like a broadcast.

I see this November's edition being great visually and exciting cause its new. But after a while, its flaws will show and the EA product development process (ie adding "new" features year after year) will be evident. What I mean by that is that they will explain missing features by saying that its year 1 and that they have a 4 year plan (ala MVP baseball).

Does this mean it will suck? Who knows...it will probably be cool and fun cause its new. I will buy it...but Im crossing my fingers that EA will really step up this year.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:31 AM   #43
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsman27
Heres what you should do: (keep in mind I am an objective gamer who has played both 2k5 and Madden 06 extensively)

1) Buy NFL 2k5 if you don't already have it (7.99 used at most)

2) Buy Action Replay ($30).

3) Dowload noplace's 2k6 rosters (takes 2min tops- rosters are 95% accurate up to the last few days)

4) Play franchise mode or online for countless hours of fun. (All for less than Madden's $50 price tag!)

Only when you secure your very own XBOX 360 would I even consider picking up Madden 06.

Your welcome. BTW you can keep the $12 you saved.

NFL 2Ks Franchise mode was HORRIBLE,that is the only reason why i bought madden last year
Old 08-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #44
MVP

OVR: 14

I'm no programmer but what would be so wrong if they used the same engine with alot of next gen upgrades and tweaks. Most of the gripes people have about the current engine can be resolved with increased animations, ie mario running and tackling. If you take the current engine and increase the number of animations 10 fold add better physics and collision detection then on top of that increase polygons, resolution and texture/bump mapping, I doubt anyone would be able to tell it's the same engine underneath it all.

I mean look at all the first person shooter engines that are virtually unchanged since their inception, but improved physics, resolution, texture/bump mapping and higher poly counts make them feel brand new. I have no doubts the next gen football games will be mindblowing. The xbox 360 and PS3 are capable of delivering everything mentioned above so why would EA not implement them. I'm sure these guys to have some semblance of pride, especially for a next gen product, now the yearly updates may not be that impressive but the jump from one gen to the next should.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:11 PM   #45
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

You all realize that you're arguing over assumptions, right?

But where are these vids you all speak of? The only vid I've seen is the commerical with the Eagle vs. Giants, and we all know those weren't actual graphics. Are there more that I haven't seen?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2005, 03:43 PM   #46
MVP

kennyacid's Arena

OVR: 30

I would just buy the madden right now, and when the 360 come out just trade it in to get the 360 version. That way u can get ur fix. As for me, Im just gonna stick with the ps2 version until ps3 come out, i was never a fan of microsoft. ctrl+alt+delete
Old 08-16-2005, 03:46 PM   #47
Pro

Drag66's Arena

OVR: 9

I bought Madden '06 and really like it. The only thing I am wondering about is if you can continue your franchise on the XBOX 360 (from the original XBOX). It will suck finishing 5 seasons and then having to start over again when buying the 360 version. Regardless, I will buy the 360 version as well.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:47 PM   #48
Banned

OVR: 8

I say buy it and then sell it on ebay when the 360 version comes out....unless of course you really are tight on cash and reselling mdden for like half the price wont be good enough.

So far I think it is a good game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »