Home

I played it

This is a discussion on I played it within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #17
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18
Re: I played it

Don't know if he is lying or not and don't care, I'll be playing in a couple weeks anyways, nothing to get your panties in a bunch about one way or the other. 3 months from now we will all be either playing it or complaining about how expensive the 360 is.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:54 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Guys,

We're going to assume he's telling the truth. Let's not make this thread be about "Is he telling the truth or not?". Instead, let's keep this thread about his experience playing the game.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:23 PM   #19
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Many more of us will have our own impressions when the game starts coming in on the 16th. My EB has a 360 kiosk and GameStop is getting one soon. I played Call of Duty today and the employees had just received a couple games that they could sell today. They will be able to sell Madden when they get it because they don't want enormous lines for the midnight release. And when they get Madden 360, and have a kiosk, guess what we'll play Madden.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 11-09-2005, 04:33 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 7

First, hats off to the mods here at OS.

Second, no Austin trip for me after all. Thank GOD. This means hours upon hours of Civilization 4 over the next few days instead of hours upon hours of pointless work

I'm pretty long winded at times but i'll try my best to refrain as best as possible.

I wasnt even going to post this to begin with because I was worried about being ripped to shreds by the naysayers and also a tad worried about opening my big mouth when maybe I shouldnt be. I wasnt asked not to say anything and since its so close to launch I figure big deal.

You have to understand that I was playing this kiosk in a clients office and was trying not to act like a little kid when in reality I was feeling like a 5 year old at Toys r Us at Christmas time.

Honestly, I have hated Madden over the last few years and have been a HUGE 2K fan. As you can imagine, my heart sank like a stone when the whole NFL/EA deal went down. I felt like that was it for football gaming for at least the next 5 years and was truly sad. While I still don't like the deal and think it is totally not fair for the gaming public I will say that after my brief encounter with the next gen Madden I will NOT miss 2k.

It is THAT awesome.

Don't get me wrong. There were a few minor hiccups when the camera went from field to play calling screen but that really isnt that big of a deal. The only other minor gripe I have (and I do stress MINOR) is that it runs at 30 fps and you CAN tell the difference. MINOR. I'm sure next year we will see 60 fps.

The running game reminded me of 2K and to me thats a good thing. It just felt right for the first time in a Madden series.

The passing felt different from current gen but I don't know how to describe it really. It just felt better. More realistic. Timing, execution.

The lighting blew me away. The game was a late afternoon game and everything had a yellowish glow about it and I noticed the clouds moving overhead and as it got more cloudy the lights in the stadium came on and you really had the feeling of bad weather coming in. When it started raining it slowing got worse and was soon pouring down. I wish that it would have let me continue to see the field effects but alas it was not to be.

The home town announcer was REALLY great. Much better than Madden/Michaels. I was really surprised at how well he called the game and his enthusiasm for the home team. The cut scenes of the sidelines are cool and like I said earlier if they ad in the ESPN TV style and mix it with what they have now it will be fantastic!

It was funny because the marketing director at this point was walking out of his office and said "knock yourself out" and I was thinking too late

God I wanted soooooo bad to play it again but I had to try and remain as professional as possible and walk away from it. I was there to drop off a mailer I am working on for them so I felt that I needed to leave.

I cannot stress enough how awesome this game is. This is coming from a dedicated 2K fan whom at one point HATED EA and swore never to play Madden again. Well, so much for that. This has me more pumped than the time I played the very first Madden when I ran out and bought a Genesis jsut for that game.

Madden has been truly reborn and I for one couldnt be more relieved and excited for what the future of sports gaming has for us.

Two small notes. It really struck me as odd that the kiosk was an EA kiosk complete with EA's logo on each side and HUGE up above the screen. This kiosk is finished and looks like it should be out at retailers soon but the marketing director said that EA is doing this spring/summer and also why would they bring HIM a kiosk??

I didnt ask. I just wanna go back. Maybe break in tonite?! naaaahh

Also, they had a hi rez video of FIFA and i'll be damned if that wasnt the most realistic looking game I have ever seen. Absolutely AMAZING to watch it in action. It was game play too. Not a cut scene or pre rendered.

They also had vids for other games including NFS, Live and Godfather. There was a button for *coming soon* but I completely forgot to check it out.

12 more day fellas and you'll be playing next gen Madden. AND no 5 minute limit either
Old 11-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #21
MVP

reverend_heat's Arena

OVR: 6

Ofdman, thanks for taking the time and posting your impressions. I am more pumped for this game because of your post!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

RubenDouglas's Arena

OVR: 28

hmm.. is there any chance that the graphics and lighting can wear off, and the game become the same 'o'l'?

i just may have to wait a week or two for the real impressions to come in
Old 11-09-2005, 05:10 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2

thanks for the impressions. I was losing hope with Madden but now you have me hoping again. It's part of the bundle I got at Toys r us and so I'm definitely looking forward to popping this game in now.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #24
All Star

OVR: 21

Thx for the impressions. I believe what he's saying, just really hard to believe the game is *soooo* good now, despite even EA's own hype vids being weak, and the gameplay vids that several places have released being weak also. Not sure what could've transformed the game over the past week to make the game as awesome as you're saying it is. I know you didn't play it long, but you'd think there might be something you might've found in the least questionable given everything you praised. Oh well, we'll be able to see first-hand when the game outlets get their copies in and we can see it up close n' personal ourselves. I had written the game off, but I'll have an eye out to see how it looks/plays next week.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »