Home

From an admitted 2k/APF guy..

This is a discussion on From an admitted 2k/APF guy.. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: From an admitted 2k/APF guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Maybe, but i'm not sure that's true. According to the Phil Holt interview in the new Game Informer the EA Tiburon team working on Madden is about 35 people strong with another 15 people as far as support personnel totaling 50. I would have a hard time believing there are only 5 people working on the 2K football series. It's not like EA has hundreds of people working on Madden every year, but that seems to be the perception among many.

I gave APF a shot soley based upon the last gen performance of the 2K series, or reputation alone. I was not happy when it was announced there would be no franchise mode since that's pretty much all I play in sports games. Personally I don't care about things like the "crib", 1st person football, and all that other stuff. But I have to have franchise mode. And like I said, with all of 2K's advertising about "the resurrection of video game football" I was really disappointed to find it was just a bare-bones port. I'd already played the hell out of 2K5 and didn't want the same experience for another console cycle so I walked. And to be honest, I got more enjoyment out of NCAA 07 than I did out of APF both on the field and off the field. That's just me. I don't claim to be the benchmark for what constitutes a valid football gaming experience. I just know I had fun with NCAA 07, and isn't that the whole point to begin with? These are video games, nothing to be taken so seriously as many do on these forums. To hear some of these guys talk it sounds like EA raped their mothers or something and they have so much pent up hatred it's sometimes hard to believe they're actually just talking about a video game (not saying you're one of them or anything)..
NCAA 07 last gen or this gen?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #26
umd
MVP

umd's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Maybe, but i'm not sure that's true. According to the Phil Holt interview in the new Game Informer the EA Tiburon team working on Madden is about 35 people strong with another 15 people as far as support personnel totaling 50. I would have a hard time believing there are only 5 people working on the 2K football series. It's not like EA has hundreds of people working on Madden every year, but that seems to be the perception among many.
You've also said that Madden has been built from the "ground up" since the move to 360 and PS3, when that is hardly the case.

APF was definitely a cleaned up version of 2k5 w/ a stripped down feature list. Which many would argue is the same as Madden, considering it's been running the same engine since PS2 and xbox as well and is missing or has broken (Turnovers, Franchise) elements in its feature set.

Neither game has moved very far in 3-4 years with or without the license.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:

I gave APF a shot soley based upon the last gen performance of the 2K series, or reputation alone. I was not happy when it was announced there would be no franchise mode since that's pretty much all I play in sports games. Personally I don't care about things like the "crib", 1st person football, and all that other stuff. But I have to have franchise mode. And like I said, with all of 2K's advertising about "the resurrection of video game football" I was really disappointed to find it was just a bare-bones port. I'd already played the hell out of 2K5 and didn't want the same experience for another console cycle so I walked. And to be honest, I got more enjoyment out of NCAA 07 than I did out of APF both on the field and off the field. That's just me. I don't claim to be the benchmark for what constitutes a valid football gaming experience. I just know I had fun with NCAA 07, and isn't that the whole point to begin with? These are video games, nothing to be taken so seriously as many do on these forums. To hear some of these guys talk it sounds like EA raped their mothers or something and they have so much pent up hatred it's sometimes hard to believe they're actually just talking about a video game (not saying you're one of them or anything)..
You would have a hard time believing it but unfortunately I won't. I knew before the game came out that it was not going to be where people had placed it I think that was one of the biggest disappointments with All PRo too. People wanted 2k to hand EA their a$$ not put out a game that is on par.

Second EA has had over 100 people working on Madden previously. I knew people who worked there (now laid off) and still know a couple who are currently on the team. They do not have 100 now but previously they did. 2k's team is radically smaller than EA's. The primary A.I work was done by 2 people. 2k does not have the hands that EA has on all of their sports games. And the football game was no where close to their best effort. It was simply on par. But that should register as a problem. EA was already 3 years in and you have a game whose primary A.I was only done by two people and it is on par That's not good in both directions.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #28
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
...nobody who develops football games has the resources and access to NFL that EA does and for EA to have that privilege no other game should even be mentioned in a sentence with their game...
And the crowd was in a stunned silence... His words like a cold blade straight through the heart. The Madden fanboy was dead... All honor long since vanished, his body fell lifeless to the ground. If the people didn't see the truth now, they never would.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #29
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
You would have a hard time believing it but unfortunately I won't. I knew before the game came out that it was not going to be where people had placed it I think that was one of the biggest disappointments with All PRo too. People wanted 2k to hand EA their a$$ not put out a game that is on par.

Second EA has had over 100 people working on Madden previously. I knew people who worked there (now laid off) and still know a couple who are currently on the team. They do not have 100 now but previously they did. 2k's team is radically smaller than EA's. The primary A.I work was done by 2 people. 2k does not have the hands that EA has on all of their sports games. And the football game was no where close to their best effort. It was simply on par. But that should register as a problem. EA was already 3 years in and you have a game whose primary A.I was only done by two people and it is on par That's not good in both directions.
Wow, you certainly know your stuff. Another great post. Some poeple just refuse to see EA for what they really are.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
And the crowd was in a stunned silence... His words like a cold blade straight through the heart. The Madden fanboy was dead... All honor long since vanished, his body fell lifeless to the ground. If the people didn't see the truth now, they never would.
That pretty much says it all.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #31
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
the Madden fanboy cannot be killed.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #32
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Some poeple just refuse to see EA for what they really are.

another typical corporation?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »