Home

Madden NFL '09 and the ESPN License !!!!

This is a discussion on Madden NFL '09 and the ESPN License !!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2008, 06:48 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 19
Re: Madden NFL '09 and the ESPN License !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
I think the answer has already been given.

Perhaps ESPN doesn't want it's branding all over the game. Perhaps, it's only true interest is to provide content online through video games.

Now, the argument has been made that 2K used ESPN branding so why the difference now. Maybe ESPN changed their mind. Maybe there was something about having the ESPN name plastered all over a video game that irritated them. That made them feel like they weren't focusing on the bigger picture - providing online content through video games.

ESPN doesn't need it's name all over a product. It is THE sports entertainment provider of the world. All it cares about now is spreading that entertainment. Their deal with EA/Madden does that.
I mean no offense to you when I say this. Please don't let EA fool you with their trickery. They are liars IMO. They make a promise, but don't follow though. On the other hand their adverstising is the best I've ever seen.

Here is what I thought Madden NFL 06 would look like, but it fell about 6 EA Sports years from that (12 years in real time). I was so pumped that I went out and bought an XBOX 360 just because of this video, which I later traded for a PS3 because of the beautiful Red Ring of Death. What a glorius light that is. Anyway check out this video.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/6081.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #42
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
has anyone ever considered that maybe this integrated content is actually how ESPN wants its license to be used?
While I, along with others like Countryboy, are upset that the implementation of ESPN presentation hasn't followed in the footsteps of the Berman halftime shows in 2k5, mercland's point is an entirely sensible one it seems to me. It is not directly in ESPN's best interest to have halftime shows, but promoting their own network lineup is. I don't know what the stipulations of the licensing agreement were, but it wouldn't surprise me if ESPN had some say in just how their product was presented. We know that the NFL has done this as well, limiting the effects of weather, the display of injuries, etc. This is simply to say that the blame game is more complicated than it may seem. Not that we don't know this as a community, but it does need to be said from time to time.

The older I get (yes, I digress to a "deep thoughts by Jack Handy" moment), the more I realize that the hypercorporatized atmosphere that dominates the videogame world isn't going anywhere and that hardcore gamers' interests will always be mitigated by corporate interest. The myth of a golden age where this wasn't the case is just that. It isn't a reality, and there's no hearkening back to it. What I think we're left with is a set of strategic compromises about what we want from our games and what developers want to give us. Perhaps we all just need to say the serenity prayer and move on .

Okay. I feel like a total douche for saying that, but now it's off my chest.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #43
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

I told you guys what it is already. EA used the cheapest and easiest way to put ESPN in their games. That's why the features in most of their games using ESPN are basically the same.

EA just wasn't about to go in and change all their graphics, fonts, and presentation when they didn't have to. That's how EA works(and most major companies), cut costs and maximize profits.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 05-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #44
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Trojan Man, part of the prayer is "give me the strength to change what I can." I do agree with us needed to accept that which we cannot change and having the wisdom to know the difference, though. I think many of us play armchair producer and movie critic. Or Internet-tough. Whats funny is that we don't get to tell Peter Jackson how to make movies or Ford how to build a car. We just don't go to the movie or we buy another brand of car. That's what is so good and bad about the whole Madden-exclusive thing. No perceived choice. But we are getting a feedback channel. Maybe we'll "have the wisdom" to use this opportunity for good. Words can either be a soothing balm or weapons.....

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 05-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #45
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankingsfan
Trojan Man, part of the prayer is "give me the strength to change what I can." I do agree with us needed to accept that which we cannot change and having the wisdom to know the difference, though. I think many of us play armchair producer and movie critic. Or Internet-tough. Whats funny is that we don't get to tell Peter Jackson how to make movies or Ford how to build a car. We just don't go to the movie or we buy another brand of car. That's what is so good and bad about the whole Madden-exclusive thing. No perceived choice. But we are getting a feedback channel. Maybe we'll "have the wisdom" to use this opportunity for good. Words can either be a soothing balm or weapons.....

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #46
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenps2
Whatever man, it's pathetic how people come up with conspiracy theories in trying to come up with excused to why maddens atmosphere and presentation has been lacking and neglected for many many years. Where are you guys getting this insider information other than from yourself sitting on a computer chair making up scenarios to bail EA out.

EA doesn't even need to use it's espn license to make the atmosphere better. So, there really are no valid excuses. What are your conspiracy theories regarding that fact?
You mad?

I think you're mad.

I'm not sure I follow you here. I gave you a bunch of "maybes". Never did I say it was definite. I'm just throwing another possibility out there.

If anything, you're the one spewing conspiracies by claiming that EA is just taking advantage of everything.

It's really kinda tiring for everyone to always find a way to attack Electronic Arts. It doesn't seem to occur to people that sometimes they don't make all the calls. EA isn't the one that decides what to do with ESPN content. ESPN does. It's their name and brand. So why is it that you automatically assume that EA is trying to pull a fast one on gamers?

By the way, drink some water because I think you're still mad.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 05-21-2008, 01:57 PM   #47
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by turftickler
I mean no offense to you when I say this. Please don't let EA fool you with their trickery. They are liars IMO. They make a promise, but don't follow though. On the other hand their adverstising is the best I've ever seen.

Here is what I thought Madden NFL 06 would look like, but it fell about 6 EA Sports years from that (12 years in real time). I was so pumped that I went out and bought an XBOX 360 just because of this video, which I later traded for a PS3 because of the beautiful Red Ring of Death. What a glorius light that is. Anyway check out this video.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/6081.html
No offense taken but I'm not sure how my comments should be taken to assume that I'm letting EA or anyone fool me.

I'm doing what I normally do on these boards...taking the devil's advocate approach. Maybe you don't know me but I'm surprised so few have actually realized that that's mostly what I do.

Everyone has an opinion and most follow the same path. Isn't it worth the time to perhaps consider the other opinion. That perhaps ESPN is the reason EA hasn't expanded on using their branding all over their game.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 05-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
You mad?

I think you're mad.

I'm not sure I follow you here. I gave you a bunch of "maybes". Never did I say it was definite. I'm just throwing another possibility out there.

If anything, you're the one spewing conspiracies by claiming that EA is just taking advantage of everything.

It's really kinda tiring for everyone to always find a way to attack Electronic Arts. It doesn't seem to occur to people that sometimes they don't make all the calls. EA isn't the one that decides what to do with ESPN content. ESPN does. It's their name and brand. So why is it that you automatically assume that EA is trying to pull a fast one on gamers?

By the way, drink some water because I think you're still mad.
Why would I be mad about anything? I don't even buy next-gen madden anymore. The PS2 and XBOX versions are the best, until ea doesn't something to make the Next-Gen Games stand out.

Who said EA is pulling anything? It's what they AREN'T doing that is the problem. The proof of lackluster atmosphere and presentation is in the madden product. It's as simple as that. Like I said EA doesn't even need the espn license to make a decent NFL atmosphere and presentation.

Last edited by maddenps2; 05-21-2008 at 04:50 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »