Home

Single Player Experience.....

This is a discussion on Single Player Experience..... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: Single Player Experience.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Brian,

Let me first say good post. I too, am a single player gamer. I have Xbox Live, but I hate losing the sim experience b/c some kid or jerk online doesn't play within the confines of the game. So instead, I'd rather play against the CPU (which is why I've been clammoring for an "On the Fly Adaptive A.I." but that's a different story).

I too previously thought that EA has been catering more to the online & casual crowd. But something tells me that's not right. With Ian & Phil coming here and interacting with us, I've come to believe they hold a special place for us hardcore gamers. Though franchise mode has not been what it could be these past few years, I think it'll see some major upgrades either this year (not likely though) or next year in Madden 10.

I wouldn't even go as far as to say online gaming is the future. There's always going to be a crowd of fans that opts not to play online.
When we were posting on the EA forums and I saw where Ian was talikng about the "hardcore" mode, I was like "yes.!" Then I read what he was saying. Hardcore= no cutscenes, fastest possible gameplay=tourney guys. I put that I feel a HARDCORE is someone who wants a 60 minute clock with cutscenes, Accel. clock, in-game saves. The whole "bells and whistles" presentation thing. That's a football fan to me. They want to be there for a while on Sundays and watch NFL network for all the stats. They don't want to have a "wham,bam, thank you mam." It's about getting into the whole experience, not getting it done with.

That's why I'm really concerned going forward. It seems that my definition of what makes a fulfilling football/gaming experience isn't the same english that Ian and Phil and Co. are speaking. I don't have a need for "tourney" Madden. I need something more traditional. And I still believe that APF was killed by not having a franchise mode far moreso than having legends......

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 06-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #18
Pro

Blazelore's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankingsfan
When we were posting on the EA forums and I saw where Ian was talikng about the "hardcore" mode, I was like "yes.!" Then I read what he was saying. Hardcore= no cutscenes, fastest possible gameplay=tourney guys. I put that I feel a HARDCORE is someone who wants a 60 minute clock with cutscenes, Accel. clock, in-game saves. The whole "bells and whistles" presentation thing. That's a football fan to me. They want to be there for a while on Sundays and watch NFL network for all the stats. They don't want to have a "wham,bam, thank you mam." It's about getting into the whole experience, not getting it done with.

That's why I'm really concerned going forward. It seems that my definition of what makes a fulfilling football/gaming experience isn't the same english that Ian and Phil and Co. are speaking. I don't have a need for "tourney" Madden. I need something more traditional. And I still believe that APF was killed by not having a franchise mode far moreso than having legends......
I'm trying to sit still but I'm real anxious about the franchise mode. I hoping they are with holding that information because they are saving the best for last.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #19
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

That rivalry game thing should be in NCAA more so than Madden (imo). Sure the NFL has rivalries (Chiefs/Raiders) all the NFC East teams, but i dont know tha tyou see a huge difference in terms of gameplay between regular games and rivalry games. Just my opinion,but it is nice to see them thinking outside the box a little.

Im also looking for a 60 min, full game play experience. the last time i really enjoyed madden was 07 or 06 on PS2 and i played 15 min quarters. I wanted it to be real. I ran the clock down, i shifted personnel, i ran the ball, i only threw deep when it was warranted. I ran the Bucs cover 2 (man i hate it in video games). I want the sim stuff to be more accurate, to see realistic trades and most importantly (for me in the offseason) see the CPU Draft WHAT THEY EFFING NEED!!!! No more 7 QB's on a roster with only 5 WR's or 4 CB's.

Sorry about the caps, i just want an engaging, realistic franchise mode.

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #20
Pro

Blazelore's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
That rivalry game thing should be in NCAA more so than Madden (imo). Sure the NFL has rivalries (Chiefs/Raiders) all the NFC East teams, but i dont know tha tyou see a huge difference in terms of gameplay between regular games and rivalry games. Just my opinion,but it is nice to see them thinking outside the box a little.

Im also looking for a 60 min, full game play experience. the last time i really enjoyed madden was 07 or 06 on PS2 and i played 15 min quarters. I wanted it to be real. I ran the clock down, i shifted personnel, i ran the ball, i only threw deep when it was warranted. I ran the Bucs cover 2 (man i hate it in video games). I want the sim stuff to be more accurate, to see realistic trades and most importantly (for me in the offseason) see the CPU Draft WHAT THEY EFFING NEED!!!! No more 7 QB's on a roster with only 5 WR's or 4 CB's.

Sorry about the caps, i just want an engaging, realistic franchise mode.
Lets just hope that when they do finally put up their blog about the franchise or when Russel puts his write up for it on the web we all can be silenced with a smile.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #21
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazelore
See you hit it dead on. The replay value is what justifies me paying 60 bucks for it. I'm 28 and I don't have time to play Madden like I use to but when I do I want to experience the deepest franchise as possible. head Coach is a dream of mine I just wish you could install it on the hard drive and run it concurrent with Madden man that would be a dream come true. With all the improvements 09 is getting it'll be a shame if all they did was just fix the simulation and stats. We need more than that.
You hit it spot on right there. For guys like us the replay value is highly diminished with this type of design choice. Like I said about APF, the replay value wasn't there. So no purchase. And games like NBA Live 06 and it's single season mode with no depth were dogged in the gaming press. (the gameplay stinking didn't help, either.)At the level games are now if a game has a 6 hour single player storyline, it's called shallow and it's value questioned. Not everyone wants to play team deathmatch. But I'll grant that multiplayer is now an expected feature and does add that replay value for many. But so is a good single player game a resonable expectation. Even GoW is trumping up it's single-player storyline this time. And let's not talk about The Show's RTTS mode, to bring it back into genre. I'm just hoping for a crumb here. But as time passes I'm slipping into my old questions about replay value and whether I might have to sit this one out. Help a brotha out here!

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #22
Pro

Blazelore's Arena

Quote:
You hit it spot on right there. For guys like us the replay value is highly diminished with this type of design choice. Like I said about APF, the replay value wasn't there. So no purchase. And games like NBA Live 06 and it's single season mode with no depth were dogged in the gaming press. (the gameplay stinking didn't help, either.)At the level games are now if a game has a 6 hour single player storyline, it's called shallow and it's value questioned. Not everyone wants to play team deathmatch. But I'll grant that multiplayer is now an expected feature and does add that replay value for many. But so is a good single player game a resonable expectation. Even GoW is trumping up it's single-player storyline this time. And let's not talk about The Show's RTTS mode, to bring it back into genre. I'm just hoping for a crumb here. But as time passes I'm slipping into my old questions about replay value and whether I might have to sit this one out. Help a brotha out here!
Now you see me eye to eye. Give me a reason to want to play my franchise for 10 to 15 seasons. Let's step the franchise up to next gen!!! With Head coach coming you already can see the type of potential it can have. Damn I'm really hoping I don't get let down because the gameplay and all is looking good but I can't spent 60 bucks on a game that I'll barely get past one season in then let it sit until I'm ready to trade it in. Can do it sorry!!
Old 06-02-2008, 12:38 PM   #23
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Ah yes, I remember Ian saying that and it really had me scratching my head. I thought to myself (and I may have posted this) that there is a misconception at EA that the hardcore crowd doesn't want the bells and whistles. However, it's the complete opposite. We want all the bells and whistles (and the loud horns too!!) We just simply want all the bull to be cut out: no pocket for the QB, Users sprinting back 20 yards and letting off a perfect pass, unrealistic player interactions, etc. I think Ian and co. is working on getting that cleaned up mainly for '10 and that's what I'm beginning to look forward to.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #24
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Ah yes, I remember Ian saying that and it really had me scratching my head. I thought to myself (and I may have posted this) that there is a misconception at EA that the hardcore crowd doesn't want the bells and whistles. However, it's the complete opposite. We want all the bells and whistles (and the loud horns too!!) We just simply want all the bull to be cut out: no pocket for the QB, Users sprinting back 20 yards and letting off a perfect pass, unrealistic player interactions, etc. I think Ian and co. is working on getting that cleaned up mainly for '10 and that's what I'm beginning to look forward to.
Well, I have seen my share of guys not wanting cutscenes and they just press A after a while because they get repetitive. And there are guys who just want the head to head hardcore experience online or off. But the've taken it too far in catering to the one crowd. I've gotten bored of cutscenes after a fashion as well and pressed the A button. But now I win the Super Bowl and get nothing. And the Team Entrances show the Weapons guys. It just seems the game has been taylor-made in presentation to promote Madden, not the NFL experience..

I'm not one to gripe about the whole ESPN or NFL network implementation deal, They brought up a legitimate point about one or the other getting mad. I can buy that. But here's my thing. Why not have both or really blow out a EASN resurrection? Some type of presentation value. It just doesn't seem to be a priority. What does seem to be a priority is A) getting new gamers involved in Madden (see backtrack, virtual trainer and Rewind) and B) getting a single game upgrade for presentation so each game isn't singularly boring. But it still doesn't tie together the disjointed boring single player experience this gen. So for us the replay value tanks, quickly. And I don't know how they man projects there, but it seems they either don't have enough folks working presentation or, worse yet, have made a choice to take presentation in a direction that makes single player a redheaded stepchild to the other aspects of things......

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »