Home

Graphics or Gameplay? Need More Space?

This is a discussion on Graphics or Gameplay? Need More Space? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2008, 04:50 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Graphics or Gameplay? Need More Space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademiks
It just seems like a lot of people have no sense if they think the 360's disk space is holding back Madden.

Even if they had all the disc space in the world, the turnaround period for Madden is too short to give you all of these things you're asking for.

As if the game would be photorealistic and play exactly like real football if we all put the game on the almightly blu-ray.
Quit trying to portray others as ignorant, nobody thinks madden is supposed to have photo-realistic graphics and or more disc space would instantly make the game better. If your trying to make a point you should try to do it without insulting people and putting words into other peoples mouths.

Also for those saying cut this and cut that, first of all that's a bad idea, second of all the things you want to cut in some cases isn't going remedy what you want changed.

Last edited by maddenps2; 07-10-2008 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:06 AM   #18
All Star

OVR: 33

The stuff the OP just posted i'd assume would account for very little disc space and time. Like the position animation? a basic gif could do that and those are like what 50kbs.

I don't see how can you remove tutorials from the game. That assumes that the majority are hardcore gamers. Obviously casual gamers is ea's new target crowd.

Eapsorts extras, thats just a few trailers of their other games. Cross-promoting. I don't see why they would take it out. It's just a compilation of clips from other Easports games.

Customize ring and showcase is just another gimmick. I'd think it wouldn't take that long to implement or that taxing on the cpu.

What about all those people who enjoy superstar mode?

Imo. Ea just needs to take the bullet and chalk up more cash for more developers and programmers. Thats the only way to unalienate its hardcore fanbase.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:30 AM   #19
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

We arent maxed out, they have to refine things year to year, tweak the code, its not like we will be getting the same game every year (no comments). Progressive lighting will be back in next year, that takes up space, its just a matter of having time to get it all in there. They are able to do more on the new technology, but it takes time to code and they are working on a 10 month dev cycle.

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #20
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

The only thing that need the space are cutscenes and textures. The code is tiny compared to the textures.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 07-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #21
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
We arent maxed out, they have to refine things year to year, tweak the code, its not like we will be getting the same game every year (no comments). Progressive lighting will be back in next year, that takes up space, its just a matter of having time to get it all in there. They are able to do more on the new technology, but it takes time to code and they are working on a 10 month dev cycle.
Yeah and thats really frustrating. Ea needs to add more developers, its the only real solution to our incessant clamors about the game.

But is Ea really commited to dishing out money for developers/programmers for the benefits of consumers as opposed to its shareholders?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #22
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Yeah and thats really frustrating. Ea needs to add more developers, its the only real solution to our incessant clamors about the game.

But is Ea really commited to dishing out money for developers/programmers for the benefits of consumers as opposed to its shareholders?
Yeah, if software development actually worked that way.

However, it does not.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 07-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 52

Yeah just to re-affirm what's already been said:

- Graphics and gameplay DO fight for space, but not in a disc space way. They fight for memory, and as someone said, 360 and PS3 both have 512. If there was 1 gig of memory tomorrow, we'd have no problem adding something like fully stocked sidelines...it would probably be a one or two week task to finish. We could also double our animation numbers as well with no problems whatsoever. I pray the next consoles have like 4 gig of RAM or something absurd like that so we can really go crazy with more characters (that's usually the big limiter...not CPU cycles).
- We are not limited in disc space...we still fit fine on a DVD-DL...with TONS of room to spare on Blu-Ray. We're actually trying to think of ways to utilize Blu-Ray more next year to give PS3 a little extra love. Tutorials, trophies, HOF videos, gifs, EA Sports Extras, etc...have little to do with the in-game product other than the fact that time was spent on them initially that wasn't spent elsewhere. And of course now they have small "maintenance" costs each year. But nothing out in the menu systems (i.e. before you get into game) is limiting anything in gameplay.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #24
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
Yeah just to re-affirm what's already been said:

- Graphics and gameplay DO fight for space, but not in a disc space way. They fight for memory, and as someone said, 360 and PS3 both have 512. If there was 1 gig of memory tomorrow, we'd have no problem adding something like fully stocked sidelines...it would probably be a one or two week task to finish. We could also double our animation numbers as well with no problems whatsoever. I pray the next consoles have like 4 gig of RAM or something absurd like that so we can really go crazy with more characters (that's usually the big limiter...not CPU cycles).
- We are not limited in disc space...we still fit fine on a DVD-DL...with TONS of room to spare on Blu-Ray. We're actually trying to think of ways to utilize Blu-Ray more next year to give PS3 a little extra love. Tutorials, trophies, HOF videos, gifs, EA Sports Extras, etc...have little to do with the in-game product other than the fact that time was spent on them initially that wasn't spent elsewhere. And of course now they have small "maintenance" costs each year. But nothing out in the menu systems (i.e. before you get into game) is limiting anything in gameplay.
Great post, and thank you for shedding some light ont his for us. Its the hardware (like he said, the RAM). Disc space is fine. Plus, ive never really coded anything, so its hard for me (or those who havent coded) to know how much room stuff takes up.

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »