Home

Graphics or Gameplay? Need More Space?

This is a discussion on Graphics or Gameplay? Need More Space? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #41
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Graphics or Gameplay? Need More Space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
Yeah just to re-affirm what's already been said:

- Graphics and gameplay DO fight for space, but not in a disc space way. They fight for memory, and as someone said, 360 and PS3 both have 512. If there was 1 gig of memory tomorrow, we'd have no problem adding something like fully stocked sidelines...it would probably be a one or two week task to finish. We could also double our animation numbers as well with no problems whatsoever. I pray the next consoles have like 4 gig of RAM or something absurd like that so we can really go crazy with more characters (that's usually the big limiter...not CPU cycles).
- We are not limited in disc space...we still fit fine on a DVD-DL...with TONS of room to spare on Blu-Ray. We're actually trying to think of ways to utilize Blu-Ray more next year to give PS3 a little extra love. Tutorials, trophies, HOF videos, gifs, EA Sports Extras, etc...have little to do with the in-game product other than the fact that time was spent on them initially that wasn't spent elsewhere. And of course now they have small "maintenance" costs each year. But nothing out in the menu systems (i.e. before you get into game) is limiting anything in gameplay.
Do you have any idea how much an extra 512 would have increased the price on these gaming systems?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #42
Banned

OVR: 25

I thought I suggested cut scenes before...like pre-rendered cinematic clips that when triggered go to a close up type thing...
Old 07-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 4

I thought the cutscenes in 06 and 07 were great, my only complaint was that there werent nearly enough of them. The angles couldve been varied for each scene, different views couldve been taken... all kinds of creative stuff couldve been done with those... I used to like the ones with the coaches because the coaches looked so cool. I also saw in 08 that the lack of a no-huddle cutscene hurt big time, because the players would look like they were drunk, bumping into each other trying to get to the line, lol. It was horrifying to watch.

I would think there would be a lot more resources to use now that the grass is no longer 3D and eating up so much.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #44
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou23
Do you have any idea how much an extra 512 would have increased the price on these gaming systems?

From Dean Takahashi’s book "Xbox 360 Uncloaked" it was an estimated $900 million decision to go from 256 (originally planned) to go to 512MB (over the life of the console), so an extra 512 would have been fiscally irresponsible for these machines at that time.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #45
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
I thought I suggested cut scenes before...like pre-rendered cinematic clips that when triggered go to a close up type thing...
You can have credit. We just think alike. That's semi a good thing. You don't want to hear my voices.....LOL

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #46
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
You can have credit. We just think alike. That's semi a good thing. You don't want to hear my voices.....LOL
Lmao@Brain!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #47
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Can a "cutscene" foreground be laid over a real time background?

Not during gameplay, of course, but have celebration going on or something in the foreground, but everything behind is what's normally going on during the post-play.

Just a thought.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:41 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Can a "cutscene" foreground be laid over a real time background?

Not during gameplay, of course, but have celebration going on or something in the foreground, but everything behind is what's normally going on during the post-play.

Just a thought.
Yep, it can. We do this already for referee cut-scenes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »