Home

Tom Hammond in real time...

This is a discussion on Tom Hammond in real time... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Tom Hammond in real time...

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/sha...D_ATM_HL_L0686

Hammond sounds awesome with this call. Hopefully for 2010 he can bring this kind of emotion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Tom Hammond in real time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRETCHARUSS
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/sha...D_ATM_HL_L0686

Hammond sounds awesome with this call. Hopefully for 2010 he can bring this kind of emotion.

Yeah, he's not that bad at all. He also does Play By Play For Notre Dame on NBC also I believe.

Too bad he sounds like Styxx's Mr. Roboto in the game.

Twitch Stream
Old 08-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyBanana
Yeah, he's not that bad at all. He also does Play By Play For Notre Dame on NBC also I believe.

Too bad he sounds like Styxx's Mr. Roboto in the game.
I have to agree with you. My suspicion is that there was a timid audio producer in the studio when he came in to record and he didn't want to upset Hammonds by asking him to re-read a bunch of lines. It's been said many times before but Collinsworth did an AMAZING job with his part...Hammonds...not so much. It's listenable...but if you close your eyes and just listen to his commentary, it sounds like it should be on a PS1 version of Madden.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

I think he'll get it. This was the first year, and Hammond isnt on the same level as the top tier announcers imo. Seems like he read the script for what it was, didnt imagine it being replayed while there was action going on.

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

I've already turned the commentary off. While I feel that CC isn't bad at all, I just don't think they had enough time to get enough lines into the game.

I think I hear '...not the most physically gifted QB...' every game. Including one where I was playing as the Pats and using Tom Brady. Later in the game he calls him a future Hall of Famer.

Another game I hear that controlling JaMarcus Russel. Huh? If he is anything it's physically gifted. If you can heave a football 60 yards from your knees you are physically gifted, though obviously its not a guarentee that he will be a good QB.

I also hate when you hear CC giggling at himself and then Hammond just comes in 'QB under center' or whatever - It's like they just can't hear each other, there is no banter.

I think these guys have some serious potential if they can get them to record a bunch of new lines for next year, along with Hammond pretty much redoing all of his. It would be nice if they had some places where they converse, not just each doing his own thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
MVP

mastershake88's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
I have to agree with you. My suspicion is that there was a timid audio producer in the studio when he came in to record and he didn't want to upset Hammonds by asking him to re-read a bunch of lines. It's been said many times before but Collinsworth did an AMAZING job with his part...Hammonds...not so much. It's listenable...but if you close your eyes and just listen to his commentary, it sounds like it should be on a PS1 version of Madden.

The problem with most of EA audio commentary is the lack of in between sentences.

problem 1. Interaction.This happened on the past maddens as well infact all of them the issue is there needs to be a interaction between the two. It was the same after madden say something to al and then al would say nothing. leaving the awkward silence.

problem 2. Excitment. This was an issue between pat, michaels and now hammonds. Ncaa got this somewhat good. But the way to clean this up and make this better is and this sounds crazy, but get rid of the script and just let the breeze take the leaf. They can still use a script but forget it. I bet you It will sound better.
Decade of Excellence
FHS '06, UMBC,'13,CCBC '15 UMUC '15
Old 08-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake88
But the way to clean this up and make this better is and this sounds crazy, but get rid of the script and just let the breeze take the leaf. They can still use a script but forget it. I bet you It will sound better.
I have limited play-by-play experience, doing mostly college baseball and high school football, but if I were ever to record some play-by-play for a video game, I'd prefer it be without a script. Just show me a play on a big screen and let me call it as though I were actually at the stadium. Give me talking points, don't give me exact verbage. That, to me, would be the most natural sounding way of doing it.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I don't care for Hammond in real life, so that already gives him one strike with me. Also, as said above, he lines sound scripted. Now we all know they are, but its been mentioned the Collinsworth kind of added his own fluff to his lines, which is noticeable.

Almost all commentary in video games gets old to me after a while and this one will be no different.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »